1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple iPhone/iPod Touch apps recommendations thread

Discussion in 'computers, web and general tech' started by trashpony, Jan 14, 2010.

1. teuchter

teuchter *worse than Sean Connery in every regard*

I know this is just going to make people shout at me, but that amazing photoshop app just seems to do the stuff you've been able to do on any decent cameraphone, out of the box, for like 5 years or something. With the possible exception of straightening horizons.

2. Kanda

Kanda Nosh Wagon

iPhone hasn't been around for 5 years. What's your point?? :confused:

iPhone comes out, companies write apps for it...

3. teuchter

Just surprising such basic functionality isn't included out of the box, I guess.

When you take a picture do you have to close the camera application and then open the photoshop one and reopen the file? Or can you go straight to editing the photo once you've taken it?

4. Kid_Eternity

Kid_Eternity "You might be a lord but here comes the king."

I don't remember any camera phone having the level of editing the app has half a decade ago. :hmm:

5. editor

editor Got a fever +the only prescription is more cowbell

Nah, you're wrong. There's was not a free app capable of such relatively complex image processing available on any mobile platform five years ago.

6. teuchter

I remember my N73 doing this stuff on the built-in photo editor, about 4 years ago at least.

7. editor

Have you actually used the iPhone Photoshop app? There really was no free Nokia app capable of this kind of editing power five years ago.

8. stupid dogbot

stupid dogbot Haughty and Superior

I had a Nokia N73 as a work phone back then and it was complete and utter rubbish. The "photo editing" it could do was a joke.

In fact, as a multi-function device, it was a joke. Yes, it did lots of things... all of them badly.

9. mrs quoad

mrs quoad ¡pǝlqɐsıp ƃuıƃƃɐʇ sɐɥ ;ǝpnɹ ʇou

Geared - painfully simple, absolutely fantastic. You have x cogs of 5 sizes. You have one rotating wheel, and x still wheels. You have to use your cogs to power all the still wheels.

Fling! - flick little furry balls into one another to clear a screen (with 1 furry ball left). Great stuff!

10. Kid_Eternity

3 years ago and having had that phone I can tell you nothing it did compared to this app. You're talking shite.

11. stupid dogbot

Don't get me wrong, I do like Nokias, always have... but the N73 is easily the worst, most useless phone I've *ever* had.

12. editor

Resco Photo on the Palm OS could do a few of the things that Photoshop mobile does, but nowhere near as slickly.

I was, however, able to take the SD card out of my camera, pop it in my Palm Treo and edit the image before uploading it. I'd really like that ability now as the iPhone's camera is well shonky.

13. Kid_Eternity

Mine was fine (apart from the idiotic drilling down you needed to do to get to things) for about 6 months then it started getting really slow. Was always great for 3G tethering to my laptop though. :cool:

14. Pie 1

Pie 1 The fuck did I do?

Just to add to the other voices for clarification: You're talking out of your bottom (and I think you know it).

:)

15. stupid dogbot

Had mine for about 4 weeks, then bullied the rep into giving me something else. I forget what (wasn't a Nokia) some touchscreen smartphone thing, but it was rubbish, too. But for me, as a high end techy, the N73 just wasn't remotely suitable as a work phone, and everyone who had one at the company (30+ people) complained about them.

Ended up with a TyTnII, which was fine, for example.

16. teuchter

A quick google brings up this from 2005:

http://www.gsmhacks.com/forums/symb...ications/2226-nokia-photo-editor-v1-01-a.html

That looks like it was the default on low end Nokias around that time; I can't find any record of exactly what was on the N-series ones.

Of course the iPhone thing is more "slick" - the hardware is different, bigger higher res touch screen compared to a small screen with d-pad. Current touchscreen Nokias have something equivalent, but you don't have to install an app, it's just part of the regular software that comes with the phone. Like I say you can do your editing straight from the camera, and also MMS/email/bluetooth/upload to web without having to open any other applications - does the photoshop thing allow that?

17. teuchter

It wasn't supposed to be a work phone - it was an N-series and aimed mainly at multimedia type stuff. The ones with E on the front are supposed to be for business use.

The reason I had it (and the reason I've had other Nokias since, despite their shortcomings) was the decent camera (at that time).

18. editor

19. Kanda

Kanda Nosh Wagon

20. teuchter

I don't know why you're posting that image and link which is for something different from what I linked to, which was the built-in Nokia editor?

Also, here is a Sony Ericsson photo editor from 2006, again built-in and not even for one of their cameraphone line:

http://www.sonyericsson.com/webguid...gallery_and_Picture_editor/Picture_editor.htm

21. editor

And still shit compared to the Photoshop app which can handle FULL resolution images - not teensy weensy little mobile pics - and output very high quality images thanks to some excellent onboard tools.

22. Pie 1

Pie 1 The fuck did I do?

Actually, I don't know why your posting all these irrelivent specs about crappy 5 yr old phones on an iPhone/touch applications thread.

No-one gives a flying fuck - Care to move on?

23. teuchter

I'm very sceptical that you can do much meaningful image manipulation on a screen that size if we're talking about "very high quality images". Quite why anyone would take a high res image and load it onto their iphone for manipulation, instead of doing it on a proper computer, I don't know.

Realistically, this is for fixing up photos taken on the limited quality camera for MMS-ing or emailing. Just like the similar applications which come built in to most other decent cameraphones.

Clearly... which is why everyone's getting in such a tizz about it.

24. trashpony

trashpony The kittens are taking over the world

This is a recommendations thread, not one for trying to prove that nokias are as good as iphones. Can you take this discussion somewhere else pls?

25. Kid_Eternity

This.

26. editor

You're well behind the times.

Photoshop on mobiles is used far more for uploading photos to flickr, Facebook, MySpace, blogs and websites, and after some editing, even the crappy iPhone camera can produce some very usable results.

27. teuchter

'Usable' isn't the same as 'very high quality'. But anyway I will take my heresy elsewhere and promise never to post on this thread again, unless I ever get an iPhone.

28. Kid_Eternity

29. Pie 1

Pie 1 The fuck did I do?

OK, this one's scary. CarIndex.

In Switzerland, name & address details, linked to your car registration plate details, are already avalable online through a govt. database & some odd Swiss freedom of info stuff.

Now there's an app with all this stuff on it actually boasting/encouraging you to use it for purposes like:

"annoyed by that slow driver in front of you? give him a call!"
    "call the car owner directly from within the application"
    "see directly where the car owner lives"

:eek:

30. Pie 1

Pie 1 The fuck did I do?

BTW, another excellent photography post production app called Cool FX is on sale for 59p atm.
    A ton of B&W & colour filters etc + the ability to do multiple layers.