1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brockwell Park Firework Display - Saturday 5th November 2011

Discussion in 'Brixton Noticeboard' started by Badgers, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Maggot

Maggot Grubs up!

How was it disorganised and unco-ordinated?

I thought it was well-organised and it was the best display I've seen at Brockwell Park. And music was certainly well-co-ordinated with the fireworks.

The music did seem to get progressively worse after the Who though.
  2. gabi

gabi Well-Known Member

Yes, I went.

Someone had to give a fair and balanced report on that bullshit.

I know councillors read this forum in between power naps at their desks - so if one of you could post up the final cost of the event that'd be much appreciated.
    RaverDrew likes this.
  3. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp

You know when you are saying one thing and everyone (so far) disagrees with you?
  4. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx purves grundy - definitely a bloke

Course they did :rolleyes::D
  5. Maggot

Maggot Grubs up!

If you don't know the cost, where did you get the £36,000 figure from.

£36,000 works out at about 13p per Lambeth resident, pretty good value.
  6. gabi

gabi Well-Known Member

That figure is based on the last time they exploded shiny things in brockwell park. With inflation, it's no doubt more this time around.
  7. editor

editor Like an ultra left hatboy on heat

You mean as much as 15p per resident?
    Greebo likes this.
  8. gabi

gabi Well-Known Member

Or one and a half social workers' annual salaries. Depending on the way you look at it.
  9. Minnie_the_Minx

From last year

10. Minnie_the_Minx

boo hoo
  11. London_Calling

London_Calling Pleasant and unpatronising

I suppose, if you use the Olympics argument, the £37,000 was a bargain because it brought thousands of money-spending visitors to pubs, restaurants, etc in Lambeth - as well as some temp employment and parking ticket 'opportunities'.

Not sure how well that argument works....
    Maggot likes this.
  12. editor

Hard to put a price on things that bring the community together, give joy to kids, let poor families enjoy a fireworks display, bring loads of money into the area, boost the takings of local pubs, restaurants etc etc.
    Greebo likes this.
  13. Minnie_the_Minx

and every pub I went past last night was absolutely rammed
  14. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp

Mental eh?
    Greebo likes this.
  15. Minnie_the_Minx

Just think, the Streatham Common fireworks next year may go up to 16p per person :eek::eek:
    Greebo likes this.
  16. gabi

gabi Well-Known Member

It is however very easy to see what 36k could do for certain local charities who are suffering like fuck at the moment.

It's Lambeth tho. They're simulataneously giving themselves inflation busting pay-rises while raising public housing rents. So it's unsurprising they see something like 25 minutes of vote-winning lights and explosions as a good investment.
    RaverDrew likes this.
  17. Minnie_the_Minx

18. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

what we did think, and people around us seemed to agree, was that it really was very well coordinated indeed. I really liked the way they did it. We were also hypothesizing on what they could have done music wise after The Who... but I doubt our choices would have been crowd pleasers either... :D

Obviously the money could have been spent in any number of other ways.... but I think this sort of thing is important - along with things like the Country Show. It can be pretty hard living around here and this sort of thing provides an opportunity for anyone and everyone who wishes to attend to have a bit of fun, hang out with neighbours and friends and just have an evening off from every day life. There were a lot of very happy people there last night, a great atmosphere and I think that is worth something personally.

I imagine there are many other ways in which one could reproach Lambeth for misuse of public money to be honest.
    Greebo, Badgers and editor like this.
  19. Maggot

Maggot Grubs up!

The cost of employing a social worker or a teacher is much more than the cost of their salaries.

One minute they're hard up, the next they should give a load of money to charity. :confused:
  20. Maggot

Maggot Grubs up!

They could have played stuff buy local bands. Alabama3, Carter USM, La Roux, LKJ etc.
  21. London_Calling

London_Calling Pleasant and unpatronising

.... Florence :hmm:
    Maggot likes this.
  22. RaverDrew

RaverDrew self-banned for a bit R.I.P.

Agree with gabi it was a shambles, serious crowd control issues, very poorly organised.
  23. editor

24. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

You missed half the fireworks by not being in the park tbh. There were a load of fountainy ones that were at ground level.
  25. Kanda

Kanda Nosh Wagon

..and the majority wouldn't have a fucking clue...
  26. editor

We could see most of them but they just didn't make for very good photos.
  27. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp

Me76 likes this.
  28. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

If you were on the lido side of the park where we were, you couldn't hear the music at all! I was vaguely aware there was music but couldn't hear any of it distinctly enough to work out what it was.
  29. Biddlybee

Biddlybee making knots with sticks

We must have been quite near you then - we couldn't hear music either - I still oohed and ahhhed loads though :)
  30. Maggot

Maggot Grubs up!

Really? At the top of the hill it was loud and clear. I assumed it was like that in all directions.

You can hear it on my video: