1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big student actions in Quebec

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by ska invita, Apr 24, 2012.

1. ska invita

ska invita yes yes

2. gawkrodger

gawkrodger Well-Known Member

I too am wondering this - soon loads of pics on FB of riot coppers pegging it away from loads of students
  3. gawkrodger

4. gawkrodger

What a feckin' eejit. Just noticed I've repeated the link in the OP:facepalm:
    ska invita likes this.
  5. ska invita

ska invita yes yes

6. ItWillNeverWork

ItWillNeverWork outlook innacurate

7. gawkrodger

to slightly make up for it, here's a youtube clip of loads of coppers running away

8. ska invita

ska invita yes yes

9. flypanam

flypanam morbidly enormous

This started a couple of months ago. I visit montreal 3 times a year as my gf is doing her PhD in Kingston, ON. When I was there last month the students fought a small battle with the cops after the cops tried to get UQAM students to move off an intersection at St Catherine and St Laurent.

Yeah its all over the increase in fees. The interesting thing is that the student protest which started amoungst Quebcois at UQAM students has (for what I was told) spread for the first time through to Anglo students at McGill and Concordia Universities.
    All four universities in Montreal have student strikes with UQAM having student pickets.

There was a big student presence at Occupy Montreal in Victoria Square. The lectuers union and other unions have made public statements supporting the students.
    ymu likes this.
  10. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

Multiple injuries,106 arrests at Victoriaville tuition riot

11. spring-peeper

spring-peeper Well-Known Member

http://www.montrealgazette.com/tech...tive deal details revealed/6573190/story.html
  12. Riklet

Riklet procrastinación

They might need to take a page out of the Chilean's books once the government worms and backtracks...

Any "leaders" who help negotiate (with) a privatised, race to the bottom, freemarket approach to education aren't worthy of leading really are they. Good work identifying real "efficiency savings" that the universities won't want to hear about though.

I'll have a look for new stuff in French in a minute see if there's owt interesting.
  13. spring-peeper

I was impressed that they came up with alternatives, but then they are college and university students....

The Montreal Gazette has been very good at covering the strike. For once, I found their reporting to be unbias.
  14. Riklet

Riklet procrastinación

Yep, good & relevant story I just found...

"We've been duped, strike leaders claim"

Counter-strike student march also only manages to draw around 100 people, so clearly there's big support in favour still...
  15. copliker

copliker ...

Reminds me of the kids in the hall copper sketches. Hey, one of our guys on the ground there. Takin' a beatin'. Should we get oot and help? Naw, you don't wanna get involved.

16. spring-peeper

Here's a report on Victoriaville. One of the students lost an eye and maybe his life.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/Riot response proportional/6599662/story.html
  17. BigTom

BigTom Well-Known Member

18. Idris2002

Idris2002 we have a fish with ears

19. spring-peeper

20. Riklet

Riklet procrastinación

Best of luck to them, once again. Looks brutal in that video. My god they do have horrible french accents though, les Québécois... :D

/snob.
  21. spring-peeper

:D

They think they are speaking proper French. When they go to the Motherland, France, the French look down on their bastardized version.
  22. spring-peeper

Not all student support the strike. I found this on in an article about the metro system being smoke-bombed yesterday.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/M...b suspects turn themselves/6608214/story.html
  23. AKA pseudonym

AKA pseudonym Well-Known Member

"It keeps getting worse...this student lost his eye after Quebec police shot him with a plastic bullet. Another was shot in the head and was in a coma for a night. We came this close to seeing a protester killed in our streets. Yet, the media talks about broken windows."
    [​IMG]
  24. albionism

albionism Factotum

muscovyduck and Mab like this.
  25. Idris2002

And when you go to England, the people of the Mother Country think you're American. I think I know who got the better deal there.
    Mab, spring-peeper and frogwoman like this.
  26. kidtripod

kidtripod Well-Known Member

This has taken a few nasty turns today. The provincial education minister has resigned, but the bail hearing for those involved in the smoke bombing was protested by a bunch that didn't exactly appreciate it being covered by the media, leading to a Quebec journalists union expressing concern about it.

More here:
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...cation-minister-beauchamp-quits-politics.html

CBC is slow, and seemingly overly cautious with their reporting.

The whole thing has become very very strange, and everyone wonders what the new education minister will do. If court injunctions forcing CEGEPs to be opened aren't enforced because of the administration being scared to call the police (also happened today) then why have the courts make injunctions in the first place?

I can't say the protesters are doing a decent job of winning general support. By now they've annoyed just about everyone in the Montreal area, and a good many beyond. One of the shocks about Montreal for an ex Londoner is that during a transport union strike the metro still runs at rush hour, so the unions on the whole are not oblivious.
  27. spring-peeper

Try the Montreal Gazette instead of the CBC :)

Yesterday, the police ended up pepperspraying a number of times at one of the colleges that was trying to allow the students in. The college decided to close down. I wonder what this morning will bring. http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/Rosemont storm/6616507/story.html

At this point, I doubt the semester can be saved. I'm wondering how they are going to accommodate all the students who are strike AND the new students entering the schools. Maybe all the students will get an automatic pass....
  28. spring-peeper

...and we all know what to do with scabs, right?!? We hunt them down and terrorize them. We manhandle the women folks and we spray all over the walls of the schools. That will learn them idiots who want to get the education that they paid for.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/0...hunt-for-scabs-in-montreal-university-classes

Just for a point of interest: only 1/3 of the students are on strike.
  29. Idris2002

Well, that's it, isn't it? Education shouldn't be something you pay for. The commodification of education undermines the whole idea of education.

If the student movement is turning to personal intimidation, this may be a tactical victory, but a strategic mistake. . .
  30. copliker

copliker ...

Bear in mind that the national post is notoriously shit.