1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Asus triumph over Apple at T3 awards, S3 voted best smartphone

Discussion in 'mobiles and tablets' started by editor, Oct 9, 2012.

1. editor

editor Got a fever +the only prescription is more cowbell

Blimey - here's an indicator of how times are a-changing.

The T3 Awards normally see Apple taking home a bagful of awards, but this year it's all about the slightly less glamourous Asus, who emerged with the awards for best gadget (Nexus 7), best tablet (Nexus 7), best computer (UX31), best tech brand and best design (Asus Transformer).

The Samsung S3 got the best phone gong, while Apple had to make do with the rather boring 'best work gadget' prize. Good to see the Raspberry Pi winning too.

http://www.wirefresh.com/samsung-ga...s-7-and-transformer-prime-scoop-up-t3-awards/

2. Ted Striker

Ted Striker Foot's on the other hand

I've just ordered a UX31a, looks rather good :cool:

3. editor

Tis veh shiny! I'm really impressed with Asus's stuff. The Nexus is fantastic value for money and the Transformer Prime looks like it costs double the money - and performs like it too :)

4. souljacker

souljacker Eggs Bread Cigs Milk

Its pretty interesting that Apple got the best work gadget. When the iphone first came out, it seemed to be woefully inadequate for business users. Now, its overtaken Blackberry and become the de facto business phone.

I also suspect they would have wone a couple more awards if the iphone 5 had been available during voting.

5. editor

I'm not so sure about that at all. It's a nice enough phone, but there's nothing really new or particularly innovative about it.

6. souljacker

souljacker Eggs Bread Cigs Milk

Well, we'll never know will we. Do they do an award for 'Most innovative way to make everyone buy new stuff'? They'd have won it for that crappy new connector.

7. editor

No contest.

8. fen_boy

fen_boy Exits gracefully.

UX31 is an odd choice, I hated it when I tried it. It's got the naffest keyboard in the universe.

9. editor

That's been massively improved.

10. Kid_Eternity

Kid_Eternity "You might be a lord but here comes the king."

Isn't T3 that mag that only manages to sell by having half naked women on the cover?

11. Global Stoner

Global Stoner baseline neural therapy

It always strikes me as bizarre that their are any tech mags left in these days of anyone who's interested in tech having access to the internet and all the up to the minute information that brings.

12. editor

T3 is a very successful magazine, and it's syndicated all over the world. I still buy it occasionally. Sometimes it's nice to be able to read a proper magazine rather than look at screen.

13. Global Stoner

That doesn't change my surprise that ink and paper is still so popular...still there is a change from a decade ago when I used to buys mags, there is a lot less space on most newsagents shelves given over to them, so it is declining.

14. Sunray

Sunray Its sunny somewhere.

True of all current smart phones. There is nothing new about any of them, they are competing on colour scheme and proper amplifiers on the head phone socket.

15. editor

I disagree. The Galaxy Note II, for example, has some really interesting new features.

Features I wish my own phone had, in fact.

16. Global Stoner

By itself that's not a bad thing at all.

17. editor

All the top phones have pretty good sound quality these days.