1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cameron suggests cutting housing benefit

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by Quartz, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Quartz

Quartz Eclectic contrarian plebeian

Grrr....

BBC article here.

Completely half-baked as usual.

Well, Mr Cameron, what about those who want but have no jobs? Well, Mr Cameron, what about those who are lucky enough to have a job, but it's far from their parents? Well, Mr Cameron, what about... well, you get the idea.

Hint of an early breakup of the coalition?

2. Belushi

Belushi 01 811 8055

Will under 25's be paying reduced taxes if they aren't entitled to the same benefits as other adults?

3. Quartz

Quartz Eclectic contrarian plebeian

Of course not!

And I accidentally deleted a particularly glaring category: what about those who have no parents?

4. Mrs Magpie

Mrs Magpie On a bit of break...

That was my first thought. What about children leaving care? :(

5. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

What makes you suggest that? The tories are loving the coalition, they're not going to break it up.

6. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Turned out nice again

What about young people fleeing abusive parents or an abusive relationship?

7. mentalchik

mentalchik far too big for her boots

what happens to people with kids who will already be under 25 ?

8. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Turned out nice again

There will be another u turn

abstract1 likes this.
  9. mentalchik

mentalchik far too big for her boots

"a couple living with their parents and saving to get married"

is 'call me dave' living in some sort of time warp...........

i live in a small two bedroomed flat with my youngest (aged 18) how would either of my two eldest live with me and save to get married ?

10. mr.tease

mr.tease New Member

He is absolutely clueless about the real world- for a lot of under 25 year olds, living with their parents is not an option due to sexual, physical or verbal abuse. On top of that, a lot of parents kick their kids out of the house as soon as they can (some parents genuinely don't give a crap about their kids)- why should a young person then be penalized by the state when they did not choose to be made homeless, and cannot force their parents to let them return?

Furthermore- it's complete BS anyway! If Cameron really is motivated by the belief that young people should live with their parents etc, then why is his government about to start penalizing parents who have their kids living with them? The government is cutting housing benefit to households for each young person they have living with them, claiming that those young people (probably unemployed and out of education due to the governments policies) should be contributing in rent to their parents.

So essentially the governments policy is that if a young person lives at home with their parents, the household will lose some housing benefit, and if the young person leaves home they will lose all of their housing benefit. Why does he hate young people?

11. sheothebudworths

sheothebudworths Up the bum - no babies!!!

And presumably if the parent/s were in receipt of housing benefit themselves, they wouldn't then be able to claim for the adult children either (the thread in here by teena being a case in point...five children but three of them adults, with her current benefits putting her above the coming benefit cap so now almost definitely unlikely to even be able to afford a two bed place).

Wtf is he on? :mad:

Edited...got it a bit wrong!

12. _angel_

_angel_ the arson dog

Does he actually want another riot? It seems like this is exactly what he wants.
    Because he's too stupid to realise that a lot of young people move to look for work and need to claim housing benefit while looking and even after finding a job, he's going to stop people from moving away from areas of high unemployment. Ie the total opposite of tory 'get on your bike and look for work' ideology.

13. _angel_

_angel_ the arson dog

They have always epically hated young and poor. What he hasn't realised is this will also affect young unemployed graduates just the same. Trapped from moving to look for work forever.
    I guess they want to see young mums punished into giving up their kids if their families won't support them.
    Of course the cost of looking after kids won't cost the state a penny.

Greebo and nino_savatte like this.
  14. nino_savatte

nino_savatte No pasaran!

The real solution is to pay everyone a living wage. Typical arse-about-face thinking from a braindead troupe of former public schoolboys.

15. DotCommunist

DotCommunist virtue without terror is impotent.

dunno why they are making plans for after the next GE, well, other than 'who will be in the shadow cabinet' obviously. Not you clegg, you have served your purpose

16. Tacita

Tacita Pipe Dreamer

totally unworkable but paving the way for similar attacks on the vulnerable. It all goes into making people feel aggrieved and divided

Meltingpot likes this.
  17. S☼I

S☼I human being not a human doing

18. ItWillNeverWork

ItWillNeverWork outlook innacurate

Yup. My first thought when I heard about this was "I predict a riot". It's an utterly barmy idea.

Meltingpot and Pickman's model like this.
  19. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Domination Snert

Probably.

Start to privatise the justice system and what's the next logical step? Got to stimulate demand to keep the shareholders happy.

Mr Smin likes this.
  20. bmd

bmd and you will see me

It's already started, Probation is the low hanging fruit.

Captain Hurrah likes this.
  21. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse wax weasel

Aw, that's nice. Dave's going to cut out his tongue.

22. ItWillNeverWork

Also, private prisons will need a decent supply of healthy young folk to maximise the profits from prison labour. It's all beginning to make sense.

23. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx purves grundy - definitely a bloke

Furthermore, they may have already lost their house and downgraded because of the spare room tax

Greebo likes this.
  24. goldenecitrone

goldenecitrone ubi sunt

With no jobs and no housing, prison is going to look increasingly attractive to young people. Roof over your head, roads to dig, free meals.

Meltingpot and Greebo like this.
  25. ItWillNeverWork

Danny Alexander is busy not talking about this on BBC1. What a nob.

26. ItWillNeverWork

How do I sign up?

27. goldenecitrone

goldenecitrone ubi sunt

Set fire to your local police station.

Turboprop and stuff_it like this.
  28. ItWillNeverWork

The police station is right next door to the fire station though. Best go for the local conservative club as to ensure a half decent burn time. Don't want it to be put out before it achieves it's purpose.

Greebo, Quartz and nino_savatte like this.
  29. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx purves grundy - definitely a bloke

In the scorching sun whilst watching busty, sweaty women draped over wet sponges and cars?

30. Brixton Hatter

Brixton Hatter marquistador

This is coming from Cameron, who before the election claimed £1000's per month for a second home, and now has at least three homes, two of them paid for by the taxpayer and one paid for (I assume) from the proceeds of his father's tax avoidance business. You couldn't make it up.

They can cut housing benefit once all the MPs get rid of their second homes and start staying in a fucking Travelodge or on a camp bed in their offices. :mad: