1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple iOS: list your killer apps (ipad, iphone)

Discussion in 'mobiles and tablets' started by Citizen66, Feb 8, 2012.

1. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

Anybody tried Photoshop Touch for the iPad 2 yet?
  2. Kid_Eternity

Kid_Eternity "You might be a lord but here comes the king."

That does look very interesting I have to say...
  3. editor

editor Like an ultra left hatboy on heat

The Android version came out last year and it's supposed to be pretty good, albeit a bit fiddly:

4. Citizen66

Citizen66 splash the cistern

Shame this thread isn't about androids then, eh?
  5. editor

It's about the same app that's just been released on iOS, so I would have thought a video showing how it will work on that platform would be rather informative. :facepalm:
  6. Kid_Eternity

The Ed 3 step thread derail plan revealed:

1. Make seemingly innocent Android comment on an Apple related thread
    2. Play the innocent when called on the above implying the caller is stupid
    3. When step 2 is pointed out either a) flounce or b) go mental accusing everyone else of having a problem for five pages

:D
  7. pinkmonkey

pinkmonkey 2.4 hour party person

I have a Photoshop app for the ipad 2 - I got it when I was travelling and had to edit and send some photos off to a client. The whole process was a piece of piss. Yes there is a dongle for the sd card, but it takes one second to connect and the user interface is effortless. For some of the tasks I have to do for work (screen-grabbing and editing hundreds of images from the web and from pdfs to make market reports), it's *much* faster on the ipad than on my laptop. Which I didn't expect. It also means I can do a tedious task lounging around on a sofa or in an airport. Which is ace.
  8. 2hats

2hats these hands were made for making

9. editor

I can't say I've been impressed with it at all: it seems to spend most of its time telling you it can't find what you're looking for. I found it even worse than Siri (and that is saying something!), but it'll be truly pathetic if Apple throw it out of their app store just for offering an alternative.

Just about all of the similar programs (on multiple platforms) can usually manage to get the weather right, btw!
  10. 2hats

Now supposedly Apple are working with the authors of Evi to 'avoid confusion with Siri'.

Perhaps they could just market each as 'shit' and 'not-so-shit' to distinguish them, in the light of this thread... :hmm:
  11. editor

You'd have to be on some pretty special drugs to confuse Evi with Siri.
  12. 2hats

Who needs drugs when one can have the reality distortion field?
    editor likes this.
  13. Kid_Eternity

Well without wishing to derail this thread anymore (thought it was a suggestions thread not another debate Apple's crappy policies thread) I think it's crap they have a policy like this at all. I understand it from a business pov but as a consumer I want choice and competition in the app store...
  14. 2hats

Absolutely. Strange they don't get worked up about the hordes of note taking, clock, weather or stock app clones in the app store, eh?
  15. Kid_Eternity

Exactly.
  16. pinkmonkey

pinkmonkey 2.4 hour party person

The most used app in our place is GT Racing, it's also the reason I can never use the ipad. Grr!
  17. Structaural

Structaural in Chatsubo

Demon Cam from Videocopilot is clever fun, my daughter was freaking her grandma out with it at the weekend.

http://www.demoncam.com/
  18. danski

danski Oh, you speckled wonder!

Anyone using Voxer?
    Quite fun and kinda useful. Probably other things that do the same but it seems pretty robust.
    (If you can't be arsed to clicky, it basically turns your phone into a walkie talkie....vocal text messages)
    eta..Not actually vocal text messages ( :rolleyes: at me) , but sending voicemail like you would a text, if that makes sense. Really useful when you can't text but can blurt out a quick message
  19. Kid_Eternity

Sounds interesting...will check out.
  20. Boris Sprinkler

Boris Sprinkler Jizz Lasso

I have an iphone 5 from work. It was jailbroken for a bit but it was killing the battery, but these are the apps I am running that I find useful/like:

Photography:
    Instagram
    Hipstamatic
    Vine - new social video app thingy
    Cinemagram - Takes a video, lets you retain some of the video whilst turning the rest into a photo. Can get some funny effects
    HDRforFree - Can mess with the ranges in photos to resemble HDR. Bit meh, but if you take a decent enough photo it can be good.

Entertainment:
    youtube
    spotify
    soundcloud

Productivity:
    Dropbox
    Dolphin Browser (to check when things dont work on Chrome)
    Speedtest - Test internet speed
    Remote - For apple TV
    Translate

Utilities:
    Prey (anti theft)
    Flashlight (because I still haven't got round to fixing the attic light)

Current:
    Facebook
    iReddit
    Glassboard (social collaboration tool )
    yr.no (weather)
    Hootsuite (twitter)
    AccuWeather (second opinion might give better weather)
    Independent (newspaper)

Education:
    (also known as we are in a restuarant and its getting late, I know you are tired, here's daddys phone)
    Disney Princess Sticker Book
    Princess Colour Mix
    M√łgfuglene (I really have no idea what is going on in this one)
    My horse - (Amazing game, you own a horse and feed it and fuck it I'm bored of this shit already. It doesn't die however, so this is good - oh shit scrap that. I just killed it. I just checked the app and it asked me to restore an acccount that was level 4 with gems or money or some shit, but the name was weird so I figured it was a mistake and clicked don't restore. I do not recommend this it is confusing.).
    Phone4kids - Silly phone game.
    Dino Martin - Spelling with a dinosaur
    Quiz Battle - Like a trivial pursuit game you can play against random people or friends. Only in Swedish or Danish I think currently.
    Boom! - Fun game.

Work:
    Fing - ping sweeper, network scanner
    Linkedin
    Evernote - I have the full version after I bought macheist
    Shodan - Vulnerability Database
    Find iphone
    iterminal - unix terminal client
    zScan Pro - nmap clone
    pTerm - Can never have too many terminals
    Net utility - ping sweeper, network scanner
    Afaria - smart phone client for work
    Deep Whois - whois lookup
    Headspace - meditation app

Shopping:
    TaxiNord - Taxi app for a local firm. Can call a taxi direct to your location or preorder one.
    Mobilbilletter - buy bus and train tickets on my phone
    Check my trip - place travel info in here. It gets maps and shit.
    Scan - QR code scanner.
  21. Kid_Eternity

Musyc is great fun, well worth checking out!
  22. barney_pig

barney_pig Po-cha-na-quar-hip

I like frontline d-day commando, though the new update has meant a fiendishly difficult game has become a lot easier, and there is a chance of actually affording the more expensive weapons without spending any real money.
  23. white rabbit

white rabbit Less than zero R.I.P.

I use Remote a lot on iPad. I have speakers attached to Airport modules in each room so as well as controlling the audio, I can turn speakers on or off and change the volume. However, they seem to have fucked it up in iOS7. It seems less responsive and it won't go into landscape mode. This is awkward as it's the aspect I normally use. I have to tilt my head to the side to see what I'm doing. No doubt this will be fixed before long, but I thought releasing buggy and incomplete programs was Microsoft's MO.
  24. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 Hardcore U Know The Score

Can anyone reccomend a good PDF app which will allow pdf magazine pages to be page-turned from the side like an actual mag, rather than scrolled like a regular PDF doc?
  25. Winot

Winot BrixtonIan

I think Goodreader does this.
  26. Kid_Eternity

Harmony, really nice little puzzle game.
  27. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 Hardcore U Know The Score

The new Facebook messenger is rather ace, primarily because it lets you call phones for free - even international phones!

Rather nifty if you need to speak with someone abroad who doesn't have a smartphone or a data connection fast enough to handle Viber or Facetime.