1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big student actions in Quebec

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by ska invita, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Idris2002

Idris2002 heaven knows I'm morrisey now

Conrad Black's creation, innit?

2. copliker

copliker ...

Yes. Given its record and ideologically unsound editorial slant, I suspect that these anti-strike stories are of somewhat dubious provenance.

3. Idris2002

I think you mean provenance, if I may conjure the vengeful shade of Donna Ferentes. Though providence, also, can be dubious in its character and intent.

4. copliker

copliker ...

Hands off my malapropisms. :(:mad:

5. kidtripod

kidtripod Well-Known Member

6. Johnny Canuck3

Johnny Canuck3 Well-Known Member

Yes, but he sold it to CanWest Global/Izzy Asper in 2001. It's been a long time since Black had anything to do with the paper.

7. spring-peeper

spring-peeper Well-Known Member

Actually, all articles I read contained the same story, almost word for word.
    Actually, all articles I read contained the same story, almost word for word.

8. copliker

copliker ...

The right wing press in Chile tried this angle with the student protests there btw.

9. Idris2002

10. spring-peeper

If you think the students didn't like the proposed legislation, imagine their reaction if Montreal passes the by-law preventing protesters/rioters from wearing masks.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/0...rotests-will-reduce-violence-or-encourage-it/

11. spring-peeper

12. Idris2002

Oh dear, did my tinfoil hat slip?

While you're right about no-one calling in the army, surely talk of "emergency measures" must press a lot of the wrong buttons where Quebeckers are concerned (especially the older ones who remember 1970)? And isn't it also a sign of desperation on the provincial government's part?

13. spring-peeper

I was in Quebec during the FLQ crisis. Trudeau didn't send the military in during the letter bombings, he waited until the terrorist kidnapped the diplomat. Nothing that severe has happened yet.

I read an article entitled, "Where are the parents?". The answer was that both parents and grandparents are also marching, protesting and blocking school access.

14. spring-peeper

Oh yes - let's fine them into submission, that will work

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/0...islation-could-see-students-fined-up-to-35000

Here is another part of the bill, courtesy of the Gazette ->

15. Johnny Canuck3

16. spring-peeper

Timeline of strikes from the Montreal Gazette

I was wondering why there was no arrest count yesterday. Sunday saw 300 arrested. Judging from the last line on the above, the fun starts around 2 this afternoon.

:cool:

17. Idris2002

Tabernac!

[​IMG]

Riklet and spring-peeper like this.
  18. copliker

copliker ...

19. Johnny Canuck3

[​IMG]
    Maudit calice!

spring-peeper likes this.
  20. Idris2002

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/0...ntroversial-protest-bill-to-war-measures-act/

21. copliker

copliker ...

Crap BBC report.
    Numbers minimized as a glance at the accompanying pic shows.
    But there's a bit more to it than that isn't there BBC? Twats.

22. AKA pseudonym

AKA pseudonym Well-Known Member

Montreal have doubled their Police presence,,,,,
    :(

23. kidtripod

kidtripod Well-Known Member

In addition to the disgrace at St Bock, Montreal police have been doing themselves proud here:

I have to say, the cops are acting in a way which is practically giving the students what they want. First they fail to enforce the injunctions reopening unis because of fear of violence, then when given a ridiculously oppressive law to play with they act like that.

24. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Ironclad Activist

I've heard rumors of Charet being in communication with Harper about bringing in the Army. Nothing confirmed yet. It occurs to me though that, politically, Harper could get away with it. After all what are Canadian liberals going to say given that their great saint Trudeau sent in the troops over a series of events that really presented much less of a threat to state power than the student strikes do.

25. albionism

albionism Factotum

26. Johnny Canuck3

The day that Charest calls for the Canadian army to quell a protest in Quebec, will be the last day of his political career in that province.

27. Johnny Canuck3

1: Jean Charest is no Pierre Elliot Trudeau.

2: The student strikes are a threat to this particular government's power; the FLQ Crisis was a much deeper threat to state power. Trudeau could recognize the difference.

28. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Ironclad Activist

Well, it wouldn't be Charest though, it'd be Harper surely who (unless some of the election results are thrown out) isn't facing election. It would also be far more in Harpers character.

29. Johnny Canuck3

If you send the Canadian Army in to quell a Quebec disturbance, the next Referendum for separation from Canada, will succeed.

30. Idris2002

Might that not suit Harper? He comes from the western, Reform party wing of the current Tories, right? So might he not decide "too bad about the Maritimes, who'll be cut off forever, but we can fuck off Quebec and become a loyal neocolony of Washington". Or am I wrong?