1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big student actions in Quebec

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by ska invita, Apr 24, 2012.

1. spring-peeper

spring-peeper Well-Known Member

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/story/2012/05/31/quebec-students-courchesne-negotiations.html

The students have been threatening to be disrupt the F1 week-end. I wonder if they will.

2. spring-peeper

I wonder how many of the students are members of Anonymous.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/0...ans-as-part-of-campaign-against-bill-78/[url]

3. spring-peeper

4. copliker

copliker ...

5. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

I bet any kids he has has won't be facing the same problems as the ones struggling over this - his multiple years of earning over £15 million a year (from racing alone - never mind the endorsements) should make sure of that.

6. spring-peeper

Most Quebecers who have money educate their children outside of Quebec. The reasons I've seen stated are the poor provincial education system and the desire for the children to bilingual.

The poor education system (only one, McGill, is a top ranked school) is one of the reasons the government wants to increase the tuition. They would like to stop the tide of students leaving the province and to encourage non-Quebecers to attend their schools.

7. spring-peeper

An opinion piece

http://www.montrealgazette.com/travel/Will songs summer drown protests/6753568/story.html

8. kidtripod

kidtripod Well-Known Member

I have to admit I think this is the logical effect of Bill 101. The protestors, largely, seem to be kids of the generations of francophones for whom sending their kids to bilingual schooling has been illegal, and the parents weren't rich enough to send them out of province to get round it.

The undercurrent to this whole thing is not just what happens to the students now, but what happens to their way of life in future. They've essentially been lied to by their parents about how their life is going to pan out, and now are experiencing a sort of mass realisation that they've been screwed, but instead of doing anything positive about it it looks like they're just going to try and get more people screwed over instead. It sometimes bothers me that Quebec (and possibly Canada as a whole) could turn very quickly into a society where everyone is just trying to make sure everyone else is being screwed over more than they are.

As an aside, UdM is definitely not a bad school, but it's not in the same league as McGill (although my experience is that UdM is underrated, and McGill overrated, possibly since McGill has an easier time communicating with the rest of the continent). UQAM and Concordia are both an embarrassment though, with serious mismanagement problems. UQAM burnt several hundred million dollars with a downtown building mistake, and Concordia seem to have a string of administrator scandals.

9. Idris2002

Idris2002 heaven knows I'm morrisey now

They are trying to do something positive about it, mon vieux.

10. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

11. spring-peeper

12. Idris2002

I was talking to a colleague over lunch who, shall we say, has a certain insight into things Canadian. . .

She says that here Montreal connection lives in a staunch Anglo neighbourhood of the city - and even there, ordinary people are out every night protesting (in groups of ten or less) by banging their pots and pans together.

She also said that the new restrictions on protest are bringing back unpleasant memories of FLQ days.

13. spring-peeper

Which staunch Anglo neighbourhood of the city?

14. Idris2002

She didn't say, and if she did I wouldn't repeat it. Careless talk costs wives.

15. spring-peeper

I was just curious what is considered a staunch anglophone region in Montreal, that's all. When I lived there, there were only a few such areas. I was wondering if those areas got with the multicultural theme or if they were still militantly English.

16. kage

kage half past pasty

I'd say Westmount is a pretty staunch Anglo area, most of downtown West of Guy is as well really.

17. kidtripod

kidtripod Well-Known Member

Since the grand prix the protests have been non-existent all over, hence the lack of news since then - not too clear why.

18. flypanam

flypanam morbidly enormous

Is there an election due in Quebec?

I was chatting to a my girlfriend's father last night about the protests. He was supportive at the start but now he thinks that the PQ has too much influence.

Is the PQ maniuplating things behind the scenes?

19. flypanam

Sorry for the bump,
    Seems the protests are still going http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/Henry Aubin Student movement muffed/7130171/story.html (eta that was the wrong link, I meant this one http://www.montrealgazette.com/news...age peaceful demonstration/7129047/story.html )

However, there is an election with the PQ set to win. The PQ seems to be to be the most conservative of the parties and Marois seems like a total fuck stick with her demands that only French speakers could immigrate to Quebec and that French students wonn't be allowed to attend english speaking colleges (is that right?)

Anyhow good to see this lot the Quebec Solidaire, floating at around 7%

http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/Amir Khadir woos anglophones/7163761/story.html

20. butchersapron

Update

21. spring-peeper

It's nice to make such statements when you are not in power. It's a bit different when you are the party in power and reality sets in. Oh wait, she is not really the party in power, she is holding a minority government. In other words, she has to comprise to get stuff done.

I find it amusing and now found myself a new hobby - Quebec just got more interesting :)

22. Johnny Canuck3

Johnny Canuck3 Well-Known Member

The Parti Quebecois is a sovereigntist party, ie they believe that Quebec should be a sovereign nation. And they have been elected. But it is debatable how much the sovereignty issue was a positive factor in the election, as opposed to discontent with the just-ousted government.

23. butchersapron

Are you suggesting the cancellation will be cancelled?

24. flypanam

Doesn't seem that it will, and students have voted to go back to school.

CLASSE are warning...
    But some members of the Coalition large de l’association pour une solidarité syndicale étudiante were a little more skeptical. On Facebook, CLASSE noted that “we blocked the increase ... for now!” It also pointed out that the PQ planned to index tuition to the cost of living, and that students must still mobilize and fight for the free education they want.
    http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/decision+cancel+tuition+hikes+leaves+universities/7195903/story.html#ixzz25gLtEhIz

25. Idris2002

DaveCinzano and ddraig like this.
  26. Rutita1

Rutita1 Perfectly Flawed

27. flypanam

28. spring-peeper

I can't read your article because I have exceeded my free trial and now have to pay - which is not going to happen.

They have been protesting a lot - there was some video of a snowball fight between police and protesters a few days ago.

Enjoy Montreal, the temperature is warming up. If you wanna see rural Ontario or watch maple syrup being done, let me know. I'm an hour's drive from Montreal.

29. Idris2002

C'est ici!

MONTREAL — Disgruntled students took to the streets of downtown Montreal Tuesday night to voice their displeasure over tuition hikes that will see their fees increase by about $70 a year.
    In a scene reminiscent of the nightly demonstrations that brought parts of downtown Montreal to a standstill last spring, students gathered in Parc Émelie-Gamelin and marched into the night with police keeping a close eye on their movements.
    The march began peacefully, but was broken up by police about 10:15 p.m. after several acts of vandalism were committed by troublemakers who had infiltrated the boisterous crowd.
    A masked vandal broke a window at a Scotiabank branch on René Lévesque Blvd. and University St. A short time later, several students booed as the same group of troublemakers smashed windows at a Desjardins branch on Viger St.
    One protester was taken to hospital after a sound bomb landed near his feet. Montreal police confirmed that one of their officers was taken to hospital with a minor eye injury after a flare or firework was launched in his direction.
    After warning students to disperse, police charged the crowd, sending two large groups of students running in opposite directions on Viger St.
    Police then set off sound bombs and sprayed CS gas in the direction of students who refused to move quickly enough.
    Many students left the demonstration covering their mouths with their coats. Montreal police said a large group of students made their way back to Parc Émelie-Gamelin.
    Police had made one arrest for mischief by 11 p.m. But as the demonstration wound down, thry arrested 60 people near the Gay Village who refused to disperse, Montreal police spokesperson Laurent Gingras said.
    Those arrested will spend the night in a police operational centre and will likely be charged with unlawful assembly, he said.
    With former premier Jean Charest now out of the picture, the students were turning their anger toward the Parti Québécois government, which had supported their campaign and promised to scrap the Liberal’s tuition increases.
    Marching behind a banner that said: “Social peace is behind us,” the students chanted anti-capitalist slogans and mocked the police, who were closely monitoring the demonstration as it made its way through downtown.
    Several students said they felt betrayed by Premier Pauline Marois, who campaigned on a promise to scrap the former Liberal government’s tuition hike.
    “She profited from the support of the students and she has betrayed us,” said student Jean-François Nadon. Other students said they turned up because they support free tuition.
    The protesters are livid with a PQ decision to increase tuition fees by about three per cent annually, roughly $70 a year. The increase will be indexed to the growth of disposable family income and was announced last week during the PQ’s much-hyped Summit on Higher Education.
    The PQ hoped the modest increase would bring social peace to Quebec and would take steam out of the protest movement that wreaked havoc on the streets for several months last year.
    But student leaders claim they are not ready to throw in the towel just yet.
    “There is a lot of anger toward the Parti Québécois,” said Jérémie Bédard-Wien, spokesperson for the Association pour un solidarité syndicate étudiante, the student group that boycotted the Summit on Higher Education because the PQ refused to consider rolling back tuition altogether.
    Many of the students who protested Tuesday night belong to associations affiliated with the ASSÉ, which is not only campaigning for an end to the tuition hikes, but is now advocating for free university education for Quebec students.
    Even after paying an additional $350 in fees over five years, Quebec university students will still be paying less than half of what students in Ontario pay for third-level education.
    Bédard-Wien said it is too early to say what long-term strategy the students may adopt to fight the tuition hikes.
    He said his group did not organize Tuesday night’s demonstration, although it promoted it on its Facebook page.
    “The students have taken it upon themselves to continue the movement,” he said.

How wonderfully Canadian. ;)

spring-peeper likes this.
  30. flypanam

Thanks I may just take you up on that but that depends on my other halfs plans.

The interesting thing is that the students are moving on Marois and their demands are deepening.

eta Idris beat me.