1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arsenal 2011/2012

Discussion in 'football' started by Diamond, Jun 8, 2011.

1. TruXta

TruXta Tired of this

That's simply not true. If the oppo pushes more than 4 people into the box, do you honestly believe it's the job of the back 4 to mop up all of those runs?

2. London_Calling

London_Calling Pleasant and unpatronising

Stats show very clearly the leading problem is with team tactics - partic losing leads.

3. iROBOT

iROBOT CURRENTLY RE-BOOTING

It's very rare that any opposition we face floods our box as we have players that are quite good at counter attack and if the do then yes, but having Walcott (for instance) defending corners is a mistake.

4. iROBOT

Well maybe you'd have stayed in the Prem if you had Messi...Silly comparison. Mind you if you know where a cheap Drogba is avalible, please do let us know.

5. TruXta

TruXta Tired of this

Regardless of that, you can't just blame the defence. The whole team must work both offensively and defensively. Fair enough that you're especially poor at defending set-pieces, and you need some big lads to rectify that, but there's more to it than just getting a couple of towering CBs in. There's something fundamentally wrong with the way you defend.

6. iROBOT

If you reduce our conceded goals through set plays (50%+) I think you might find that goals conceded from open play are comparable to other teams (if not better).

I disagree completely with you. We needed a leader in the back to marshal the team when under pressure from set pieces. A reduction of (say) 25% in this figure would mean us holding on to more leads and being in a better position in the league at the end of the season.

7. TruXta

TruXta Tired of this

You forget that this defensive problem has been ongoing for years now - after all you've won zero since what, 2006? Last season it was set-pieces, the seasons before it was a more general malaise.

8. iROBOT

Yes it has. I do belive that Kos' will be a great player for us and with Vermallian (must learn to spell their names) we have the makings of a good(ish) centre paring but we need another two and taller.

The season before last was injuries, the year before Da Silvas leg break (and that idiot Clichy gave away a penalty) derailing the end of the season when we were 5 points clear at the top
    However, a thread running through all seasons since 2005 has been the mental attitude, which continues to suck.

9. TruXta

TruXta Tired of this

Who's Kos?

10. kained&able

kained&able Here for the football.

You need that clearly! But you need more then one player being able to head the ball(presuming bendner/chamakah arent playing). You will need at least 3/4/5 as guess what, every other team will have at least that! hell even man united who i believe are the shortest team in the league will have rio/vidic/hernandez at least crashing the 6 yard box with great effect and most teams will have a hell of lot more then that.

dave

11. iROBOT

Koscielny...(had to look that up....:oops:)

12. iROBOT

Yup...Our problem is depth of squad and I cant disagree with any of what you say. Other clubs in the top four would spend 50million + to address your concerns. Not us (for good or bad).

13. TruXta

TruXta Tired of this

Oh of course. Nah, he's cack. Him and that Squidlatchey kid, they're both crap.

14. iROBOT

See Kos against Barcelona and you might change your tune. He got better and better as the season wnet on. I expect good things from him in 2011/12

Squilachi is indeed shit.

15. TruXta

TruXta Tired of this

Just winding you up about Koscielny tbh. But Squillaci IS shit. Vermaelen is class tho.

16. iROBOT

:cool::)

We agree! (yeah).

17. kained&able

koscielny i can see potential in but i'm really not convinced he is a starting chmapionsleague place defender yet, but i guess that gets sorted if you sign cahill or someone else good enough to be in front of him in the pecking order.

Still could do with one more though as im really not convinced by dejourou or squelchy.

dave

18. mattie

mattie missing in inaction

England's Matthew Upson is looking for a gig.

19. iROBOT

Dont forget Kos was playing lower (french) division football two/three years ago and he did well against Barca, esp in North London. Johan trailed off towards the end of the season but had a good run and showed some signs of his ability. We only lost two (maybe three) games with Kos and Johan in the centre. Make of that what you will.

20. iROBOT

I'd have him...but would Wenger....:hmm:

21. chieftain

chieftain Mega Gammon

22. Daniel

Daniel DelusionalDancer Since1991

I would not be surprised if Wenger just moves TV to the left, and puts Kos and Joroo in the centre!

I would love to see Squilacci gone, and Cahill (not that I think his better then Samba, but would like to see an injection of English players) to be bought in along with baines and Parker.

Shouldn't Gervinho be here by now?

Alvarez, the player that was to supposedly have practically signed for us is now apparently away to inter (not that paper talk can be seen as factual I guess)

Another thing that is annoying me lately is how the papers have REALLY jumped on this band wagon that AFC is facing an exodus (RVP? Don't make me laugh!) and the club is practically crumbling!

23. iROBOT

TV on the left would work as that was his position when we bought him. Him and Gibbs I can see working. So we dont need a replacement for GC....:cool:

On the RvP, it is a bit too much shitstirring. esp' when you concider the amount of times he's come out in loyalty to the Arsenal and after all of his injuries and us standing by him, it would be a monumental act of treachery which I belive he's not capable of doing against us.

Still, seems lthat to be a Gooner these days you have to take the baiting from the press. Boy would they LOVE us to do a Leeds....:mad:

24. TruXta

TruXta Tired of this

Noone's expecting you to do a Leeds, but I do think people expect you to lose some of your best players - Fab, Nasri, maybe even RvP depending on who you get in. FWIW I don't think Chris Samba will impress RvP much.

25. kained&able

doing a leeds involves punching well above your weight by racking up a huge debt surely?

While i think everyone would agree the demise and relegation of arsenal fc would be loltastic(and very unlikely) you can't really do a leeds.

dave

26. iROBOT

It was more a metaphor for a once great club reduced to "has-beens" I'm not too bothered about specifics’

27. iROBOT

RvPs NOT LEAVING!!!! :mad:

It's just a bunch of press bullshit. The rest might be true, but RvP is Gooner through and through.

28. TruXta

TruXta Tired of this

He might tho - and he said as much himself didn't he? If you don't get some serious proven quality players in he'd be willing to up sticks.

29. Daniel

Daniel DelusionalDancer Since1991

TV would work, but his our strongest CB and we really missed him last season, it would be silly to put him on the left when he works so well in the centre.

Where has RvP said that? Or has he basically done a speech and The Mirror (worst one at the moment IMO) decides to take a few words from a couple sentences and then glue them all together to make it up.

As said above, RvP is the most loyal player there, who puts in a lot of effort and has many times said that Arsenal is the club he wants to stay and win trophies win (Fuck knows if he'll win any though! :p)

Gerv in for a medical today.

Just need to see CB's and a midfielder going in for medicals now and I will be relieved!

30. TruXta

TruXta Tired of this

Could be the usual made up BS. I'm not finding a direct quote atm.