1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Berlin- recommendations, tips, things to do and see, clubs and bars etc

Discussion in 'travel and world' started by maya, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Casually Red

Casually Red tomorrow belongs to me

not exactly haute cuisine but in my opinion and that of any berliner ive spoken to this currywurst station in mehringdamm is probably the best in all Berlin. I pretty much head there for the post beer supper every night when im over . About 4 euro should see you adequately fed and watered if fast foods all your looking for.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Clash is just accross the road and stays open till quite late . Which is handy as what tends to happen is you go to the curry stand after your supposed last beer , but the hot food has a tendency to start you off again in the mood for another few . Order the hot onions with care though because Ring of Fire will certainly be something youll consider humming in the morning if you do.

2. crustychick

crustychick doo-woop-de-doo

oh, I hate that building. I didn't realise anyone could just pop in and go to the top though! they do have people jumping off it occasionally though - some kind of harness controlled jump thing. it looks a bit shit tbh but can be quite surprising when it catches you unawares!

3. Idris2002

Idris2002 the generals hate holidays

Off to Berlin again next week, for a few days of dissipation among the fleshpots. Anyone got any fresh recommendations?

crustychick likes this.
  4. Kid_Eternity

Kid_Eternity "You might be a lord but here comes the king."

Good bump, I'm going in a couple weeks.:)

crustychick likes this.
  5. Greebo

Greebo Free the Priceless One

Check the "what's on" section of exberliner.com, and the rest of it (updated every month). Also have a look at zitty.de

6. crustychick

depends what you want recommendations on!

Museums: I went to the Deutsches Historisches (German History) museum a week or so ago and thought it pretty good - it's massive! if you're only interested in post-WW1 history then just go to the downstairs. Upstairs starts at 1BC and goes through to WW1. took us all afternoon. I also like the Jewish museum but my partner didn't really rate it... the Pergammon is still my favourite Berlin museum - ancient Greek & Roman and just WOW.

www.blitzgigs.de is also good for live music.

Idris2002 likes this.
  7. Idris2002

The Pergamon is brilliant, yes. Thanks for the pointers.

8. crustychick

also, and I haven't been, but I intend to - the Humbolt Box http://www.humboldt-box.com/, on the road that crosses Museum Island has a display on the plans for the rebuilding of the Stadtschloss (among other exhibitions apparently). The Stadtschloss was largely destroyed in WW2 and then the East Germans built the Palast der Repulik in its place which was then demolised after re-unification. It's been a point of controversy what to do in that space ever since... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stadtschloss,_Berlin

9. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Untermensch, and proud!

Looked...well...uninteresting from the outside, I have to say. :D
    I was looking through some photos taken in 2008 the other day, one of which is of me standing on Liebknechtbrücke with the remnants of the Palast der Republik behind me, the remnants being the stair-wells, 8 of which stuck up out of the otherwise bare ground like sore bloody thumbs!

crustychick likes this.
  10. crustychick

yeah, it might well be rubbish! but I'm kinda interested in what they're doing there and I almost never watch German/Berlin news TV... thought it might be worth a peek! if I go I'll report back and tell you all if it's rubbish so you don't waste your time!

Oh, I also went inside the Berliner Dom the other weekend, and it was pretty cool and only 7 euros! nice old cathedral etc. you can climb to the top and get good views of Berlin. Also you have to exit through (the giftshop and) the crypt - which is quite cool too.

11. fakeplasticgirl

fakeplasticgirl hysterically useless

Been looking at flights for end april/beginning may :)

12. paolo

paolo Well-Known Member

As ever, I'll suggest you Berlin visitors to go to Beelitz-Heilstätten

The train from central Berlin will drop you - via Beelitz' dedicated railway station - in the middle of this abandoned sanitorium / russian military hospital. There's sixty or so buildings, of exquisite architecture, slowly rotting and free to explore. No fences, no security. And if that wasn't hospitable enough, one of the gate houses is host to a bar/restaurant, so there's sustenance on tap. If you're feeling extra adventurous, take a torch and burrow a bit. The tunnel system spreads across the whole settlement and pretty much connects every building with every other.

It's at Beelitz I found this...

[​IMG]

13. disco_dave_2000

disco_dave_2000 la la lapland

Nice one - definately going to visit on my next trip to Berlin - hopefully September

14. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

Had a few hours there on Monday (not enough) , traipsed around Prenzlauerberg and Kreuzberg - brilliant - the graveyard across from the hotel( The Alex) had bullet holes on many of the gravestones. Despite the amazing gentrification of the East Berlin suburbs , it really is a great place, in all respects.

15. sunshine

sunshine Nach mir die Sinnflut

If you are in berlin 21.-22. of july come to the "nation of gondwana", its a small festival half an hour drive from berlin. 60 euro in a cab from central berlin....

ticket sale starts sometime in april, check on their website, http://www.pyonen.de/

16. ViolentPanda

It's always seemed quite odd to me, as an Englander, in how much of the minor war damage you can still spot, "east" or "west" Berlin. I remember when I first visited in the eighties, seeing bullet holes in the Reichstag stonework and thinking "whoa, real history!".

17. goldenecitrone

goldenecitrone ubi sunt

Go to Brno, Czech Republic. Gotta love the main square, still riddled with the bullets of yesteryear.

18. ViolentPanda

Many yesteryears, too.
    Home of the legendary BReN gun, too. :cool:

19. Idris2002

More pictures. The Siegessaule, and the Red Army memorial, both from the Tiergarten.

Attached Files:

20. Kid_Eternity

Really enjoyed my time there and can't wait to go back...!

21. fakeplasticgirl

I really need to get booking! Does anybody have any recommendations of a decent place to stay? Maybe a hostel in a good location? I'll probably be visiting by myself. TIA :)

22. Kid_Eternity

Couldn't say re hostels (although the ones I passed by looked good) but hotel wise the Alexander Plaza in Mitte was nice and not too pricey.

23. fakeplasticgirl

thanks, will check it out :) though was leaning towards hostels as thought it might be a way to meet people incase I end up at a loose end!

24. fakeplasticgirl

eek!!! £1000 for 6 nights?! :eek: I think I'll definitely be sticking to hostels ;)

25. Kid_Eternity

Eh? We paid £250 for three nights so I'd suggest having a look around for deals! Good hotel though, nice breakfast, very nice staff and great room!

fakeplasticgirl likes this.
  26. Idris2002

I swear by Hotel Bogota, if your budget can stretch to 40/60 per night. It's just off the Ku'damm, and while a bit basic is clean and does a good breakfast.

It was also where a famous fashion photography called Yva had her studio. I know nothing about the history of fashion photography, but apparently she's important enough to be remembered in her own right, and not just as someone who had Helmut Newton as an apprentice. She died in the Holocaust, and is commemorated both inside the hotel itself and via one of the small brass plates fixed to the ground outside.

http://www.bogota.de/default.aspx?lang=en

27. fakeplasticgirl

Looks really interesting - thanks for the link! Might be slightly out of budget though.

28. Idris2002

The great thing about it is that it's handy for everything.

29. Idris2002

Last time around I went to the Kathe Kollwitz museum. She was a good example of how political art need not be kitsch. Her antiwar stuff is especially strong. As well it might be, given that her son died in the First World War, and her grandson in the Second.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

The Hotel Alex , East Berlin - style and very affordable.

fakeplasticgirl likes this.