1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question Calling mobile phone numbers in Britain from abroad

Discussion in 'mobiles and tablets' started by JHE, May 10, 2012.

1. JHE

JHE Horrified to have made 10,000 posts

If somebody wants to call my (British) mobile phone number from abroad, do they add the usual international dialling code for the UK, as they would if they were calling my land line?

If, say, my mobile number starts with 0786..., should the caller dial 0044786... ?

(Sorry for my naivety in this. I'm old and quite ignorant of modern electronic gadgetry.)

2. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx purves grundy - definitely a bloke

that's correct

3. JHE

JHE Horrified to have made 10,000 posts

Thank you!

4. Minnie_the_Minx

Actually, I'm not entirely correct. Mobile numbers and landline don't always work the same and it depends on which country you're calling from, so you may want to check that

5. grit

grit an ugly force for good

Eh you sure about that? I'm pretty sure its a international standard, the double 00 and drop the 0 prefix.

6. Minnie_the_Minx

No, not sure, that's why I'm telling him to check!

Just occurred to yesterday that I rang someone on their mobile the other day only to discover they were in Rome. Now, obviously me ringing them, I didn't have to change number, but can't remember how it works other way. I know I have had to do 00353 to Ireland sometimes whereas other times I don't, but I can't remember in what circumstances :confused:

7. Detroit City

Detroit City This post is my opinion..

call your provider

8. grit

grit an ugly force for good

i've called Irish mobiles from all around the world its always been 00353, I'm 99.999% it doesnt change dependent on country.

9. Greebo

Greebo Laquelle lettre de "non" n'as tu pas compris?

Whichever country your mobile phone got its sim card from is the one whose dialling code applies when you call it.

So, an English phone used in Germany wouldn't have to use an international dialling code to call somebody here, nor to be called from here, but to call by anyone in Germany it'd have to use the code for there. And anyone with a German phone would need to add the UK dialling code in order to call it.

moochedit likes this.
  10. Minnie_the_Minx

Well that's what I thought, but then after posting my initial response, and then ringing a friend's phone and him turning out to be in Rome, my brain suddenly went all fuzzy :oops:

11. Minnie_the_Minx

Have come across this though, not that I'm even going to bother reading it as there's too many numbers involved

Greebo likes this.
  12. Winot

Winot Win not Whine

The US has its own prefix (and maybe other countries too) but the 0044 works there as well (everywhere afaik).

13. DerekF

DerekF New Member

UK has its own prefix. If you are looking for a way to make cheap call to Britain then try Smartgroschen

14. dessiato

dessiato Galatians 6:10

I've called UK mobiles from a number of different EU countries, Sudan and the US, it's always been as you describe. I'm 100% on that.