1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brixton Splash continues to airbrush its founder from history

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Aug 2, 2012.

1. editor

editor Like an ultra left hatboy on heat

2. Mrs Magpie

Mrs Magpie On a bit of break...

I was doing First Aid at the European No-Car Day on CHL and Pat was so pleased with the event as something everyone in Brixton enjoyed and came up with the idea that day as having a sort of annual Brixton Festival. He then got the ball rolling.
    Gramsci likes this.
  3. Mrs Magpie

I have to admit I was initially sceptical that it would ever be allowed to happen because it would involve closing CHL.
  4. editor

Me too. He worked hard to get this pushed through.
  5. shygirl

shygirl Well-Known Member

His face/profile obviously doesn't fit. The board are clearly pretty spineless and don't want to rock the boat.

Good blog, ed.
    equationgirl, Onket and editor like this.
  6. wurlycurly

wurlycurly diss member

Blacker is described on the front of today's SLP as the co-founder, so at least he's not trying to claim all the credit. I still feel Pat deserves a mention on the Splash website, though. There's no doubt that he came up with the idea and worked hard to bring it to fruition.
  7. editor

Ros Griffiths has been busy claiming the other half of the credit.
  8. wurlycurly

wurlycurly diss member

I assumed the 'co-founder' line was a subtle nod to Pat. Is a mention on the Splash website really too much to ask?
  9. Mrs Magpie

I don't think so. As I mentioned on another thread, it means he can't even mention it on his CV or it makes him look like a liar, which he most certainly is not.
  10. Mrs Magpie

So, it's more than just lack of acknowledgement, it impinges on his livelihood which is wrong.
    Gramsci, equationgirl, Onket and 2 others like this.
  11. wurlycurly

wurlycurly diss member

I never thought of it that way but see where you're coming from. It's a truly fantastic event, up there with the Country Show in my affections.
  12. Mrs Magpie

Because Pat's job does move him around it's an important thing to be able to mention in CVs. He's never been a egotist, this isn't about bigging himself up, it's about being able to demonstrate on his CV what his experience is.
  13. editor

No. He's never had any kind of credit or even a subtle nod. As fas as Brixton Splash are concerned it was all Ros Griffiths' and Blacker Dread's idea from the start, which is simply not true. And they know that.
    Gramsci and Mrs Magpie like this.
  14. Mrs Magpie

...because Pat approached Blacker Dread to get him on board, as I understand it.
  15. Mrs Magpie

In no way I am trying to downplay Ros and Blacker's involvement, commitment and sheer bloody hard work. They do loads for Brixton. I don't know Blacker personally, although I know him to have done loads for the area, but I know Ros and have huge respect for what she's done for Brixton, especially in terms of getting young people into employment.

Pat's job means, much as he'd love to have permanent roots in Brixton, his job moves him around every few years (he was 'parachuted' into a Brixton Pub from Aldershot by the brewery). Because he's not someone who has been involved in Splash year after year after year doesn't mean that his contribution should be denied. Especially from the point of view of his CV. It could be the difference between getting a job, or passed over.
  16. editor

Btw, Pat's inspiration for the day came after the Brixton Car Free Day in 2000/2001 which saw Coldharbour Lane being closed for the day.

[​IMG]

http://www.urban75.org/brixton/photos/18.html

Video (blimey, it's like a different world)

Minnie_the_Minx likes this.
  17. spanglechick

spanglechick Lying in the gutter, looking like a star.

Have Blacker or Ros been approached for their opinions? A statement in support would help, I'd think. Not that it should be needed.
  18. editor

Pat has tried and tried and tried and tried on that score.
  19. Kid_Eternity

Kid_Eternity "You might be a lord but here comes the king."

It's a real shame but save people turning up in Pat masks on the day I'm not sure you're going to see much movement on this.
  20. Mrs Magpie

Unfortunately because he's quite self-effacing he doesn't push himself forward for photographs so the mask idea has fallen at the first hurdle. Perhaps just as well, he'd probably be hugely embarrassed.
  21. editor

My blog article has already been read by hundreds of people, and at least Pat can now finally include Brixton Splash on his CV.
  22. Kid_Eternity

Unless those 'hundreds' of people can change the BS website or actively contact BS to get them to change it makes no real difference in terms of the main aim of getting his name on the website. Have you considered asking your readers to email BS demanding answers?
  23. Kid_Eternity

Then the next idea is a campaign to gets people to email BS demanding answers. Writing a blog an patting yourself on the back isn't good enough if you're serious about getting Pat's name as a founder on the BS website.
  24. Mrs Magpie

...and there is dated evidence of his original idea, so it's not something that is their word against anyone else's.
  25. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx purves grundy - definitely a bloke

Is their comma not working?
  26. editor

Who's "patting themselves on the back"? :confused:

For the record, I've written to BS several times and I've also got it into the local press next week. More importantly, Pat can now include it in his CV without people questioning his integrity.
  27. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx purves grundy - definitely a bloke

I was plonked in front of McDonalds. I seem to remember a naked guy up a lamp-post :hmm:
  28. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

was that not reclaim the streets you are on abaht? :hmm:
  29. Mrs Magpie

No.
    Well there was a woman, painted green, who stripped off. Her kid was completely freaked out and was close to Death By Total Embarrassment.
  30. Mrs Magpie

Plus there were a load of school groups there and Brixton Cycles had to detour a kids race round Rushcroft Road till the police made her get dressed or the teachers were going to take them all back to school.