1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Argentinas latest propaganda fail

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by likesfish, May 3, 2012.

1. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker Banned

In the same circumstances you'd have to be wouldn't you? Proximity has never been a useful arbiter of who owns what regarding territory.

Between the 15th and 20th centuries most European nations were land grabbing all over the globe. Britain and Spain were just better at it than everyone else. Than doesn't make it right but it was the policy which shaped the world as we know it. Argentina itself is a nation which owes it's existence to the genocide of the indigenous people. It's a bit rich for them to cry foul over the Falklands just because they're 300 miles away from them.
  2. Random

Random Ethnic nalgocrat

The Danish Faroe Islands are about three times further from Denmark than they are from The UK mainland. Edit: closer to the UK than Falklands are to Argentina
  3. claphamboy

claphamboy The wheels on the bus go round and round....

Can we grab them & let France have the Channel Islands?
  4. claphamboy

I guess the US will be claiming Bermuda next, the bastards. :mad:
  5. Spymaster

There are many similar examples, Guadaloupe, Martinique, Svalbard, Aruba, The Dutch Antilles, The Cooks, French Guiana, French Polynesia, Reunion, The Cocos, Norfolk Island, Puerto Rico, Macau, Hawaii, Guam ..... the list is huge and that's only some of the non-British ones!
  6. claphamboy

The basic principle must always come down to what the majority of any given territory wants.

It's not for anyone else to interfere in their wishes, it's that simple at the end of the day.
  7. Nice one

Nice one Well-Known Member

let's hope none turn into another turks and caicos islands
  8. Random

Random Ethnic nalgocrat

I agree, as a basic principle, but the UK government has been massively hypocritical in pretending that this is their reason for defending the Falklands.

Plus there's also proportionality. A war with China in order to hold on to Hong Kong may have defended the wishes of the residents to stay under UK rule, but would have cause more harm than the current Chinese rule. Likewise, I can't see how a war that killed 1,000 people was worth it to prevent an Argentine occupation of the Falklands.
    ymu likes this.
  9. claphamboy

You can't compare Hong Kong with the Falklands, as much of HK was only leased from China.
  10. Spymaster

I don't think that successive British governments have necessarily been hypocritical. It's just one of those rare situations when the interests of the populace are fully aligned with those of the British government. Whilst that's the case of course the government will use the "wishes of the islanders" argument to tell Argentina to fuck off. It's absolutely bulletproof, especially in the eyes of the wider international community and we'd think them stupid if they didn't use it, given that 99% of the islanders favour British dependancy.
  11. claphamboy

Because we were wrong and fucked-up, we should continue to be wrong & fuck-up?

Bonkers.
  12. Nice one

because real life isn't always "that simple at the end of the day".

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/15/world/americas/15web-briefs-Turkscaicos.html
  13. Spymaster

Someone always tries this when they realise they haven't a leg to stand on regarding the Falklands. "Yes, but the Brit's did this, that, and the other ....". None of which have anything to do with, or bear the slightest resemblance to, the Falkland Islands.
  14. claphamboy

15. likesfish

likesfish chanelling mike from spaced

Its the 21st centuary international law as moved on a bit since turning up with enough guns meant you owned what you invaded.
    apart from israel and goa and tibet no country has got away with an armed landgrab and two of those are far from settled.

If ireland tried to claim the isle of man the UK goverment would be right to defend the island.

what exactly is wrong with defending british citizens from invasion?
    claphamboy likes this.
  16. Nice one

both british overseas territories and because UK is still a colonial power.
  17. likesfish

the undecolonisation committee which argentina loves to quote has refused to talk to the falklands ireland goverment or even vist the islands.

If they cant be bothered to go and visit the windswept islands and talk to the stills they can fuck off.
    along with the nobel prizewinners who refused the invite and any other fucker who thinks the people who live on the Islands should have the first say on what happens.
    argentina claims to be a democracy it should listen to the people who live on the islands and leave them alone.
    much like the people who live in Northern ireland the people who live in the statelet need to sort it out (it might be a histroical mistake but the people who live their now need to deal with it.)
  18. claphamboy

Has there been claims of a "high probability of systemic corruption or other serious dishonesty" with the Falkland's government?

No.

So, your point is? :hmm:
  19. Spymaster

The Turks and Caicos is about the worst example you could choose to make your point, though I'm not actually sure you have one regarding the Falklands. Their government was suspended after allegations of rape against the premiere, massive corruption, and the great relief of the majority of the population. And you know who depopulated the Ts&Cs in the first place don't you? Step forward ..... Spain!

But what's that to do with the Falklands?
  20. Mr Moose

Mr Moose Incredible Elk

We should give it back in return for restablishment of the Inca empire.
  21. Spymaster

I wish folk would stop saying "give it [them] back". It implies that they were once theirs which was never the case.
  22. Nice one

it was in response to this statement: "The basic principle must always come down to what the majority of any given territory wants. It's not for anyone else to interfere in their wishes, it's that simple at the end of the day".

And my point is that t & c islands, and its population, has exactly the same relationship to the british state as the falklands.

Plus do a bit more googling about the current situation in t & c, it makes interesting reading
    bamalama likes this.
  23. claphamboy

I don't believe that the UK should have taken direct control of T & C islands, I think it could have been dealt with better, despite what appears to have been wide-spread support amongst the population for the action taken.

The circumstances were, however, somewhat extreme, the same circumstances do not apply to the Falklands, so any comparison is utterly pointless.

Do you actually have anything worthwhile to say about the Falklands?
  24. Mr Moose

Mr Moose Incredible Elk

Briefly they were weren't they? 19th Century.
  25. bamalama

bamalama don't do that

wibble
  26. bamalama

bamalama don't do that

I love these malvinas threads,military fan boys waving their cocks around...the bigotry and jingoism,the barely disguised hatred of anyone/thing that's ever challenged the brits,the historical and logical backflips...ahh an entertaining sunday evenin ...
  27. likesfish

Oh fuck cunt arnt there some protestants you can burn or children you can hand over to a padeophile priest?
    Oh I forgot you borrowed so much money you now have to ask the germans if you can take a dump.

I,ve fnally got an internet stalker god your life must be sad :)
  28. bamalama

bamalama don't do that

:facepalm:...:D
  29. two sheds

two sheds not as daft as i look

And they avoid answering a simple question as to whether whether they could possibly see the Argentine point of view in all this, Claphamboy not even seeming to recognise that there could be such a question.
  30. likesfish

The argentine point of view is latin macho bollocks.

it was stolen off us by pirates. the war was a mistake and nobody supported it. the islanders are squatters so they don't count.
    etc etc.