1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Attitudes towards working from home

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by trashpony, Mar 20, 2012.

1. trashpony

trashpony The kittens are taking over the world

Because I want them to carry on paying me?

2. trashpony

Actually that isn't a question. It's a statement of fact. He's a permanent member of staff, I'm not. He could decide I'm surplus. I need the job.

3. weepiper

weepiper eb slootly non verbal

he's a bully. Can I come and call him a wanker?

trashpony likes this.
  4. aqua

aqua made of cheese and gin

only if we can come and call your ex one :D

5. quimcunx

quimcunx jesus tonsils

Have him killed.

6. weepiper

weepiper eb slootly non verbal

deal!

7. trashpony

We should do a mass swap of phone numbers so that we can hassle one another's betes noirs.

I am happy to call weeps' ex and shout wanker down the phone at him at unsociable times of day :cool:

madz - do you have the number of a sw or a teacher I could ring?

8. moomoo

moomoo Not so yummy mummy

I'd be happy to join in and shout 'wanker' at anyone who deserves it.

9. wrysmile

wrysmile Silver Japanese Pony

I love working from home, do it rarely, get shedloads done. But people can be twats about it if they think they can't find you. Point out you are pt. I think some out of business hours emails are called for, but also, most importantly - call him on it. I have never had a work situation continue when I have said 'Perhaps I may be sensitive about this, but when you say x, I think y' and you shouldould add the pt about the lady saying you work in bed etc. People are worried about bullying (unless he is an utter psycho) and he will probably crap himself if you confront him effectively (calm, professional etc). If that fails, ask your boss. If you escalate and the first he hears about it is from his boss, it is unlikely to help the relationship.

10. madzone

madzone Physically unfavourable

No, I've killed them all.

11. trashpony

Whenever he rings he says 'are you sure this is a convenient time?' like I might be off out shopping or having my nails done or something. Or perhaps he's being nice.

Anyway, that's good advice. I had to point out last time I was in London that the deal was that I would go in a couple of days a week at the outset of the contract and then only go in one day a week. He was really surprised that my other clients put up with that :rolleyes: I'm a freelance writer. What's the point of my being in someone's office when I am being paid to write?

12. EastEnder

EastEnder Brixton Barnacle

Let me guess... erotic fiction or Haynes manuals?

13. trashpony

Somewhere between the two :cool:

14. moomoo

moomoo Not so yummy mummy

The Betterware catalogue then.

Biddlybee and trashpony like this.
  15. B0B2oo9

B0B2oo9 You're all Gay

^this, and doing very little and playing xbox and then having to do loads all at once cos you have done fuck all...

16. Meltingpot

Meltingpot On hiatus

I'd be happy to pay to see you do that. :)

BTW, I've been a Betterware distributor (for my sins - actually it was a nice little job when the weather and the customers were also nice), and that's the first time I've heard the catalogue described in that way (a "cross between erotic fiction and the Haynes manual"). The best thing about it was it was smaller than the Kleeneze one, so you carry more of them more comfortably and, also unlike Kleeneze, you didn't have to pay for them in advance.

17. Meltingpot

Meltingpot On hiatus

So does he, most likely he's got a mortgage to pay and possibly a family to support too. Don't underestimate your leverage here.

18. trashpony

He hasn't got a family but I have :D

Actually I remembered that he made a crack to another member of the team on the phone yesterday because she was working from hom. Next time I see her, I might ask her if it annoys her too and then we can gang up on him present a united front

19. kabbes

kabbes kah-bus

In management-speak, these people are called vampires and they are the most destructive thing you can have in a team. The name refers to the way that they suck the life out of everybody else. Once one starts sniping and clock-watching you have trouble, because everybody else becomes paranoid and it can suck them into doing the same things. Before you know it, you have a team of people more interested in being in an office from 9 to 5 than actually doing their work whilst being comfortable in their environment.

Unfortunately, your ability to control it as a team member is limited -- it should really be an issue for the team leader, who should be coming down on it like a tonne of tuna. If your team leader is good enough, a careful explanation from you as to how it makes you feel should be enough for it to be quietly stopped. Unfortunately, most team leaders don't have a clue how to manage, with the result that this kind of shit carries on year after year until the team implodes from a total lack of spirit.

Me76, temper_tantrum and Meltingpot like this.
  20. ATOMIC SUPLEX

ATOMIC SUPLEX Member Since: 1985 Post Count: 3

Because I am currently working at home I can take my daughter to school and drop her off without problems. I get the feeling that the school gate mums think it's an excuse I use, but that could just be my paranoia.

I am currently doing a job for a client through an agency through another productions company.
    Gah. Because what I do is 'creative' (not that it feels like that) and I do it at home, the client thinks I can sit around for days waiting for them to get back to me about changes, and that I am their beck and call to do whatever they want whenever they want it (even though we laid out all the ground rules at the start of the project). It's always like this with composing / foley / sound effects work, I mean it's not a real job anyway is it? Grrr.
    I mean even though I have now written all the songs commissioned by them and I am just waiting for arrangement approval, they now want to swap one of them for a minute of sound effects. Yeah of course, because that song just popped out of nowhere, it's only like I would have been watching loose women if I wasn't writing it anyway.

21. Yetman

Yetman Cheesecar Fucksquad #1

I'm probably not a good example. I fill all the stereotypes :oops:

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  22. trashpony

I never wank when I'm working. Perhaps I should

23. trashpony

Well, Mr Vampire has just replied to my last email saying we should discuss it tomorrow as he is on a train to Euston going to see Paul Weller! And it's not even 5pm!!!!!

Fucking part-timer :mad:

pinkmonkey likes this.
  24. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse wax weasel

Was he wanking on the train?

Schmetterling likes this.
  25. equationgirl

equationgirl red Clydeside

Make sure you call him that the next ten times he makes some reference to you working from bed.

26. Radar

Radar Well-Known Member

Unless he has "hire or fire" responsibilities than screw him (not, not that way)

As long as the person who hired you and signs off your time-sheets is happy then I wouldn't sweat it.

I would however first tell the 'jokey' arsehole that you're only paid for the time you actually work for the company. Now that he knows the score, if he then comes out with any more 'jokes' report him to your boss for bullying.

27. Pingu

Pingu Officially "Cool as Shit"

I am having one of those weeks this week.

ordinarily I find i get far more done at home and actually seem to work longer hours...

sometimes though the above happens and you end up pulling an all nighter to catch up on al the stuff you couldnt be arsed doing through the week.

28. trashpony

Yesterday I had to go into the office and sat next to him. I realise that he spends a lot of time not doing very much and that he has very little idea of what he's doing anyway. I make him look shit so I feel a bit sorry for him now :)

I don't know what you mean :oops: :D

weepiper likes this.
  29. kabbes

kabbes kah-bus

The line manager should sweat it though. As I said before, this kind of behaviour is very corrosive to a team. It should be come down on firmly.

30. Santino

Santino lovelier than lovely

They're all firm once I've come down on them.