1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you help my parents find a car which is easy to get in and out of?

Discussion in 'transport' started by trashpony, Apr 7, 2010.

1. trashpony

trashpony The kittens are taking over the world

They need a new one but they struggle with a lot of cars because they are too low down and their knees are not great (they are in their 70s). The only ones with reasonably high seats I've seen are 4x4 or people carriers, neither of which they really want.

Any suggestions? :)

2. Mrs Magpie

Mrs Magpie On a bit of break...

3. trashpony

Good idea :) I shan't tell them I have spoken to them, they aren't disabled and may take offence :D

4. The Groke

The Groke hot hail/Paging Dr. Beat

How about one of the "mini" SUVs.

The Nissan Qashqai (stupid name) is a nice little car - I see lots of them here - and they are fairly tall and accommodating, slightly higher off the ground than a standard saloon or hatchback but are not actually all that big or difficult to drive.

These reviews all mentioned ease of access as a plus and there is a new diesel version out which promises good economy.

5. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

Ford Focus C-Max

6. Johnny Canuck3

Johnny Canuck3 Well-Known Member

7. kabbes

kabbes kah-bus

Fiat Panda 4x4. It's the size of a Fiat Panda (obviously) and still has the mpg to match, near enough. But with its extra 4x4 height, getting in and out of it is easy.

You can get one brand new online for about £8k too. It's worth a look, at least.

8. trashpony

That's a possible - their friend has a Honda similar I think and they liked that

Good ideas but unfortunately my mother hates Fords and my dad won't buy another Fiat since his foot went through the floor on one we used to have when I was a kid :D

9. kabbes

kabbes kah-bus

If we're bringing 20+ year-old prejudice to bear on the problem then we're all in big trouble...

10. beesonthewhatnow

Renault Megane Scenic then.

11. trashpony

They are old people. What do you expect? :D

I wondered about that or a Picasso but they're people carriers aren't they?

12. Ax^

Ax^ Silly Rabbit

hmm seen one of these recently a peugeot 1007 good little small car with easy access front doors slide straight back

[​IMG]

maybe not in yellow but

13. beesonthewhatnow

Sort of, they're not full sized 7 seaters like an Espace, but more like beefed up versions of normal hatchbacks.

Of the two the Picasso looks more "people carrier", the Renault is a bit more stylish.

[​IMG]

14. trashpony

Think that's too small. My mum has a toyota at the moment. Think it's an Avensis. Or a Corolla, a sort of mini cab sized saloon car anyway. Needs to have four doors to get my kid in the back

15. Hulot

Hulot Ooh, me parts!

Difficult to say without knowing the budget, but how about the Mercedes A-Class or B-Class?

16. pinkmonkey

pinkmonkey 2.4 hour party person

How about a 5 door Golf? El Jugs parents had one - his mum had MS, they got one on the motability scheme. The seats are very upright, there is lots of legroom front and back and the boot has lots of space.

17. trashpony

That might be good. My mum had a problem with one of the cars they tried out the other day because she has really long legs (which I didn't inherit :mad:) and she couldn't get the seat/steering wheel/pedal thing comfortable so leg room is important.

18. beesonthewhatnow

19. Oswaldtwistle

Oswaldtwistle Banned

If the Scenic is too big, what about a Modus? Size of a Clio, but taller. Diesel is 30 quid road tax, 65 mpg (or 114 g/km in new money).

EDIT: When you say 'new car', do you actually mean new? There is one here for 5.5 grand second hand http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RENAULT-MODUS...ewItemQQptZAutomobiles_UK?hash=item2305eab7ed and because old people tend to have em, they tend to be well looked after/not thrashed like some Clios

20. trashpony

No, used. But 2 to 3 years old rather than old old.

You will like this - I am having my car fixed today so have a courtesy Corsa. It has automatic headlights :eek: :D

21. Oswaldtwistle

Oswaldtwistle Banned

All new cars will have to have headlights on at all times soon. :facepalm:

Back on topic : yeah Modus has been around since 2004 so no problem there. Also consider the Ford Fusion- as Modus is to Clio, so is Fusion to Fiesta. Personally I think the Modus is better looking though

22. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Untermensch, and proud!

He's probably going to have to swallow a people carrier or a 4 x 4 (or 4 x 4-style) car.

My dad went from a standard saloon car to a Honda CR-V a couple of years ago when his age and is arthritic spine finally caught up with him. You can find 2-wheel drive only versions of the CR-V, and the 2 litre engine he got gives him the same fuel consumption as his 1.8 litre saloon did around the country lanes and b-roads where they live (not as good on the motorway, though). He loves the fact that it no longer takes him a couple of minutes to scrabble his way out of the car (he can just "step" in and out), and that, because of the tailgate design of the Honda, he doesn't have to hoik stuff over a sill to stow it in the boot area, or lift the spare out of a well.

E2A:
    2010-model CR-V
    [​IMG]

23. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

24. spanglechick

spanglechick Lying in the gutter, looking like a star.

My mum has arthritis in both hips and both knees, and bought a Yaris for exactly this reason. Not that odd van-looking one above, though.

25. Roadkill

Roadkill Captain Ignatius Aloysius Atcherson

My first thought on reading this was also 'Yaris.' My mum has one - a 2004 model - and a friend of hers who has some problems with her leg also bought one recently, since she found mum's very comfortable and easy to get in and out of. I've not driven the newer model but the older one's a very good little car - comfortable, reliable, handles pretty well, and with the vvt engine it's quite nippy as well. :cool:

26. geminisnake

geminisnake a complex mass of conflicting ideas

I have a few friends whose parents have bought these mainly because they are easy to get in/out of with dodgy hips.

27. free spirit

free spirit more tea vicar?

[​IMG]

?

(sorry)

28. Roadkill

Roadkill Captain Ignatius Aloysius Atcherson

^ Far too expensive. How about:

[​IMG]

29. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

I've had both that and the ordinary Yaris. That one may look a bit peculiar but it's much easier to get in and out of- no bending- and is very roomy inside. The back door opens from the side, as well, making it a lot easier to put stuff in and out.

30. weepiper

weepiper eb slootly non verbal

this is what my elderly ex-neighbours drive - the seating is noticably higher compared to my Peugeot 406 or my ex's Skoda Octavia for example.