1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple iPad 2 tablet: chats, opinions, discussions, rants etc

Discussion in 'mobiles and tablets' started by editor, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Bernie Gunther

Bernie Gunther Fundamentalist Druid

Interesting the disparity between the numbers of people using iPads for work and the number of them getting them supplied by work.

Reading the article above it talks about 'enterprise users' so one assumes they don't mean the sorts of contractors who don't get supplied with a work PC.

Implies a lot of people are supporting their employer's stock price out of their own pocket, possibly due to shitty ancient work-supplied machines that take 20mins to boot from sleep.
  2. Kid_Eternity

Kid_Eternity "You might be a lord but here comes the king."

Nope just used to it now...
  3. pinkmonkey

pinkmonkey 2.4 hour party person

My touchpad was impossible to type on, my ipad is great to type on, surprised that theres so much difference in one touchscreen compared to another.
    I dont think id bother with a separate keyboard its that good. I am using it increasingly for work, the only thing i cant do on it is detailed illustrator or photoshop work. I did an overnight trip abroad this week, took only a small backpack, any tablet is perfect for short trips like that. Ive also put several pdf portfolios on there. The main reason i wanted a tablet in the first place was for reading digital magazines - paper ones take too much room up and hurt my back with weight of carrying them around. I already had several digital subscriptions and one by one the publishers have brought out ipad apps. Its great coz i can download them and do my research wherever i happen to be - its made me more productive, definitely.
    Ive started using evernote and dropbox so that i dont forget certain files from my laptop.
    And yes im self employed so i buy my own kit. Not extravagently though, i expect a laptop to last a min of 4 years, but i dont buy cheap crap either.
  4. mrs quoad

mrs quoad ¡pǝlqɐsıp ƃuıƃƃɐʇ sɐɥ ;ǝpnɹ ʇou

My main difficulty with this has been needing a laptop (at conferences) for Powerpoint, because the facilities haven't had HDMI connectors for an iPad / keynote display (controlled remotely by iPod, obv :D).
  5. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

You can get a VGA adaptor http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MC552
  6. Bungle73

Bungle73 I was there, now I'm here

Has anyone subscribed to the Focus magazine app through Busubscriptions.com? I have and my login details won't work!
  7. Kid_Eternity

This is very cool!

8. editor

editor Like an ultra left hatboy on heat

9. Kid_Eternity

Yup. Just shows with a little imagination you can work past the obvious design constraints of a tablet.
  10. editor

Looks like a pretty pointless visual gimmick to me.
  11. Crispy

Crispy Fond of drink and industry

Being able to hold one page, while skimming through with the other finger looks kind of useful.
  12. editor

Still looks like pointless eye-candy gimmickry, but each to their own.
  13. Crispy

Crispy Fond of drink and industry

The functionality, I mean. Being able to hold your page, then flip back or forward a few pages to check something, is something you can do easily with paper books, but it's clumsy with ebooks. This seems like a nice way of doing it. The rest of the demo I don't really care for.
  14. Kid_Eternity

Yup, it's very neat that people are actively thinking this stuff through...
  15. mrs quoad

mrs quoad ¡pǝlqɐsıp ƃuıƃƃɐʇ sɐɥ ;ǝpnɹ ʇou

Oop!

iMame emulator appeared, was around for approx 3 weeks, & now seems to've disappeared!
  16. Citizen66

Citizen66 splash the cistern

Apparently that's a regular occurrence. An emulator will appear and then further down the line will be gone again. I suppose you just have to have your eyes peeled and check regularly if you want one.
  17. Citizen66

After much indecision and soul searching I finally gave in and got an iPad.

One thing though; has Prey been removed from ITunes and if so, why?

Not gonna feel half as confident out and about with it without that semi-safety net.
  18. Bungle73

19. electroplated

electroplated off minehead

I know it's not exactly the same thing but you can still track it / lock it / wipe it remotely using iCloud.com...
  20. Citizen66

Smart anti-theft tracking software that takes photos of whoever has your kit, takes screen grabs of whatever they're looking at and betrays their location by using nearby wifi connections and emailing you a little map with an arrow on it. Or something.

There was a thread with all this happening at Christmas time which has since been shuffled away from view presumably for upcoming court case purposes.
  21. Kid_Eternity

Not heard anything about it being removed. It's not as good but at least you still have the option of using the find my ipad feature on icloud.com to locate, lock and remote wipe it should you misplace it.
  22. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

Looking at their twitter feed it looks like they submitted a new version to the app store a couple of days ago, and its unclear that its available to everyone yet as there are some people asking why they can't see it on their countries store and they are being told to wait a little bit.
  23. Kid_Eternity

How ironic!

24. Kid_Eternity

iPad2 set to be introduced to House of Commons after committee clears their use for MPs, bulk buying hoped to bring discount.

They shouldn't need a 3G iPad2, much easier to blanket the Palace of Westminster with a high speed wifi network...
  25. maldwyn

maldwyn What?

Our Mp's being holed up in Apple's walled garden has a certain appeal.
  26. Kid_Eternity

United States Air Force plan purchase of up to 18,000 iPads for flight bag replacements. Ipad is certainly getting into to some interesting areas. The thing with these moves is it means the device will be embedded for some years to come as decisions to go that route aren't usually reversed in the medium term...

27. Bungle73

28. Kid_Eternity

No surprise, let me speculate and say it'll be quad core, better battery and have a retina screen.:D
  29. maldwyn

maldwyn What?

And perhaps a two-tier purchase option with the current model being kept in production perhaps slightly cheaper to take on the Fire and its like.
  30. B0B2oo9

B0B2oo9 You're all Gay

w00t i'm getting one, my Ipad is fucking me off now.