1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best chippy in Cardiff?

Discussion in 'Wales/Cymru' started by Col_Buendia, Apr 16, 2006.

1. Col_Buendia

Col_Buendia sort code

Right, now that the dust has settled and we can lick our war wounds, we could go a bag of chips, no?

But where from? This is an urgent and significant question demanding the best minds that the Welsh forum can bring together... In my experience, you need to define *what type* of chip it is that you like, before deciding on the appropriate chippy. So for me, they need to be well cooked, preferably golden-brown-ish, crispy/crunchy and NOT DRIPPING IN FAT!

There's a couple on chip lane (Dorothy's and Tony's?) that usually seem to come up with the goods on that score, but a few times (ime at closing time!) when they can't be arsed to cook the chips properly because of the queues, the chips come out whitish and soft. Bleurrrrrgghh...[​IMG]

Then there's the nationally renowned Albany Fish Bar, but it was quite average last night, and thus prompted me to ask this question here.

I have to say that neighbourly familiarity can allow me to state without fear of contradiciton that the chips served on Clifton St are never more than OK. :(

So, your nominations for the best chippy in Cardiff?

2. RubberBuccaneer

RubberBuccaneer Hedd Wyn

Mc Donaghs on Albany Road ... the best ever and stacks of them , and while you wait you get Kurdish version of TOTp.

3. RubberBuccaneer

RubberBuccaneer Hedd Wyn

You know the bloke from Dots ( or T's ) has been done for kiddie fiddling :eek:

4. Col_Buendia

Col_Buendia sort code

Which one's that, then? If a chippy on Albany Rd wins this, we can all go there after the moustache-off on 6th ;)

5. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

like dot n tony's chips
    one on the corner of cowbridge rd east and neville st, green frontage is good, massive portion and consistently good, funny blokes in there as well.
    also the codfather halfway into canton does lovely thickish crispy style.

haven't tried many more tbh

6. fishtail

fishtail Harpo's busy fingers

Along with Albany Fish Bar, Devonia on Whitchurch Road has always been rated pretty highly on my personal chippyometer, however for the real deal head down to Irene's in Barry.

7. Col_Buendia

Col_Buendia sort code

Aye, I forgot to mention the Codfather - you got to love it for the name alone :D - but I don't know the one on Neville St. Must have a look.

8. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

do pop round for a cuppa when u go there ol chap! i'll even 'hire' you some ketchup :)

9. Col_Buendia

Col_Buendia sort code

I thought you were 'omeless, like? :confused: :p

10. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

not yet! soon enough tho

11. zog

zog wants to be an aardvark

pete's plaice on the top of severn road.

12. zog

zog wants to be an aardvark

anyone heard of "A Fish Called Rhonda". can't remember where I seen it, but the name stuck.

13. nightowl

nightowl hamster wheel called life

albany fish bar is great. still do potato fritters and burgers in batter. yum :)

14. Strumpet

Strumpet gypsy girl

MMMMMmmmm potato fritters are yum.

15. joffle

joffle New Member

FAMILY FISH BAR! Salisbury Road in Cathays. Don't know if any of you would go round those parts if you aren't one of us students, but they are lush!

Lovely Fish and the chips are just amazing. Exactly what you need after a piss up.

Just a word of advice, stay away from woodville fish bar, Worst.chips.ever

16. Brockway

Brockway New Member

Oi student! Put yer bins out on the correct day! :mad:

Devonia on Whitchurch Road are pretty good.

17. King Biscuit Time

King Biscuit Time The highest British attention to the wrong detail.

I used to live right opposite Devonia.
    The fish and chips were pretty good, but what was best was that they stocked groceries, albiet with a miniscule range of about ten items.

Bog roll, ragu, Bonjella, Chocolate Biscuits, and a few cleaning chemicals was about the ling and the short of it.

Very handy for when I was busting for the toilet and out of paper. Also, if you used devonia paper to blow your nose it reeks of chips.

18. Col_Buendia

Col_Buendia sort code

So that's two votes for Devonia, which I'd never heard of. Hmmm, might have to give it a try. And three votes (?) for the Albany (yep, the potato fritters - on a good day - are heaven :D), as well as a couple of honourable mentions for Dot's & Tony's.

Not really clinching it here people, are we? Perhaps we need a post-moustache chip-off? ;)

@ joffle - "exactly what you need after a piss-up" doesn't strike me as a huge recommendation. We're gourmands here, or at least KBT is :D We need the sober, clear sighted judgement of unimpaired tastebuds, not the half-remembered droolings of alcoholically-poisoned tastebuds that wouldn't know the difference between a nice bag of chips and a deep-fried roadcone placed on some car's roof ;) Y'see, it's my theory that at closing time the chips don't get cooked enough, and thus get served all white and mushy, bleurghhh!

19. Col_Buendia

Col_Buendia sort code

PMSL :D

So, you made it back over the bridge? ;)

Christ, the image of you doubled up, sphincter tightening, while you try to pay for a packet of toilet rolls as well as some biccies (just to take the bad look of it!)... doesn't bear thinking about :eek: ;)

20. cymrukid

cymrukid We're The Mountain People

'Fish Called Rhondda' is in Ton Pentre in the Rhondda. I live just up the road from it.

21. Dai Sheep

Dai Sheep Active Member

Lucky for me, even when i'm absolutely bladdered my brain steers me away from caroline street...except in times of dire necessity.

Thereby avoiding a ten-fold increase in the chances of getting filled in and two hours on the shitter the next day. :D

I feel sorry for the silly buggers who've bought an apartment overlooking it.

22. la ressistance

la ressistance aesthete

top gun in whitchurch won the echos "best chippy" award.

it's good i tell thee.

23. BrixiSteve

BrixiSteve Reluctant Human

Is Uncle Sams still on Albany Road? Can you still get a giant garlic mayo burger?? I used to love going there when I was a student in Cdf.

24. Yoj

Yoj Equinox is safe as fuck

Five Star on City Road is pretty decent. :)

25. llantwit

llantwit 

XL fish bar on Crwys Rd used to be great.

26. joffle

joffle New Member

i can vouch for Family fish bar when im not pissed aswell though...i think. :p

27. editor

editor Like an ultra left hatboy on heat

Any chippie on Caroline Street after 6 pints of Brains used to taste lush.

But it's gone all posh now.

28. King Biscuit Time

Family Fish bar is great for a 'between home and town' chip stop if you're planning a night of heavy drinking and haven't had any tea.

Have they still got an Outrun arcade game in there?

29. Django's dad

Django's dad Toffs out

As a Rhondda boy myself I had to giggle when I saw the name.
    But the BEST-EVER Rhondda Chippy was Mrs G's by the Griffin in Pentre

30. King Biscuit Time

Top 10 south Wales takeaway names here

Reload