1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Android OS: list your killer apps

Discussion in 'mobiles and tablets' started by editor, May 18, 2009.

1. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp

A new level of laziness :D

2. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 inbox me hun x

:D

Basically I want something that's like tweetdeck on the PC/Mac. SO I can just sit and look at it as it updates in real time. I don't want to keep touching the screen just to force it to update.

3. Chz

Chz Stark Raving Sane

PURE Messenger widget is a decent attempt to recreate Sense's "Friendstream" that will continually update Twitter, Facebook, texts, email, etc...

4. editor

editor Got a fever +the only prescription is more cowbell

Most let you set the time periods in which they update.

5. skyscraper101

Do any do this in real time though?

6. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

What do you mean by real-time?

7. skyscraper101

Like, I can just fire up the app and watch as tweets come in live, without having to interact with the screen.

8. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp

I am looking for an app that will read them out for you too :)

Maggot and stuff_it like this.
  9. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

You can set whatever you have to update every minute (some more some less) - if you want no battery after a few hours that is.

10. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

Yeah watch out for continual updates, When I used twitterfall whilst Nick Griffin was on Question time the graphics chipset of my laptop broke under the strain!

11. skyscraper101

I don't want every minute, twitter moves faster than that. I want actual on-the-fly updating, like tweetdeck on the pc. Is there really no app that works like that? (tweetdeck on android is awful and doesn't do it btw).

12. grit

grit an ugly force for good

13. mango5

mango5 pillow of the community

Does anyone find Task managers useful? This article raves about Tasker but I'm not sure I'd have the patience to use it to full potential. I do like the idea of turning wifi off when I leave the house, or only enabling GPS when needed.

Plus, is a task killer a waste of time?

I'm enjoying Letrix partly because it has a British English as well as American English version.

14. editor

editor Got a fever +the only prescription is more cowbell

The Met Office weather app is pretty good and I'm liking the official Google Analytics app too.

Never use task managers. Don't need to on Android 4.0 anyway.

wtfftw likes this.
  15. sleaterkinney

sleaterkinney Well-Known Member

Is there any app that can sit on my phone for a day and tell me what uses the battery the most?

16. magneze

magneze mnemonic beef

I thought those stats were in the standard system information. Bet it's the display.

17. dfm

dfm help I'm alive

Feedly for Android refuses to work my on my SG2. What else is good for making my subscribed blogs look good?

18. sleaterkinney

Whereabouts?. I've left it with just a simple background but it can barely get through the day.

19. magneze

magneze mnemonic beef

System settings, battery for me.

20. hiccup

hiccup King of the Vagabonds

Settings - About phone - Battery on mine

21. Corax

Corax This will change your life: http://bit.ly/19lPFRa

It'll be the display. Stick a widget on your main home screen that toggles brightness, wi-fi, bluetooth, sync & GPS, and turn shit off when you don't need it.

Also, choose a dark wallpaper, and choose dark themes on things like Reddit.

22. stuff_it

stuff_it Nerd burglar

You can get away with turning the screen right down on most phones as well.

23. sleaterkinney

Thanks. It seems that most of the battery goes on Cell standby, I get poor reception at work.

24. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp

I wanted a pedometer app. Downloaded 'Walkdroid' which was free but any recommendations?

25. Maggot

Maggot Grubs up!

Runkeeper is free and can record walks, runs, bike rides etc. I use it a lot - it shows you where you've been on a map, records your speed, elevation, calories used etc.

26. Maggot

Maggot Grubs up!

[​IMG]

Riklet, fogbat and Badgers like this.
  27. tangerinedream

tangerinedream Density of Sound

I used endomondo free for the same. Does the above but not elevation. Is it a pedometer that registers physical movement you want though?

28. gentlegreen

gentlegreen ¡Nadie espera a la babosa española!

I use Runkeeper - though probably could use endomondo - which I've tried once .. there are simply too many of these apps to evaluate - some of them let you insert photos ..in any case I usually just export it to Google earth - though it's handy to see what speed I was doing at various points.

I find it slightly amusing that it will email me to tell me I've achieved some sort of PB when I'm only logging the odd ride - mostly for mapping purposes. .. I believe some of these apps will let others follow your progress minute by minute and tweet encouragement - assuming you have a cheap data tariff to use up ...

29. Artaxerxes

Artaxerxes Well-Known Member

Wow, been a while since this thread got updated.

Just got ScummVm working and playing Beneath a Steel Sky, this is why I have a tablet, bit of retro gaming fun and better than Angry Birds XVI

30. skyscraper101

Is there really no twitter client which can update the stream automatically every second?