1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anniversary of William Wallace's death (23/8)

Discussion in 'Scotland/Alba' started by pilchardman, Aug 23, 2005.

1. pilchardman

pilchardman Dances With Penguins

Does it hold any significance for you?

2. jugularvein

jugularvein extra

unfortunately it just reminds of a shit film. sad eh?

3. Onket

Onket Gertcha

I've just seen a shit load of people, some waving flags & some dressed in kilts, walking through the city (London). Could it be to do with this?

4. stroober

stroober yonder

Couldnae care tbh :rolleyes:

5. bertifrew

bertifrew the antirave

Wallace is part of scottish history, and as such I have some patriotic feelings about him.
    If it only reminds you of a shite film, Maybe you should read a book instead of looking toward hollywood for our history. On the subject of the film, It was ahollywood movie, not a documentary. I get abit annoyed by folk shouting about hoiw the film was not historicaly right, and Mel gibson had a bad weegie accent. So? It was a film!!!. It has very little to do with the real story.

6. cathal marcs

cathal marcs Is it wicked not to care?

A brave courageous patriot indeed.

Beidh ár lá linn!

7. jugularvein

jugularvein extra

i've deleted this as it would be a shame that the thread would be distracted by said shite film but don't patronise me. and you repeat what annoys you :confused: do you annoy yourself? or is it only you who is allowed to say it doesn't have anything to do with history?

8. Belushi

Belushi 01 811 8055

The film was so historically incorrect as to be almost entirely fictional.

Tho' he did fight the English so hats off to him.

9. bertifrew

bertifrew the antirave

10. pilchardman

It truly mystifies me to hear of the people in tears in Spittlefield today. The tartanalia and pagentry. The flag waving and hero worship.

To me, Wallace is a part of history. Something we should know about. But he belongs firmly in his time. The worry is that people today seemed to think there was some kind of "lesson" in Wallace's life. Other than the effectiveness of guerilla warefare, I struggle to see what it might be.

Sometimes merit is made of the fact that Wallace was a small-time land owner, way down the feudal pecking order. But what was his role? To return to the throne de Bruce, a Norman overlord who backed whichever side he thought would give him and his class the greatest advantage; first Edward, then, when that appears to hold little personal or factional promise, he saw greater advantage in re-establishing a Scottish monarchy. It was yet another episode of bickering feudal elites. Not a struggle in the interests of "the people".

And Wallace saw all that as only natural. That there be the rich man in his castle, the poor man at his gate. Put that right, and all was well with the world.

Interesting to learn about. But hardly any sort of template for the present. The idiot who walked from Glasgow to London is obviously the kind of nationalist who thinks Scotland's future is in its past.

To me, Wallace was just a guy who died 700 years ago.

11. pilchardman

12. Karac

Karac Mae Hen Wlad Fy Mamau

Interesting stuff-seen William Wallaces memorial outside Barts Hospital loads of times.
    The name Wallace is a corruption of "Welsh" so he was actually one of ours. :p
    "Not a struggle in the interests of "the people"."-what do you expect? Che Guevara?
    As you rightly say this was 700 years ago but he fought the good fight against foreign domination.

13. pilchardman

One theory is that it derives from his ancestral home: in Strathclyde, where the ancestor language of Welsh was spoken. His ancestors were therefore P-Celtic Britons.

Much of southern Scotland would have spoken that tongue before the successor waves of migration obliterated it. Indeed, the oldest surviving poem in "Welsh" was written in what we now call Edinburgh.

14. pilchardman

In the 13th century? Clearly not. Which was kind of my point.

15. bertifrew

bertifrew the antirave

Wallace was a man of his time. he done what he felt he had to at the time. he wasnt held up as a hero 'till about 200 years after his death. If you look further back into our history there are other, probably more relevant, heros like Malcolm III and his wife Margaret(st maragaret). Margaret done more for scotland than Wallace, but she never killed any englishmen, so she'll probably never get the recognition he did.
    Still wallace is a pretty major part of our history. If someone wants to remember him, then good on them.

16. Red Faction

Red Faction Allez Les Rouges

the day before the feast of St. Bartholomew
    Sir William Wallace was excecuted (or murdered, which ever you prefer)
    outside St. Bartholomew's hospital in West Smithfield.
    think its a little co-incidence :)