1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bearded Theory 2012

Discussion in 'festivals' started by Shirl, Dec 21, 2011.

1. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

Setting off NOW, half an hour earlier than our departure deadline :) :cool: -- it's a long journey from Swansea!! :hmm:

See several of you in the beer tent later! :D
  2. Shirl

Shirl donkey dory

What a nice festival!
    The weather stayed mostly dry. Freezing cold Friday then warmer Saturday and warmer again Sunday. Nearly made it to May temperatures. The site was perfect, in a lovely setting.
    I's only been to BT once before and that was next to a pub.
    I didn't do a lot of band watching but then I never do. I didn't rate Adam Ant but I enjoyed was I saw and heard of The Damned and yesterday Urban Voodoo Machine were even better than I remembered them last year at endorset. Chumbawamba were good. Two Man Ting were great in the dance tent yesterday and even though the day was overcast it felt sunny when they played.
    Other things I saw were geese, swans, a buzzard, swifts, house martins oyster catchers (weird so far inland) and a million daft beards :)
    The festival crew were cheerful and friendly and so were the other festival goers. :D
    Next stop Beatherder
    strange-fish and sojourner like this.
  3. 8ball

8ball Rusty Spoons...

Aye, was a good 'un. Though just got back now cos the car broke down. :D

You may have seen me too (think I was the only bloke there with purple hair).
    Two bands that I'd heard were shit live were actually really good (Terrorvision and Wheatus).
  4. sojourner

sojourner Lord of the Ponce

Tis a lovely site Shirl - we went to it last year and were camped right by the water :cool:
  5. Shirl

Shirl donkey dory

I did see a bloke a purple hair :D
  6. sojourner

sojourner Lord of the Ponce

! did they do Teenage Dirtbag? I fucking love that song.
  7. 8ball

8ball Rusty Spoons...

Yep. Perfectly aware and happy with their 'one hit wonder' (in this country, anyway) status, too.

The die-hard fans were pretty much controlling the set list, as the band apparently don't bother with one these days.
    sojourner likes this.
  8. strange-fish

strange-fish no decisions...

Brilliant weekend, great to see so many friends in a field at once! Agree with Shirl about Adam Ant - but never liked him first time round:) Was at the back of the tent for Teenage Dirtbag! missed most of the set as was checking something else out - not sure what it was now! Am trying to remember if I saw someone with purple hair - was it a bobbed wig?
  9. moonsi til

moonsi til worked it out now!

After my ticket saga we got onto the site with no problems. We were in campervan site up by the quiet camping area and like others had to be towed in on the Friday but leaving on Monday was no problem.

Highlights for me were Sicknote on the Friday which I danced hard to and RDF on Sunday who helped me forget a 4 day hangover!

I have 'festival tummy' which was probably helped along with 3 days on cider and 1 on vodka however I wish there was good old soap and water available to wash your hands. Even if it's just at a few toilets I would much prefer this to hand sanitiser which was often empty. I carry my own little bottle with me and wash my hands in the van but it freaks me out that for a weekend outside with kids around there isn't better handwashing facilities. This is a general festival whinge and not just at BT.
  10. 8ball

8ball Rusty Spoons...

Nah - just my normal very short hair.

Re: moonsi til's post - agree about the handwashing - I tend to carry a litte tube of handwash (rather than the sanitiser) with me, but with all the taps being in the camping areas it's not easy even then. And I don't even have any kids with me...
  11. Tort

Tort Well-Known Member

Well wasn't that a truly excellent weekend?! All the little wrinkles from last year's debut at the new site were well & truly ironed out. A watertight contract with the council over sound levels, decent beers and ciders at the bars, toilets aplenty, minimal litter, a pretty damn fine line up and spending quality time with all my beardy mates. If I was to have one minor moan it would be the new Waters Edge Stage wasn't big enough and the sound bled between there & Tornado Town but that really was a very minor gripe and by all accounts Rich was really pissed off because he thought he was getting a completely different stage to the one which actually turned up. I even managed to get the van out yesterday morning without having to be towed! :D
    sojourner likes this.
  12. 8ball

8ball Rusty Spoons...

So do you reckon the layout was better than last year? I wasn't there last year but heard a lot of gripes that the layout had changed for the worse. Waters Edge stage had amazing sound if you were within a 6 foot by 6 foor sweet spot but degraded really fast, so it wasn't much good when you had a lot of people there. And the decision to put 3DM on that stage was bizarre - they would have filled the Tornado tent.

That said I thought it was really friendly and well-run, and I didn't see a single case of security being cock-ends, nor a single police.
  13. Tort

Tort Well-Known Member

They had no option but to reposition most of the stages so that they were firing up the hill in order to overcome the problems they had last year with the council. They also spent a fortune on Glastonbury's offsite noise monitoring team and solicitor's bills for a revised watertight contract with the council. Last year they had to turn the bass off in the dance tent at midnight and were forced to pull the plug on at least one headline act half way through their encore so they had very little choice and to that extent it worked very well.

I agree with your point re Waters Edge but as I said before they were let down by the contractor who supplied a much smaller stage than the one they thought they were getting. Knowing Rich, this will be the first thing on his list of improvements for next year. The lad's only 30 and even 5 years in the whole thing is still a massive learning curve for him and his happy band of volunteers. But having grown from 500 people in a pub beer garden to a slickly run event for 7,000 in that period, I really think that Bearded Theory came of age this year.

You're also spot on re security. Last year there were a few issues with some rather heavy-handed meatheads & I'm not sure if it's a completely new team but they were much more user-friendly this year. & I didn't see a single copper either.
    sojourner likes this.
  14. 8ball

8ball Rusty Spoons...

Cheers for the info. Lucky the council weren't quite such arseholes this year...

Had no idea there were as many as 7,000 people. :eek:
  15. Tort

Tort Well-Known Member

Fairly sure that's about right. The site is actually licensed for a lot more but they don't want to grow it until they are good and ready.

e2a just checked it's actually 5,000 ticket holders plus staff & performers so 7,000 isn't too far wide of the mark :D
  16. William of Walworth

Well I had a pretty damned great time this year, severe chilliness in the earlier part of the fest aside, but plenty of thick layers sorted that.

Best music highlights for me : Back to the Planet and System 7 on Saturday, Selector and Chumbawamba on Sunday, but best of all for both deb and me were King Pleasure and the Biscuit Boys headlining Tornado Town (to a half empty tent :( ) on Sunday night -- absolutely brilliant band! :cool:

I agree with the comments above about the Waterside stage -- the sound quality there was definitely lacking unless you were close up (reassuring to hear that Rich wants to sort that one out next year tho').

I just want to add my ultra high praise for the sound at both Tornado Town and the main stage especially (dance tent too, but I wasn't there very often ... :oops: )-- find a good spot at both and almost all the time the quality was hugely impressive IMO ...

In general, having been along to every Bearded since the first one, I absolutely love this festival and would recommend it to anyone. The fact that there must have been about 3 times (?) as many live-ins/campers this year as there were last time has got to say something pretty positive, and the improvement in the beer quality even more so -- Thornbridge kicks arse, order much more Jaipur next time folks! :D (and on actual handpump like the others would be nice if possible, but that's just a minor CAMRA-purist quibble ... :p )

My only minor/personal gripe is the complete lack of any w/e newspapers for sale anywhere on site on Sat and Sun. But that's just me ;)
  17. cozmikbrew

cozmikbrew Bass case

Not bad,was crap concerning music after 11,some pillock even shouted over to turn off the Dub i was playing on mi phone!Dreadzone were wicked,an Sicknote,went to la la land before Producer came on:facepalm: come too babbling shite to a lovely Scouse couple:DActually enjoyed Adam an the Antz,was with loads of mates singing along,The Popes were good aswell,slept most of Sunday so missed RDF but seen em 10 times this year already,good to see Back to the Planet had been practicing imo they were ace,not sure ill go again,this was last minute freeby job,though,who knows
  18. Tort

Tort Well-Known Member

19. William of Walworth

Excellent as ever! :)

You see more bands than I manage .... :oops:
  20. Buds and Spawn

Buds and Spawn ...if I can't dance...

My first BT and thought it was great - mind you, can't go wrong with RDF, BTTP, Banco de Gaia, and Dreadzone... My fave festy of recent years has been EIID - I thought BT was fluffier and even more laid back...

William - I was also peeved at lack of weekend broadsheets - it's not just you!
  21. Flounder

Flounder Well-Known Member

Its good to see such positive feedback :). The Waters Edge stage is under review - it didn't work where it was and some of the acts were quite big crowd pullers for its size. Each area is separately programmed by different teams, so its not merely a case of moving acts from one stage to another. Anyway BT do read and listen to feedback, so it'll all be considered for next time.
    Shirl likes this.
  22. moose

moose with the voice of Roger Tilling

Is BT replacing EID, Flounder? (or aren't you able to say :D)
  23. Flounder

Flounder Well-Known Member

BT asked myself and Morph (Inkapa City) to come on board and sort out the second stage - that was over a year ago. Tornado Town was the result of this and we will carry on running this area - we're in discussion about more in-depth involvement. Also in discussion with other festivals about involvement at various levels. I don't know whats happening with EiiD - have been working doing all sorts at various events this year but have ironically missed most of the rain. Just back from a lovely wee event in Dorset which was mainly dry and no mud, whilst 10 miles away the Larmer Tree site represents Sunrise but with posher wellies. I'm currently thinking small is beautiful.

Got a great line up nearly done for next years TT at Bearded Theory ;)
    Shirl likes this.
  24. William of Walworth

We just might well make it back to BT in 2013 then! :p ;) :D