1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brussels...

Discussion in 'travel and world' started by downlikedisco, Aug 2, 2012.

1. downlikedisco

downlikedisco New Member

So I've not been for a few years now. The last time I went was 2008. I'm going in four weeks and staying near the European Parliament.

Anyone have any suggestions for good, and reasonable priced (cheap) pubs or restaurants? Generally, I have a walk down the small lanes near Grand Place and take advantage of the offers random waiters offer you on their doorstep.

Im pretty comfortable using the trams and subway, so locations aren't too much of an issue.

Thanks!

2. Greebo

Greebo All the personality of your own plastic copy.

"Cheap" and "Brussels" aren't two ideas I'd expect to find in the same sentence, but *shrug* you've stayed there (instead of just changed there) more recently than me.

3. DownwardDog

DownwardDog Stop calling them cogs.

Rick's on Avenue Louise was the Eurocrat/well heeled ex-pat hang out when I lived there. Comme Chez Soi just off Ave. Stalingrad is also good.

I wouldn't bother with any of the tourist tat round the GP.

4. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

Stay well away from the Rue du Midi (pretty unsavoury)

5. youngian

youngian Well-Known Member

Good places to go for a night out if you are in Brussels are Ghent and Antwerp

Pingu and Greebo like this.
  6. downlikedisco

downlikedisco New Member

Thanks for all your tips. I do remember this site being much better for friendly advice when I used
    It six years ago, however...

7. Pingu

Pingu Officially "Cool as Shit"

fnarr fnnnar... nowhere near gar du nord at all then?

tbh i have only been there on business and for me Brussels is a city that cant make its mind up .. so gave up trying. Its an expensive place to visit IME and ghent is a much much much nicer place (just a few minutes by train).

my own opinion of briussels is its overpriced and there are far better places to spend your time if you have a choice. I am there 2 or 3 times a month as I am doing some work for NATO and I stay near the grand palace. to date i have not found anywhere decent and cheap to eat/drink so if you do I will grateful if yo can pass the tips on.

eta ... dave is right btw. at night g d midi is not a good place to look like a tourist.

Greebo likes this.
  8. Pingu

oooh i just realised i have told a porky.

therre was somewhere that was nice and cheap to boot.

it was a kebab shop on rue des palais which tbh exceeded my expectations somewhat

Greebo likes this.
  9. Greebo

Greebo All the personality of your own plastic copy.

Dare I ask how low your expectations were? :hmm:

10. Pingu

given where this was located .. low. but tbh it actually was a really nice kebab

it was the time they put me in a hotel right next to the red light district and the choice of food wsa kebab.. kebab or kebab

Greebo likes this.
  11. Johnny Vodka

Johnny Vodka Banned Banned

I walked about the centre a lot at night and didn't see any bother or shadier characters than you get back home. No pubs or restaurants stood out particularly and Brussels is a pretty small place. If you're there for a few days, you need to try some nearby cities/towns (Bruges, Antwerp, Ghent) so as not to get bored.