1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bill Cunningham New York movie - legendary 80 year old street shooter

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by editor, Mar 21, 2012.

1. editor

editor Like an ultra left hatboy on heat

This is a fantastic film and well worth a look if you're into street photography. The guy is a legend!

He's 80 years old and still pedals around NYC on a crappy old bike, jumping off to take pics of street fashion.

Next minute he's in some hoity toity society bash, refusing to take any of their hospitality. He's a fascinating fella.

weltweit likes this.
  2. Ted Striker

Ted Striker Foot's on the other hand

I love this film/fella :)

(Been available on torrent sites for years).

3. editor

It can't have been out that long because some of the footage was fairly recent! (well, 2010).

It's a really uplifting movie.

4. Ted Striker

Ted Striker Foot's on the other hand

Ah, I must be thinking of something else? I'm sure I saw something like it 6ish months (i.e. years :) ) ago.

5. editor

That was probably it - it was shown on the film festie circuit before the general release.

6. Gingerman

Gingerman Is a great bunch of lads.....

Think it was released over here last week,got very good reviews in the broadsheets,bet it'll be shown on More4 pretty soon.

7. Cid

Cid Degenerate Scum

Thanks for this ed, just watched it - really inspirational film, about halfway through I had to get the FM2 out of the cupboard for company... :D :oops:

Shows just how far relatively simple kit can be taken in the hands of a master really... But mainly the way he humanises fashion, makes it appeal to someone like me by showing it as self-expression rather than obsession with what's in, and does it with modesty, a good helping of 1940s American charm and a healthy dash of eccentricity.

8. editor

Yep: he's a fascinating guy and a real craftsman.

9. Firky

Firky The first of the gang Banned

It was through Cunningham I discovered Garry winogrand.

[​IMG]