1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple WWDC 2010 keynote (iPhone 4 announced)

Discussion in 'computers, web and general tech' started by Crispy, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Kid_Eternity

Kid_Eternity "You might be a lord but here comes the king."

Got a pair of Sennheiser CX 300-II, great headphones. I swear by Sennheiser now, the best headphones for the price range by far ime...
  2. maldwyn

maldwyn What?

Is that it then as far as new shiny things getting announced; no make over on the MacPro, free mobile-me, air update, mac-mini's or that touch pad thing?
  3. Kid_Eternity

No idea. They've released a new Safari so I guess it's possible that there may be some new stuff coming....
  4. maldwyn

maldwyn What?

I lost my bookmarks when I installed that :oops:

Better get round reimporting them from Firefox. :facepalm:
  5. Winot

Winot BrixtonIan

It's worth signing up to xmarks to keep everything tickety boo.
  6. editor

editor Like an ultra left hatboy on heat

Does Safari work with XMarks (with the password feature)?
  7. Winot

Winot BrixtonIan

It definitely works - but apparently not with password sync (if that's what you meant).

details
  8. editor

Blimey. Apple surely seem to be on a mission here:
  9. Crispy

Crispy Fond of drink and industry

That will go to court
  10. Kid_Eternity

On what basis?
  11. g force

g force Affects Shatner's Basoon

Well EU competition laws for one...
  12. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

In theory some EU investigation seems possible, but on the otherhand they probably went after Microsoft ina big way due to the huge market share that Windows had, a share that despite all the hype the iPhone is unlikely to achieve. So I dont know.
  13. Kid_Eternity

Why? How is this anti competitive given the high level of choice in the smartphone market?
  14. editor

15. editor

A rumour:

Note: the use of the 'f' word is not mine.
  16. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet ammonia snooker balls

Hold on, I thought iAds were on mobile content only?
  17. editor

I can't quite work that article out myself to be honest, and annoyingly, you can't copy and paste it on here.
  18. kyser_soze

kyser_soze Hawking's Angry Eyebrow

@ KE: Apple is creating a restricted and protected space for ad tracking that favours his own product, ergo it's anti-competitive practice because it prevents 3rd parties from accessing information on a like-for-like basis.
  19. editor

20. grit

grit an ugly force for good

21. magneze

magneze mnemonic beef

eh? :confused:
  22. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

I think there may be some bullshit flying around about Safari Reader. It would help if I knew the technical details about how it determines which part of the site is the actual article - maybe it goes by div tags with certain labels, maybe html5 article tags, maybe something else. Either way I dont expect it to be showing any adverts, those who say it still allows Apples own iAds are mistaken, unless they are simply referring to the fact that Safari reader is not on iphone & ipad at the moment.
  23. stupid dogbot

stupid dogbot Haughty and Superior

Oh do fuck off. :facepalm:
  24. grit

25. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

Well at least with Safari reader the first page is initially loaded in full, meaning the ads still get served to you. User then has to press a button to see the article without ads.
  26. Kid_Eternity

It's only doing that on the product it owns, it's not doing that on other products from what I can tell.

Again, how does this restrict choice in the market place when punters can go buy a Web OS, RIM, Windows Series 7 or Android device (and plenty of each too)?
  27. editor

Why do you think Microsoft got done for including IE in its OS?
  28. Crispy

Crispy Fond of drink and industry

MS's position was different though, they had monopoly on operating systems. Apple does not have monopoly on smartphones - I see what KE is saying
  29. editor

How did they have a monopoly on OSs? You could buy Mac, Linux etc etc., and were free to install any browser you liked on Windows.
  30. grit

You dont have to be the only player to have a monopoly.