1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Android tablets to be delayed, iPad to dominate the market?

Discussion in 'mobiles and tablets' started by Kid_Eternity, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Kid_Eternity

Kid_Eternity "You might be a lord but here comes the king."

Not especially good news for Google's hopes of repeating its almighty success in the smartphone market against Apple when it comes to tablets:

Not a good start to leave Apple to dominate the market as it has this past year, also not very good for the consumer as choice is restricted on what you can buy if you're in the market for a tablet...

2. editor

editor Like an ultra left hatboy on heat

It'll be the same as the Android phone story: Apple comes up with stunning product and the first wave of responses isn't quite up to the job, but come the second and third wave and it'll be Android taking over again on account of increased choice, increased flexibility and equally products that beat the iPad in some areas.

3. mrs quoad

mrs quoad ¡pǝlqɐsıp ƃuıƃƃɐʇ sɐɥ ;ǝpnɹ ʇou

Speaking as an idiot, with experience that's limited to, basically, one HTC phone, could you explain this to me, ed?

OK, I get the 'increased choice.' More handsets, greater variety of handsets - and, often, handsets at a far, far cheaper price. Is that what's meant by 'increased choice?' Or is there something more?

'Increased flexibility?' OK... Is that related to root access? :hmm: Or other 'flexible' things? One of the things that kinda took me back about the Desire was that I thought 'flexibility' meant that you could reshape / rejig / tweak loads of things, as a user who didn't intend to do too much tinkering with rooting, or anything too deep / technical. What it SEEMED to mean was that I could rearrange some icons, on a fixed 7-main-screen set-up. Some of the icons were 'widgets,' some were BIG icons, some were SMALL icons. But... I guess... that didn't really feel like a particularly flexible interpretation of flexibility, IYSWIM. Or a major deal-breaker.

IME, the app store also contains infinitely more variety re: high-quality / functional apps for pretty much any purpose than google market. And that... I guess... feels like quite an important element of 'flexibility,' to me. (They're also charged in clearly-understandable ways - in UK currency - whereas Google Marketplace, as I discovered several months and £40 of forex bank charges too late, charges my account in foreign currency meaning an additional £1.50ish (IIRC) a pop)

'Equally [good?] products' = specs? OK. I get that :) Yeah, I'd gladly own that my Desire (initially) kicked ass for internet stuff. Web browsing and email, cracking. At the risk of asking a particularly dull question, though, I guess... I've found myself wondering... what those specs are USEFUL for, though. Again, big selling point of the Desire (when I first got it), first 1ghz processor. Which sounded fantastic. I have no f***ing idea what it's used for, though. Is that speed of browsing? Because, tbh, on 3G that seems to be most heavily circumscribed by the speed of connection. Is it for apps? Because... tbh... I'm not sure I've seen any apps that touch on using a 1gig processor, or - at least - none that LOOK like they're using a 1 gig processor. When compared to what can comfortably run on a 666mhz Apple processor, at least.

So, without PARTICULARLY trying to be awkward (though I appreciate that's how it might come across) - I've seen those arguments before, what do they actually mean? What am I missing? No doubt, lots :D But I'd be curious to see what it is, in slightly more detail.

ty!

4. grit

grit an ugly force for good

Which was the same as the personal computer story, round and round we go :)

5. ymu

ymu Niall Ferguson's deep-cover sock-puppet

I've just bought an Android tablet and e-book reader combined. Bit of an impulse purchase, but it's so purdy ...

[​IMG]

Should arrive this week. :cool:

6. editor

Seeing as you asked: Apple offers one device with one screen size and one CPU, with total control of what you can and cannot install on the device. Android devices let you choose from a wide variety of tablets at a wide range of prices, offering different sorts of functionality and features. You get different sized screens, and devices more geared for certain tasks (e.g. HTC Flyer). You get to install apps from a far wider range of sources and they don't have to be personally approved by the censorial hand of the owner. You get devices with USB ports if you want them, SD card slots if you want them, and the same goes for HDMI ports, SD card slots etc. You can change everything about the interface including the keyboard and of course, you get full Flash support.

I'm not saying that this makes the current crop of Android tablets better than the iPad, but the platform certainly offers a more flexible alternative.

7. Kid_Eternity

Kid_Eternity "You might be a lord but here comes the king."

Lament for the Courier that never was...

8. editor