1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Chip Shop in Scotland (nominations)

Discussion in 'Scotland/Alba' started by danny la rouge, Aug 20, 2008.

1. danny la rouge

danny la rouge Anti-homelessness stud.

After me moaning in another thread about food experiences, I thought a thread for good experiences was called for.

So what's your favourite chip shops?

Here's some of mine:

The Allan Water Café, in Bridge of Allan. Sit in or take away, and handy for the way home from swimming lessons for the La Rouge family.

Corrieri's Café, Causewayhead, Stirling. A traditional Scots-Italian chip shop and more: homemade ice cream, pizza, pasta, coffee. A family favourite with us for eating out.

The Real Food Café, Tyndrum. A former Little Chef transformed into the best roadside fish and chips we know. Great for when we've mistimed the journey home from Oban or further afield in the West Highlands.

The Anstruther Fish Bar. Often far too busy for relaxed eating in atmosphere, but great for taking away and eating at the sea shore (if you don't mind queueing!).

Mhor Fish, Callander. Mentioned on the other thread. Despite the silly* Gaelic-English hybrid name (deriving from the family ownership of Monachyle Mhor in Balqhuidder), a good chippie. (Although somewhat too inconsistent in my experience to make the top 3).

* They insist on pronouncing it 'More', despite mhor being 'vore' in Gaelic, and in any case iasg is masculine, so would go with mor not mhor, which would not come before the noun anyway: Iasg Mor., Big Fish.

2. pogofish

pogofish Testicle Hairstyle

Here are some good ones that I know:

The Church St chipper in Dufftown I mentioned yesterday.

The Bervie chipper in Inverbervie. (other branches are OK n'all)

Zanre's in Peterhead, Buchanhaven & Mintlaw. Go to Mintlaw or Buchanhaven if you can. ;)
    http://www.zanres.co.uk/zanres_profile_history.htm

The Anstruther chipper linked above.

The Pitmedden chipper.

The Ballater chipper.

The Ashvale in Aberdeen has won the best in Britain several times but IME, it can be variable.
    http://www.theashvale.co.uk/

Last but by no means least, Stonehaven boasts two excellent chippers, namely -

The Carron, on the main road. The true home of the deep fried Mars Bar. :D

Sandy's, up a side street - even better! :)

3. El Jefe

El Jefe .. the Rural Juror

I feel I should post on here to prove I'm not Londoncentric. But I've never had fish and chips in Scotland.

David Bann's in Edinburgh is the best restaurant I've ever eaten in though :)

4. Tank Girl

Tank Girl ........

that's what would get my vote, though it's been about 11 years since I was there.

their fishcakes are the best thing ever and I still wish i could have one for my supper.

5. danny la rouge

danny la rouge Anti-homelessness stud.

:D:D

You've spoiled your effort, mate! :p

6. El Jefe

El Jefe .. the Rural Juror

I've eaten many great meals in Scotland though, just not fish and chips.

7. pogofish

Well, fire-up that bus then! :D

You have not lived till you have had fish & chips by the beach, whilst enjoying the sunset! :)

8. Fedayn

Fedayn Diffidati con noi

[​IMG]

9. catinthehat

catinthehat Failed VK = Replicant

The chip van in Tobermory - Isle of Mull, is good plus you can get Scallops and chips PLUS the view is lush.

10. chico enrico

chico enrico No hair shows you care.

yes. those chippys on the islands are unbeatable.

but if you're in Edinburgh i'd say L'alba D'oro down canonmills/New Town is about the best.

Plus it has a lecherous midget guy working there we used to call 'Toad Man' who looks like Frankenstein's monster who has been squashed flat like when a big anvil falls on someone in a Tom & Jerry cartoon. His body is totally square and he shuffles about like a penguin.

In fact - fuck the chips, it's worth going there just to see Toad Man. :D

11. ethel

ethel Well-Known Member

i'm going to Anstruther for the first time at halloween. is it wrong to be excited about the chips?

12. pogofish

Nope! The chipper is the sole reason many folk visit the town.

However, you should get out & walk them off - It is an interesting old place in many other ways.

Is the good ice cream shop still on the go? IIRC, it was along on the left of the chipper when you faced it. Maybe at the next corner? Stop in there too. :)

13. ethel

ethel Well-Known Member

i'm in town for a couple of days so plenty of time to investigate. nom nom nom.

14. geminisnake

geminisnake a complex mass of conflicting ideas

Preferred the chippie in Pittenweem tbh. Couldn't be arsed with the queue in Anstruther.

Marco's in the Toon chipper in Arbroath is my fave local. I believe the Shore one is fine too, and Claude's(don't think that's the name above the door) down by the shore is good but the Toon one is nearest.

The chipper in Kinross, near the loch, is ace.

You been to bervie lately mr fish?? I've had a few folk say it's not as good. Can't remember if it's better to eat in or takeaway. I've never been on the strength of others complaints. The Bervie chipper in Arbroath is fine to eat in.

15. internetstalker

internetstalker Get naked!

One in Aberdeen I've been to a few times had the best fish ever

Can't remember it's name but it had won many many awards

16. suburbia

suburbia Registered Über

Best Chip Shop in Scotland (om nom nom nominations)

Fixed :cool:

17. pogofish

Not been to Bervie for a few months - march or april prob. It was as good as ever then. Despite its change of ownership a while back, the new guy seems to have taken an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach.

Only ever eaten-in once & I can't say that made much difference You got peas & gravy on your plates too.

Usually go down to the shore & sit by the sea when I'm there. Then a stroll along towards Gourdon maybe. :)

Is the Arbroath one still a branch of Bervie? Last time I passed by after Solfest, it had been revamped & reverted to its old name, The Bell Rock - which was a vile place IME.

18. pogofish

Internetstalker - That will be the Ashvale. I was in there last week & it was still good. It can be patchy tho.

19. internetstalker

internetstalker Get naked!

Cool, thanks!

I've not been there in about 8 years!

20. pogofish

Just remembered that the Branch of the Ashvale in Brechin was not bad the one time I was in there.

21. geminisnake

Think it is. Think it's just the name that's back.
    And how dare you insult what was a great Arbroath institution!!! :eek:
    Neither of us ever had anything bad there. I will try and remember to ask others. Greg was a hard worker. RIP

22. lighterthief

lighterthief Well-Known Member

I wonder if the fish and chip shop next to the Ardler multis in Dundee is still there? Actually, I wonder if the multis are still there. Fantastic fish and chips when I was a kid.

23. pogofish

He might have been a hard worker but his food was rank. :(

Sorry, that is just how it was & I've eaten from there probably more than any other Arbroath chipper. We used to stop-in there often on the way back from the south with the band, cos it was the only one the bus drivers could easily park at. You could hear the moans of "Oh fuck, not the Bell Rock again" as soon as they hit the brakes but as we were usually starving by then, it had to do.

We actually used to look forward to the times we played the town because the drivers would then make the effort to squeeze into the other carpark behind the main street & we could go to the other chipper that was so much better! :)

24. geminisnake

25. pogofish

Do they load the bits by hand on that website? Not seen as slow a page as that in ages (& yup, my connection is fine tonight)

Well lets hope it has improved & they systain it. Remember the place was fine under Bervie ownership - on the two occasions I was in anyway.

The Westhill chipper mentioned is OK but nothing special IME. Sometimes used to get my lunch there in the holidays when I worked at a school nearby. Its another branch of the Ashvale empire - Low is the name of the family who own it.

Watch out for suburban teenage hardmen & boy racers at night. The centre carpark is a magnet for those with nothing to do in a town that offers f-all anyway.

26. Garcia Lorca

Garcia Lorca Anger can be power

Louis in port glasgow does a dynamite supper. get it and then go and park up at newark castle or cornation park to enjoy your munch by the sea.

27. smok3y

smok3y H.M.F.C

Agree with you there.. Plus they have got a nice pizza/pasta place next door.

28. pogofish

Just had to say that I'm posting from within the Bervie Chipper right now!

Away down the beach for a supper. :D

29. geminisnake

Which one?? The one in Bervie?? Been told more than once that it's rank now. Hope your supper is fine :D

30. pogofish

Yup, Bervie.

Nope, still fine! :)

The chips in particular were nicely crunchy & the only complaint from E was that there was not enough fish - which is unusual for someone who does not eat so much.