1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brixton Market redevelopment?

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by nick, Dec 9, 2008.

1. nick

nick Pleomorphic Adenomas R us

Sorry for the C&P, but thought that this might be of interest. It came from the "Friends of Brixton Market"

2. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx purves grundy - definitely a bloke

building apartments on top?

3. Crispy

Crispy Fond of drink and industry

I will have to look at the planning app when it comes up on the lambeth website...

4. editor

editor Got a fever +the only prescription is more cowbell

I've seen the architect's drawing and it's as ugly as fuck and totally out of scale for the area.

5. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx purves grundy - definitely a bloke

What a surprise :D

6. Bob

Bob Rusesabagina for a nobel

10 Storeys I could just about take if it were nice. But this whole thing rings alarm bells that seriously worry me... :(:hmm:

7. Brixton Hatter

Brixton Hatter marquistador

hmmm. most of the small businesses in there then

8. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

are there that many? tbh none of them look to be particularly thriving. In the last few months two of the traders have told me they're getting out as soon as they can :(

9. Brixton Hatter

Brixton Hatter marquistador

but at the moment the markets offer relatively cheap opportunities to set up a small food shop/record shop/caff/whatever. And if the development goes ahead i can imagine a smaller number of larger shops (chain shops like next, borders, gap, burger king etc) leaving less opportunities for locals to be entreprenurial, taking money away from the locality (...and giving it to all the rich shareholders and investors who lost £ during the banking crisis :mad:)

10. memespring

memespring Well-Known Member

not much of a looker it has to be said:

[​IMG]

but it's got trees! (I could be an architect I reckon, draw crap add trees)

11. Crispy

Doesn't look like there's any planning guidance on a possible Overground station, judging by the plan on the architect's website. Although I'd not be surprised if Lambeth weren't forward-thinking enough to think about it. The planning app will make things clearer.

12. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

oh yes, the whole thing makes me cringe.

meanwhile
    can anyone explain how this is supposed to work. I'm obviously missing something because to my uneducated eye there's a slight height difference :eek:

13. Bel

Bel velvet snout of doom

The new plan looks like an opportunity to make a killing and put two fingers up at the local character or amenity of the area. I'd argue that Granville arcade forms a very significant part of the Brixton built environment and to rip it down and put down another characterless development would be an absolute shame and would really detract from the area.

Incidentally my dad told me that his uncle Philip (Granville-Grossman) built the place in the 1930's.

14. editor

It's also important to note that the similarly large building development on the corner of Coldharbour Lane and Valentia Place remains unfinished, years after work started, and the adjacent site of Cooltan is a flattened wasteland, with the buildings lying empty for getting on a decade. And then there's the disused petrol station a little further down the road.

What makes the council think that this new development is likely to succeed, particularly bearing in mind the current downturn?

15. Crispy

Having overlayed the plan on gmaps, I'm almost certain that the "possible Brixton Station platform extension" refers to a possible Overground station.

If I was Lambeth Council, I'd say that a contribution towards such a station would be a condition of planning permission.

16. Gramsci

Gramsci Being evicted

I cant see anything on the Lambeth planning website yet.Does not seem like they have put in the application yet.As the arcades come under the new Brixton masterplan (not yet finished.Its has been delayed for 3 months) I wonder if LAP have been talking to Future Brixton Council Officers about this proposal.

The new alleyway and mixed use development does go along with whats in the new masterplan (as it stands at the moment) .Though the height might be a problem.

When the application goes in it will be subject to public consultation.So I would advise people to get there comments ready to submit to planning.Planning applications (when submitted) are normally left in the local library for the public to look at.

The Council may want to get some kind of planning "gain" from this development.I see the proposals will contain "affordable housing" which will keep the Council happy.

The main points are IMO -Height
    Architectural merit
    Safegaurding small retailers

17. Bob

Bob Rusesabagina for a nobel

They might be able to pre-let / sell enough properties to make it worthwhile. However that does sound a little unlikely given the (presumably) low rent of the existing retailers, and that it has residential stuff above the shops.

18. Gramsci

Gramsci Being evicted

The unfinished block of flats has now been taken over by another property developer as the last one went bust.It appears that the previous developer had a cavalier attitude towards planning and building regs.The building is higher than the original plans allowed and Ive heard the building standards arent that high.The only other alternative would be to demolih it and start again.

19. tarannau

tarannau Mongolian eyed

Looks out of scale for sure, but I'm not immensely opposed to the idea of using private developments to pay for a much needed overhaul of the site if done properly. It's looking increasingly shabby and down at heel, as much I love the place it compares badly to better maintained local competitors like Tooting market. In a perfect world the cash would be magicked up with no strings attached, but realistically that's a non starter.

My major concern centres around this point:

I'd want these assurances checked over with a fine toothed comb. They'd have to be set for a long time, with only inflation based raises at most. And service charges and similar - often a backdoor method of forcing out smaller traders - would need equally cast iron guarantees. I'd also insist that rate charges remain unchanged for new traders too , if only to stop the character of the market being changed markedly as current occupants retired or tried to change ownership.

Worried also about the prospect of the three larger units and what they'd contribute too.

20. editor

I've noticed what looks like another level on the top appearing. There seems to be about 3 people working on the site now, so they should be finished some time around 2015 at this rate.

Maybe the building should be checked over for the safety of the workers if it's as iffy as you suggest?

21. teuchter

teuchter *worse than Sean Connery in every regard*

To start with I thought the ten-storey building was being proposed over the main Brixton market bit in between Coldharbour Lane and Electric Avenue. Which would be totally out of scale. Now I see (I think) that it's the "Brixton Village" bit they are proposing to develop. Aside from concerns about the effect on the market, a high building here would seem less inappropriate given that it is mainly bounded by the railway lines.

The drawings on the architect's site are certainly uninspiring. And looking at their other projects, they are similarly undistinguished.

I wouldn't have much faith in Lambeth Planning to enforce any kind of high standard of architectural design. If they even knew what that was if it hit them.

22. Gramsci

Gramsci Being evicted

Just heard from Brixton Society that the developer is mounting display of plans in Unit 85/86 of Brixton Village (Granville Arcade) on:

Thursday 22nd January 12 to 3
    Friday 23rd January 2 to 5
    Saturday 24th January 10 to 1

Any comments on proposals to

Redevelopment proposals for Brixton Village
    FREEPOST RLSX-KHXT-BGSR
    Four Communications
    49 Leicester square
    London
    WC2 7FG

or email to

j.charlton@lap.co.uk

I think Four Communications are a PR company

23. boohoo

boohoo Crazy Tired Lady

This reminds me of what's happening around Dalston junction. There are some nice houses and old buildings, tending to be low rise. Many of the old houses on Dalston Lane have gone to rot very very quickly (an incentive to pull them down although in a conservation area) and what has already been removed (the old Dalston theatre and two Georgian houses) they plan to build up to 14 storey buildings which will look totally out of place.

As Hackney spent (as I understand it) £8 million demolishing their high rise stock, I don't understand how they can build new high rises.

I really hope they don't pull down Brixton village. It has a lot of character and with a bit of investment could be a great little shopping place.

24. teuchter

Well, there's good high-rise and there's bad high-rise.

And an awful lot of mediocre high-rise too of course.

25. lang rabbie

lang rabbie Je ne regrette les gazebos

Yup. A certain Jim Dickson is their "Director, Politics" - although AFAIK he (and party hacks of various other political pursuasions working for Four) are fairly scrupulous in maintaining a "Chinese Wall" from any work they do for clients of the property team with planning applications in Lambeth.

I think it will take a lot more than Four's Machiavellian PR tactics for Brixton folk to ever learn to love the new owners of the covered markets' plans for redevelopment.

26. boohoo

boohoo Crazy Tired Lady

for some reason, some like the Barbican work... aspirational, desired whereas others just don't. I lived in one for over sixth month. Space was great as was storage as was the view watching thunder storms creep across landscapes...this is what happened to the one I lived in:

I think much of the recent stuff going up is dull and will be critised in the future. The planners won't learn....:(

27. boohoo

boohoo Crazy Tired Lady

This is what has happened at Dalston junction... god, it makes me wince - car crash development and tooo many acidental fires.

http://opendalston.blogspot.com/

28. teuchter

"Accidental fires" make me rather angry.

I think the owners of these buildings should be held more responsible for making sure the "accidental" fires don't happen in the first place.

Battersea Power Station is one massive slow-motion accidental fire happening in front of our noses.

29. boohoo

boohoo Crazy Tired Lady

The Dalston blogspot is exceptionally upsetting as it record te council ripping out a mainly Victorian and Georgian housing group and replacing with shite. Some interesting shots of the interior of Dalston theatre as it was destroyed (which also makes me turn away). Hackney council are ... *trying to find a really polite bad word*

30. boohoo

boohoo Crazy Tired Lady