1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Birmingham rag market

Discussion in 'threads and dreads' started by mr steev, Aug 16, 2012.

1. mr steev

mr steev unkempt clacker

It must've been over 20 years since I've been to the rag market and I'm wondering how much it has changed.
    I'm after a cheap old, slightly battered bowler or top hat. I seem to remember that 20 years ago it would be worth going and having a look. Has anyone been recently? Would it still be worth a trip? Or are those sort of stalls not there anymore? Has cheap second hand turned into expensive retro/vintage?
    I need it for next week so have probably left it a bit late for ebay.
  2. moonsi til

moonsi til worked it out now!

I just gave away a bowler hat to compton hospice...:facepalm:..may still be there as I only took it in yesterday.
  3. mr steev

mr steev unkempt clacker

No :facepalm:
    Big enough for my head?
  4. mr steev

mr steev unkempt clacker

I took a stroll down there earlier. Got absolutely drenched in the process, only to find that it had gone.
    It did prompt me to do something I've never done before though... go into a pub on my own (well with my daughter) and have a coffee! :D
  5. Sapphireblue

Sapphireblue Well-Known Member

it still exists, it may have moved a bit though (don't know where it was before but it's behind the bullring now).
  6. killer b

killer b Oh Yeah Baby

hm, i may have to check this out when i'm next in brum...
  7. purenarcotic

purenarcotic Conveniently Pocket Sized

How come you've not been to one of the Brummie meet ups mr steev, hmm? HMMM? :hmm: :p

:D

As Sapphire says, it's behind the Bullring; if you go into the Sports Direct on the lower floor of the Bullring and walk through to the back it leads you straight outside and the market is directly opposite.
  8. mr steev

mr steev unkempt clacker

I have :p Well, only one I think. But it was a bit before your time :)

I know where the rag market is. I just haven't been for over 20 years when there were lots of second hand and antique/curio type stalls that were quite cheap. Talking to a few people and it seems that it has changed and it's pretty unlikely I'd find a bargain hat nowadays
    I think it will have to be a fancy dress shop jobby

eta: I've actually been to two birmingham meets :)
  9. Addy

Addy cooking...

Is the chinese supermarket (wing yip?) still next to where the rag market used to be?
  10. aqua

aqua made of cheese and gin

no idea where it used to be but no I don't think you would fit a hat there now tbh though I might be wrong - your best bet would be a charity shop I think :)

pn - mr steev is well known to us lot :D he just has the audicity to not join us these days :p but then neither does addy and he could come along too!

killerb - come down to brum mate, we'll take you there :)
  11. Addy

Addy cooking...

i'd love someone to show me where to buy all my oriental herbs, spices and other bits.
    I'd gladly be up for a beer or 2 aso
  12. aqua

I think we have a plan forming!
  13. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

IIRC he was at the very first Birmingham meet up, many many years ago :D

Was upstairs at The Tap & Spile, I brought a set of decks and Blagsta failed to bring a PA :D

I found the photos of it the other day, must scan them in at some point. We all look horribly younger :D
    mr steev likes this.
  14. purenarcotic

When kidda can walk again we should have a meet to celebrate. And I expect you to be there addy and steev :p :D
  15. Kidda

Kidda Z is for stripey oss

No meet until i can crutch without falling or can steal a wheelchair please ;)
  16. purenarcotic

These must be seen! :D
  17. aqua

I'm sure we can find a wheelchair and decorate it for you :p
  18. Kidda

What happened to the pictures of the meet where doggy turned my face into that of a clown? :D
  19. aqua

wasn't that the first meet we were both at? good times :D
  20. beesonthewhatnow

I've got loads of dodgy pics from Birmingham meet ups, I really need to get them all scanned in.

Then take appropriate bribes not to put them online :D
  21. Kidda

Yeah it was :D

Started in the weatherspoons, then on to the OJS and then on to sheer debauchery. ;)

Also the meet where doggy tried to give out bananas to members of the public with varying success.
  22. aqua

and a certain roadkill pole danced :hmm:

boy how our lives have changed :D I assume our next meet will be another more civilised affair? :D
  23. beesonthewhatnow

:D :D :D
  24. Kidda

Afternoon tea in a plush hotel tea room probably.

;)
    moomoo likes this.
  25. aqua

at least my liver and kidneys don't quiver at the thought of that :D :oops: /oldaqua :oops:
  26. Kidda

I actually quite like the idea of it to be honest, its right up my street :)

I could teach pickle about teapots and the many special variety's. We could then combine it with her Black Countray Spake Lessons.

She could be demanding cups of Tay within the hour.

:cool:
  27. moonsi til

moonsi til worked it out now!

oh moo poo on the bowler hat fella..hope you get it sorted.

BUT yes we should do a meet. I suggest a autumnal Indian curry..say October?
  28. Fedayn

Fedayn Diffidati con noi

Great place, got some nice wee items from there in the past.