1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brixton to Stansted for 6.00am

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by Minnie_the_Minx, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx purves grundy - definitely a bloke

Would you risk it, and if so, how?

(This is bearing in mind the fact that I hate travelling to Stansted as there's often signals failures on that line)
  2. bi0boy

bi0boy .

I'd stay in a hotel at Stansted if I needed to get a flight that early.
  3. Minnie_the_Minx

The whole idea of Stansted is because it's a cheap flight at that time. We might as well pay for a later flight if we were to pay for a hotel :)
  4. Kanda

Kanda Nosh Wagon

I usually get a cab. £55 from Brixton Hill.
  5. bi0boy

bi0boy .

You could try sleeping in the airport
  6. Minnie_the_Minx

For that price, we'd be better off getting another flight as well!

The alternative is going from Gatwick but landing in Ireland 10.30pm but the trouble is trying to find a taxi from there.

Wondered about buses, but you'd have to go to Victoria Station quite early, which is doable as there's night buses.
  7. Minnie_the_Minx

If it was just me, no problem
  8. 5t3IIa

5t3IIa Alicante my fat bum

I figure that 9 times out of ten it's worth the extra money for a flight at a sane time.
    Chz, gaijingirl, Reno and 3 others like this.
  9. DrRingDing

DrRingDing PotValiantFenman

It'll be a challenge. I tried it recently with little success.
  10. Minnie_the_Minx

oh, buses from Liverpool Street only £8.

May look into that.
  11. bi0boy

bi0boy .

Usually it's something like

£39 RyanAir to Germany from Luton or whatever, arrives at 11pm at airport that's a 1.5 hour 120 Euro taxi ride away from your hotel
    vs
    £59 BA flight to Germany from London City, arrives at 5pm at airport a 10 minute Metro ride from your hotel.
    Belushi and 5t3IIa like this.
  12. Minnie_the_Minx

Well yes, but I think it's going to be an expensive weekend and have a present to buy as well, and will need to go a few months later as well before winter kicks in.
  13. Minnie_the_Minx

You only have a choice of Ryanair and Aer Lingus where I'm going and the airport is an hour's drive from final destination, so it's either early morning flight from Stansted or late flight from Gatwick and trying to get a cab at the other end
  14. 5t3IIa

5t3IIa Alicante my fat bum

Answer my PM :)
  15. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat roast fishco and cornbread

and from Victoria - either National Express or Terravision
    Minnie_the_Minx likes this.
  16. DrRingDing

DrRingDing PotValiantFenman

17. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse wax weasel

Why start from Brixton? If you started from Bishop Stortford it would be a tenner in a cab.
  18. Orang Utan

Orang Utan like an outdated combine harvester

i'd just get the last train/bus to Stansted and find a comfy seat and sit there and read all night
  19. se5

se5 Well-Known Member

very easily done - N133 bus from Brixton to Liverpool St then train at 04:40 or 05:10 will get you there for 6

I've done it a few times travelling from Brixton Road - buses are much more predictable at that time in the morning and the bus journey was less than 30 mins.

(You have to travel in hope that they are not going to overrun with night maintenance work/ signal failures on the railway line)
  20. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever dog poo and knives

I will take you for £40
  21. London_Calling

London_Calling Pleasant and unpatronising

Can you not leave it to about 06.50?

If you could the Victoria Line to Tottenham Hale route works.
  22. Minnie_the_Minx

Oh, never realised the trains ran that early, and it's your last comment that worries me.

I think I'm going to have to go for the Gatwick late flight instead and pay for a taxi other end
  23. Minnie_the_Minx

That's the way I'd normally go, but flight is 8.15am and with Stansted, don't like to take risks with signal failures. Gatwick more reliable I think
  24. London_Calling

London_Calling Pleasant and unpatronising

Almost 1 1/2 hours - fwiw, I'd risk it.
  25. Minnie_the_Minx

think I'm leaning towards the late flight and paying taxi other end
  26. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

From my own experience I've come to realise that often the cheapest tickets available end up costing way more once you add transfers to the airpot.

By the way, you can do Gatwick cheaply by jumping on the 196 bus all the way to Norwood Junction. From there a train ticket will cost you around £7.30, and depending on the time & service you might not even need to change at East Croydon.
  27. Minnie_the_Minx

I never change at East Croydon anyway. I go Streatham Hill to Clapham Junction :D
  28. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

done that, with a nightbus to Lpool St. Our coach was rammed and a few people couldn't get on- cue screaming & shouting. So my tip is to get there early and give yourself some leeway, just in case. The journey itself was fine.
  29. Minnie_the_Minx

oh, don't like the sound of that. I'm guessing they overbook then, or is that people just turning up on the day to buy tickets?
  30. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Fwiw, if you go by train and there is an unexpected problem when you're still at the station, they will (or should) pay for taxis to the airport. At least that's what they did once when my 4.30 am train to Luton was cancelled