1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Caps on housing benefit

Discussion in 'benefits and housing' started by lighterthief, Jan 2, 2012.

1. lighterthief

lighterthief Well-Known Member

Just reading this on the beeb: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/mobile/uk-16384739

So basically the HB cap for a 2 bed flat is £290pw. This strikes me as surprisingly high (it would cover a monthly rent of £1,250) - am I just behind the times or have I missed something?

2. _angel_

_angel_ the arson dog

There was someone on BBC news said their rent was £2000 a week for a modest semi in London. Lets forget about the benefit for a minute, this should be illegal fullstop. That landlord needs shooting.

geminisnake and Greebo like this.
  3. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus would be a rubbish god

Local caps can be a lot lower.

4. _angel_

_angel_ the arson dog

It's a lot lower in Leeds.

5. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Untermensch, and proud!

National cap. Local authorities will be expected to tie their caps to local prices, to an absolute maximum of the national cap amounts, which means that people going on HB in the more expensive/housing shortaged areas will get it up the arse.

But hey, that doesn't matter, as long as the 80 or so households that were receiving HB at more than £30,000 per annum no longer get it!

Jesus, these miserable government fucks really don't see the consequences of this, allied to the massive shortage of social housing. :facepalm:

dagger likes this.
  6. romeo2001

romeo2001 Well-Known Member

I think they do - they just dont care - its the whole thing about redistribution of voters (started (?) by labour). Also the middle classes have has to "tighten their belts" (I genuinely rtead and article in the Independent about "new middle class poverty" that stated how traumatic it was to have to return a designer present theyd bought on Regent Street) they think people on the bottom should suffer as well.

Its also because its only the long term consequences that will affect the macro/ general population but as no politician ever thinks any further tan the next election who gives a fuck

As an aside Im about to start HB - my LHA is 42/week and the cheapest I can find is £55 - it is of course in terrible condition and run by an even worse landlord!

Greebo likes this.
  7. bmd

bmd and you will see me

£49pw here for a 1 bedroom flat. -£9pw if it has 2 bedrooms and there's only 1 of you.

8. weepiper

weepiper eb slootly non verbal

LHA here for 3 beds (what i'm entitled to) is £196 and my rent is £150 a week so i'm ok as long as i stay in this (damp, rat-infested building, flooded twice this year...) flat. There's nothing else available for less than £190 a week anywhere within travelling to school distance, including within bus range. I've been looking.

9. cypher79

cypher79 Well-Known Member

capped at £215 per month round here for under 35's

you cant even get a 1 bed council flat for that :facepalm:

although theres a 6 month 'buffer period' where it gets reduced to £250...

10. Jackobi

Jackobi swallows anything

LHA rates are not applicable to social housing tenants.

11. weepiper

that's because they have decreed that if you're a single person under 35 you have to share a flat with others.

12. weepiper

Actually I've just checked and the LHA rate for my area for three beds has gone down to £178.85 a week now. £114 pw for a single bed flat, £66.92 for a shared flat room rate. Ridiculous, flats at those costs just don't exist. Single rooms get advertised for £400+ a month.

13. equationgirl

equationgirl red Clydeside

Those figures are really low for your area, weepiper, way too low. I'd like to know how these figures are determined, rents haven't been that low in a long long time.

Greebo likes this.
  14. weepiper

Crazy isn't it :(

15. equationgirl

equationgirl red Clydeside

So where's this money supposed to come from to make shortfall?

Oh, wait, silly me, people will just have to work more, right? :facepalm:

Greebo likes this.
  16. weepiper

Only if I worked more, they'd take the corresponding money off my housing benefit.

17. Plumdaff

Plumdaff Nid wyf yn y swyddfa ar hyn o bryd

Jesus, it wasn't unheard of to pay £300+ for a room when I lived in Edinburgh a decade ago. Those rates are crazy.

18. weepiper

And because there's a high demand for student flats, it's nearly impossible for even medium to biggish families to find affordable accommodation, because all the landlords know if they pay out for an HMO licence they can easily charge £400 per room on a 3-bed flat, making the rent for the whole flat £1200 a month.

19. dagger

dagger New Member

Really im only entitled too 50 pound. A week now. I think the problem is they have not slowly taken the Housing benefit. Down they have just cut it with out no thought for anyone. I asked them what i should do'' On the phone. Now im homeless They just told me they don't care. One women told me i should not have a 2 bed house its my own folt. I was like i have been here for years and i am that ill i cannot leave my house. And you are telling me I should not be living here'' 4 years back i was not told this was going to happen. They just wont us all too die. Im sure of it I no i sound stupid but how is someone too ill too leave their house. Supposed too move too another place. And were i am their is none cheaper. What do they think people are going too do, Or what do they wont ill people too do. They have made no exceptions for the ill people. ether they move or What ??
    They are heartless

20. purenarcotic

purenarcotic Conveniently Pocket Sized

Where do they think all these people are going to go when they find themselves with nowhere to live. The streets? The pavements are going to be lined with people at this rate ffs. What are we going have, a throwback Cathy Come Home style hostel where parents are separated and kids are pulled away from their parents for no good reason?

God knows how bad things are going to be when I finish my social work training, there's going to be no fucking services to send anybody to for assistance, fuck's sake.

Greebo and dagger like this.
  21. marty21

marty21 my gran was in the war with bombs and shit

The Tories expect private landlords to reduce the rent levels to the cap levels for HB claimants - lol - if they want to reduce the HB bill - bring back the fair rent legislation - it is still on the books - but only for pre 1989 tenants - so there can't be many of them still about - private landlords could then share the pain - and earners would benefit too if they want to - you used to have to apply for gave a fair rent set by the rent officer - it wasn't compulsory.

Greebo likes this.
  22. ericjarvis

ericjarvis give a feck for the feckless

I disagree. I don't think the Tories expect rents to go down. I think they expect increased homelessness to drive house prices upwards thereby increasing their own bank balances at the mere cost of a few thousand poor people dying.

dagger and Greebo like this.
  23. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Untermensch, and proud!

You forgot to mention that reinflating the housing bubble also falsely signals to the market the buoyancy (hah!) of the economy.

24. marty21

marty21 my gran was in the war with bombs and shit

plenty of younger people have council flats - better not tell the government that or they'll stop the under 35s from being given council flats or housing association flats :facepalm:

Greebo likes this.
  25. purenarcotic

purenarcotic Conveniently Pocket Sized

That will probably be their next move.

26. geminisnake

geminisnake a complex mass of conflicting ideas

It's not HB that needs capped it's rents but hey that would affect all their landlord buddies. Can't have that can we?? :mad:

StoneRoad, marty21, ohmyliver and 4 others like this.
  27. GarfieldLeChat

GarfieldLeChat fucking awesome but wrong

tbf how are landlords who've bought into the whole it's easiest to mortgage with abuy to let supposed to reduce rents when they were conned into buying at inflated values and on dodgy credit...

Time for a global property re-valuation it's the only way forward...

Greebo likes this.
  28. dagger

dagger New Member

Yep your right. David camron to axe under 25s Housing benefits.Hes trying too anyway. God sake when will he stop. They have only been in gov for 2 and a half years. how many lives are they going too ruin. Before they stop''

Greebo likes this.
  29. ShortyKar

ShortyKar Flying by the seat of my pants...

This has already pretty much happened anyway...About a year ago the tenancy for my house share with friends was up and we decided to go our separate ways. I was 24 and as I am still essentially training for my profession, do not earn nearly enough to rent or buy and pay bills and other life costs on my own. With this in mind I visited the offices for both Thurrock and Havering councils for some advice on what I can do - I could not possibly go back to living with my parents (if you knew my mum, you would know why) and had no possibility at that time of lodging or sharing with other friends. I was told by both that before I am 25 that I would only be eligable for benefit for a hostel or house share (neither of which I wanted) but at £19k a year before tax I was earning too much for housing benefit anyway...I was told by one staff member at Havering that I literally would be better off to stop working altogether and have a child. DISGUSTING!!!! I have since had a (small-ish) pay rise and living in a rented one bed with my fella who is paid the same wage as me - positively struggling. But again, no prospect of housing benefit of any description as we are both full time employed and again, apparently earn too much! I feel it pertinient to add at this point that once our rent, council tax, ever increasing utilities bills and travel to work are paid we have virtually NO MONEY LEFT! We struggle to feed ourselves and cannot even begin to save money for furniture and so sleep in a collapsed bed, have most lights not working, don't have a sofa etc etc. I know that so many people have it a lot worse, which upsets me even more - it's depressing when every day is a struggle and I can't even begin to imagine how awful it must be for people who are worse off than us.

So, please somebody tell me why on Gods Earth does the mindless wonder that is David Cameron think that it is a good idea (?????) to scrap housing benefit for under 25s? Also, to only grant housing benefit for those who are on, well, benefits?? He needs a harsh and stark reality check because in my personal experience so far, between the ages of 20 and 25 have definitely the most difficult in terms of having enough money to live, to have a safe place to stay and to still have some money to feed and clothe yourself!!

StoneRoad and Greebo like this.
  30. StoneRoad

StoneRoad heckling from the back!

this latest "idea" of cameron's is further proof that he has no idea of what things are really like for the vast majority of the UK population.
    personally, I think it is all part of a "masterplan" to crush the spirit out of the people (except for the tiny majority who own most of the land, and fund the tory party out of their off-shored income that they don't pay tax on......)

ShortyKar and Greebo like this.