1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple iOS: list your killer apps (ipad, iphone)

Discussion in 'mobiles and tablets' started by Citizen66, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Citizen66

Citizen66 splash the cistern

Got fed up with trawling through the opinions thread for the odd post detailing interesting apps so felt it warranted a dedicated thread.

The iPad is great for wandering down memory lane. Just discovered that Ian Livingstone and Steve Jackson's Fighting Fantasy books are being converted to the iPhone and iPad. The first four or five have been released with more to come. I killed a couple of hours last night messing with The Warlock of Firetop Mountain. Not as fun as the first time around. For those that used to cheat you can still flick back to the page you were last at if you regret a decision but you can't fiddle your inventory, battle outcomes or ability scores; although you could restart the game and re-roll them if you're not happy with skill or stamina levels. Your map drawing skills are definitely needed for navigating the Maze of Zagor As I was painfully reminded after going round in circles for a good half hour. At £1.99 not the cheapest of apps but worth a punt for nostalgia or if you have kids of similar age you were the first time round.

http://fightingfantasy.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=128&Itemid=2

Kid_Eternity likes this.
  2. DotCommunist

DotCommunist virtue without terror is impotent.

everybody cheated at fighting fantasy. Nobody ever played those books honestly

3. chilango

chilango Omnia Sunt Communia

Flipboard
    sketchbook express

4. editor

editor Like an ultra left hatboy on heat

*duplicate thread binned, thread title corrected

Oh, and Tweetdeck is good. And Wordfeud.

5. chilango

Ones that I use the most (other than games and the web browser):

Flipboard
    Sketchbook Express
    Channel 4 News
    iBooks (Stanza used to be better...but is being abandoned by it's new owners iirc)
    Photoshop Express
    Garageband
    Accuweather

6. B0B2oo9

B0B2oo9 You're all Gay

dropbox
    whatsapp
    My folder

7. chilango

Yeah Dropbox is v. useful.

Kid_Eternity likes this.
  8. Structaural

Structaural in Chatsubo

(all iPhone, I don't have an iPad)

Viber (better sounding skype alternative, all platforms except blackberry)
    iTeleport (VNC client)
    FileApp (storage through itunes)
    GoodReader (for PDFs)
    Thumbjam (music)
    NanoStudio (DAW)
    iNap (wakes you when you're a mile from your GPS destination - good for long journeys)
    Motion-X GPS (probably the best tracker, running monitor, map app out there)
    GetRunning (it gets you running)
    Luminance (better and quicker and more controllable Hipster-thing camera)
    iCam (stream from Desktop cameras straight to phone with sound)
    Alien Blue (reddit client)
    Camera+ (better photo app)
    8mm (retro video camera)
    Cinema FX (good with iMovie to edit colour in video)
    AirVideo - (stream from desktop al á Plex but better, more control and subs)
    TocaDoctor (my daughter plays the hell out of this)

9. spacemonkey

spacemonkey I Love Noodles

That heartrate monitor app is brilliant, great use of technology.

Best game I've played recently is Army of Darkness, a few levels in and you're hooked.

Livescore for footy.

iMediashare if you have a Smart TV.

10. nick

nick Pleomorphic Adenomas R us

Used most:
    Pocketmoney
    Bloomberg
    Omnifocus
    Hp 17b calculator
    PvZ
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Mail
    The times (iPad)

11. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

The latest plex sh*ts all over airvideo from a great height.

Loops HD (musical, lot of fun)
    Tapatalk (although urban75 doesnt work quite as well since the xenforo overlords did the update)
    Rebirth (TB303,808,909 synth, havent got a clue how it works, but it keeps me entertained)
    4od/iplayer/itv player
    Remote HD (remote control for macs and apple tv's(jailbroken ones), has a VNC client built in)
    Mocha VNC (standalone VNC client)

I also have both national geographic and british journal of photography magazine apps, the subscriptions are less than the printed version and they're interactive.

Im sure there's more, I just cant think of what right now.

12. pesh

pesh Well-Known Member

VLC remote gets a lot of use in our house as we've got the computer in the office feeding the TV in the front room, great for tweaking the aspect ratio or audio sync when it's a bit wonky.
    Djay on the iPad makes playing music a bit more enjoyable than the standard music player. being able to use it with a bluetooth receiver is a bonus, especially in the local. or in a Thai beach bar.
    AVPlayerHD on the iPad plays everything i've thrown at it perfectly without having to re-encode anything, HD MKV rips etc. a lot better than the old VLC player i used to use. supports video out too.
    Filterstorm is a pretty nifty photo editing program

13. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

Music creation apps:

Korg iKaossilator
    Korg iMS-20
    Yamaha TNR-i
    Animoog
    Grain Science

Midi etc control of other music kit via the iPad:

Lemur
    MidiMe
    genome MIDI sequencer
    StepPolyArp
    SoundPrism Pro

Also Modizer which is a mod/chip music player.

Good looking weather apps:

WeatherNow
    Aelios
    WeatherProHD
    MeteoGram

Above are all iPad favourites of mine though some of them may work with iPhone too, I forget.

14. Structaural

Structaural in Chatsubo

There must be an update :) What I like about airvideo is you can set the quality, full res with high bandwidth, though you need a powerful streamer... but I'll take another look at Plex, its lack of audio boost was annoying but they've put that in now...

VLC remote here as well, very useful when playing direct the computer.

15. Kid_Eternity

Kid_Eternity "You might be a lord but here comes the king."

Big vote for Flipboard, great app! Some other great ones:

Instagram
    Tapatalk
    My Xbox Live
    Summify (although that's going now that Twitter owns it)
    Flixster
    Bus Checker
    Hailo
    TweetDeck
    Weather Doodle
    Camera+
    War on Terror
    Carcassonne
    Dropbox
    Evernote

16. Citizen66

Sooo, sell flipboard to me then. I don't *do* a great deal of actual surfing. I mainly google for bits of info about whatever and the rest of the time forums - mainly here. I suspect flipboard isn't really for that and mainly for reading actual websites you enjoy in a magazine form, which wouldn't really work for my browsing habits. Am I correct in my assumption?

17. Kid_Eternity

Pretty much although I'd say give it a go and plug in segments based on interest and you may find its gets more use than you first thought.;)

18. chilango

I've a range of RSS feeds plugged in to my Flipboard. Some from websites, some from twitter accounts, some facebook pages, some from blogs. All made pretty and easy to navigate. Much better experience for casual reading than visiting each site seperately imo.

19. Citizen66

Just downloaded it. Does seem like it will improve the general browsing experience.

20. Structaural

Structaural in Chatsubo

It's a bit small and crappy on a phone, nice on an ipad though

21. sim667

I cant never get anything in time with djay (it also works out a lot of bpm's wrong!)

22. sim667

It did used to be a bit clunky, but a lots been ironed out. You can also set different streaming rates according to whether you're on wifi/3g.

myPlex also allows to you to share your media center with friends, and queue up videos using a bookmark in a web browser, so you can watch them through the plex client at a later date.

23. Kid_Eternity

Really is a great app, shame it's iOS only really...

24. Citizen66

Boxee allows you to queue up videos from around the net to be watched at a convenient time. Anyone tried it?

I'm gonna give it a whirl. Would be good for queuing up documentaries etc on youtube that have been uploaded in ten minute sections to watch in one hit.

25. mrs quoad

mrs quoad ¡pǝlqɐsıp ƃuıƃƃɐʇ sɐɥ ;ǝpnɹ ʇou

I only use it for upping the pitch on hour-long mixes at the gym :D Can't abide owt below 154-6 bpm (why 154-6 I'm not entirely sure), and the alternatives (Cue Play and that other one by Amidio) require hours of prep. Whereas with DJay you can just plug n play. So to speak.

26. editor

editor Like an ultra left hatboy on heat

Spotify has just upgraded its iOS app to support 320kbps streaming for premium subscribers - which means you'll get awesome sound quality if you're putting your iPhone/iPad through a decent sound system. Probably not worth the bother if you're just using the stock headphones though.

27. Kanda

Kanda Nosh Wagon

I've actually played out with DJay on the iPad. Impromptu gig at a Bar in an italian ski resort.

sim667 likes this.
  28. sim667

Can you beat match by ear though?

I cant :(

29. Kanda

Kanda Nosh Wagon

I have a headphone splitter that allows me to monitor the other track, makes it easier.

30. sim667

Oh yeah I've got one of those...... I just can never tell which is faster or slower...... I can't do it on proper decks either, the only time i can is by syncing when I'm playing on traktor (i cheat on a computer is what I'm trying to say).