1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BBC 6Music - the good bits

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by Lord Camomile, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Lord Camomile

Lord Camomile Unknown Member

So, we have a thread for complaining about 6Music, which is all fine and reasonable, but where's the thread for the good bits?

It's here :)

Judging by the other thread, this one's unlikely to get much love during the weekdays, but come the evenings and weekends... :cool:

I think it's safe to say Sunday is champion for most discernable listeners. Cerys, Huey, Jarvis, Freak Zone, 6Mix, plus an hour of something interesting in the middle. The love for Guy seems to be less universal, but personally I think he has his place. And don't forget Don Letts at the turn of midnight!

I also like the fact they often re-run documentaries in the wee hours - tend not to catch 'em live but makes them available on the iPlayer, which is handy :)

Commence the 6Music luuuurving... now.

[​IMG]

2. Libertad

Libertad I got away with my couscous...

3. gabi

gabi Well-Known Member

Thing with lauren is that she actually plays some really good shit. If only she'd shut the fuck up.

Huey's the best bit of 6 tho imo, by a stretch. I like Jarvis but it can be a hard listen if you're just wantin a few tunes rather than a bit of a magical mystery tour.

Jo Good - where's she gone? I loved her too.

4. Johnny Vodka

Johnny Vodka trolled by reality

I rather like Shaun in the morning.

5. Lord Camomile

I know what you mean, but when you've got the mood/time for it he's brilliant. I love the fact his show isn't just songs, and he finds all kinds of odds 'n' ends, and invites some really interesting people to come one. The Taylor Parkes audio-essays are always a fine listen too.

The visit to the BBC's vinyl library was a great show :)

6. souljacker

souljacker Eggs Bread Cigs Milk

I mentioned on one of the other threads that I love Craig Charles on a Saturday evening. Me and my daughter dance around the kitchen while making dinner.

7. DotCommunist

DotCommunist virtue without terror is impotent.

awooga!

he educates me in funk and soul, a genre(s) I'm not well versed in but do enjoy

8. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

Don Letts, Huey and Cerys are worth the licence fee alone imo :)

9. mr steev

mr steev unkempt clacker

I really like Don Letts. It's just a shame that his show is only an hour long. He did do a christmas show a few years ago that was 3 or 4 hours irrc, and was great :cool:

I'm not a great fan of Craig Charles, or most of the music he plays. Him and Don should swap sets imo :)

10. gabi

gabi Well-Known Member

Don Letts irritates the fuck out of me. i can never get his face out of my head even he's on the radio.

[​IMG]

11. mr steev

mr steev unkempt clacker

What's wrong with his face? :D

I'd rather he didn't feel like he has to mention the clash at every opurtunity, but apart from that I think he's pretty cool

12. gabi

gabi Well-Known Member

i dont know. it's the whole combo really. the well groomed dreads and those designer orange glasses. it gives me the shits. :mad:

13. editor

editor Got a fever +the only prescription is more cowbell

Huey and Cerys are my favourites. I like Letts, Garvey and Jarvis too.

14. Spanky Longhorn

Spanky Longhorn CASE NIGHTMARE GREEN

Craig Charles is a legend saw him do the show live in Whitley Bay last year, I hope he comes back soon. If we're in on a Saturday evening, or indeed getting ready to go out that show is on.

I like most of the weekend schedule to be fair, but especially Huey, Jarvis, the Freakzone and 6Mix, Adam and Joe where good on a Saturday morning and I've learned to like John Holmes on a late Saturday afternoon as well.

Tom Robinson is great as well, especially his New Order night playing now.

But then I like Lauren and most of the other weekday lot as well, including when she talks. Lamaq plays good music but should keep his boring trap shut.

Peel Jr is another good one as well.

stephj likes this.
  15. Spanky Longhorn

Spanky Longhorn CASE NIGHTMARE GREEN

Despite myself I quite like Letts, mainly because of the music he plays, a mate of mine met him at a houseparty a few years ago and he apperently spent the whole time talking about himself, his career, and the Clash, so at least you're getting the real Don Letts on the radio:D

stephj likes this.
  16. DotCommunist

DotCommunist virtue without terror is impotent.

Ravenescroft has a voice that would put out a meth addict. But he does play good music, and most importantly good music that I have not heard before. That is what 6 music should be, the new, the original and yes 90s tunes that I had forgotten about.

This bit probably belongs in the moans thread but:

the afternoon show, riley and nobhead. That 'Chain' feature that they do. They play the opening bit to the chain by fleetwood mac. It does my nut so hard because I love that song, and they never play it, they just link thematically via listner suggestion to some other tune. I used to hate f1 ads for similar reasons

17. la ressistance

la ressistance aesthete

huey. huey. huey. huey. they should make BBChueymusic.

krtek a houby and veracity like this.
  18. bouncer_the_dog

bouncer_the_dog I draw things

Don Letts is the best thing on it. It's my most listened to bit of music radio...

19. starfish

starfish Aloof but effective.

Six mix, 8pm Sundays, usually having a bath. And Huey of course. And whenever Andrew Collins covers.

20. editor

editor Got a fever +the only prescription is more cowbell

I quite like the fact that the bloke on BBC6 Music playing unbelievably shit Goa trance right now is so wildly enthusiastic about every shockingly bad song he plays

spliff likes this.
  21. veracity

veracity unspecified

Agreed. Plus he is well sexy.

Craig Charles is also deffo one of the main r6 highlights :)

22. Libertad

Libertad I got away with my couscous...

Peter Serafinowicz's show on Saturday morning has its moments of hilarity.

23. Lord Camomile

I think I caught a bit of that (generally don't listen to 6mix, but think I might start). Didn't he preface that one with something like "in no way do I endorse this type of music, but I like this one"?

24. Craig Charles plays awesome tunage but by jesus, I wish he'd shut the hell up and stop blabbing all over the intros and outros of the songs. He also sounds like he's on crackstasy or something :rolleyes:

25. mr steev

mr steev unkempt clacker

and the bit's inbetween the songs imo

krtek a houby likes this.
  26. Lord Camomile

Finally getting round to listening to last Sunday's Sunday Service - that Star Wars disco track was a little... interesting :D

e2a: he he, his Maggie/The Iron Lady rant: "argh, it's like she's come back to get us!"

27. stethoscope

stethoscope Well-Known Member

Gilles up in 10 :cool:

28. Ranu

Ranu Poster of the Weak

Another fan of Craig Charles's show here.

29. Johnny Vodka

Johnny Vodka trolled by reality

Listening to Gilles on iplayer now - interesting stuff for a Sat afternoon show. :D

stephj likes this.
  30. savoloysam

savoloysam Won an argument on the internetz once.

No mention of Gideon Coe yet? WTF? :confused: Marc Riley also plays a great mix.