1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Android OS: list your killer apps

Discussion in 'mobiles and tablets' started by editor, May 18, 2009.

1. sumimasen

sumimasen Celebrity-endorsed

I too have deleted chomp and gone for handcent. It is very cool that's for sure. Regarding the character count, it does start a countdown when you are ten letters away from overlapping into a 2nd message.
  2. cliche guevara

cliche guevara Well-Known Member

It does? I've not noticed that. Where is it displayed?
  3. sumimasen

In the actual window you're writing in. You'll notice that as you approach 4 lines of text the countdown appears.
  4. cliche guevara

cliche guevara Well-Known Member

Sorted. I have become somewhat addicted to Torect, although idioteque is much better at it than I am :mad:
  5. tendo

tendo hobo hair

Taskiller - does what it says. I'm still surprised at what keeps running after I've closed it but this just displays a list and one touch closes them.

Does anyone have a copy if the Grail app? It's disappeared from the market and Google code for some reason.
  6. editor

editor Like an ultra left hatboy on heat

Google Voice is way better than I thought and handy for quick searches - just bark them into the phone instead of piddling about with the keyboard.
  7. tendo

tendo hobo hair

Useful switchers is really good, it's a toggle settings kind of thing, there's a donated version and a free version but I'm not sure if there's any difference between the two. I like it best out of the toggle apps as the interface is pretty good and simple to use and it does what it's supposed to.

Quick Uninstall is great, just displays a list of all your apps and one touch deletes whatever you choose.
  8. Macabre

Macabre digiratti

Ive just downloaded Hyperspace Lite. Great ball rolling game, 5 levels are free before you pay. Also, Armadillo Roll is a demo game which shows the graphics potential but as a game it needs a lot of work.

I also removed LastFM and I'm trying Imeem music stream. Anyone found what they think is the best music streamer?
  9. editor

Androidguys are running a comp for best app. Here's their nominations:
    http://androidguys.com/?p=6205
  10. Macabre

Macabre digiratti

Has anyone downloaded DataViz's Documents To Go? Its an app for MS Word and Excel. But at $20 I'm thinking they can fuck off as GDocs is doing me fine for a word processor so far, just wondering if its worth it.
  11. GoneCoastal

GoneCoastal Anything for WelshCakes R.I.P.

Did a quick search through this thread and didn't find a reference to Shuffle (a GTD App) - Loaded up Shuffle with a load of work stuff today & was impressed

(As I now have a G2 which I'm very pleased with since Saturday)

e2a: removed my reference to Astrid as it was further up but in a quote
  12. dweller

dweller muthafuckin snakes

mmm shuffle looks good,
    I'm gonna give it a shot
    http://code.google.com/p/android-shuffle/wiki/ScreenShots
  13. editor

Here's the winners of the Android Guys 'best Android app' vote:
    The Layar virtual augmented reality browser has just been released:
    http://layar.com/

Not sure exactly what it does....
  14. bmd

bmd I'm happy just to be with you

I always love the idea of these kinds of apps but never actually bother using them because they're such a faff.

"...ok, open app, point it at the...no, it's not working there...point it at...ooh there was something flashed up then, what's that little icon there for...nope it's gone."
  15. dweller

This layar app identifies Twitter users in the area,
    so you can go Nathan Barley hunting ;)
  16. bmd

Isn't that what BrightKite does?
  17. editor

Almost all the really clever augmented reality apps on platforms like Android and iPhone are severely restricted in their real-world usability because of the impact on the battery life.

Has anyone downloaded this layar thing yet? Buggered if I can find it.
  18. editor

This looks a good 'un from Google:

[​IMG]

Downloading now!

http://listen.googlelabs.com/
  19. dweller

I found this app pretty useless.
    I couldn't find a podcast. You can't browse, you can only search.
    You can't manually add a rss podcast feed.
    Also podcasts you find are titled with the current episode detail rather
    than an overall title of the feed so you don't quite know what you're getting.
    IMO this app needs a lot of work...
  20. sumimasen

It's a good app nonetheless. eg I typed in football and it came up with lots of BBC podcasts plus the Guardian Football Weekly one. Handier than downloading them, you can stream at any point.

Speaking of football, what's the best app people have for the beautiful game. So far I've managed to find Fotmob.
  21. editor

22. marty21

marty21 my gran was in the war with bombs and shit

it does use juice up well quick, I got 2, maybe 3 days out of my old Nokia 6500, admittedly the only thing that used use on that was the golf game (which I miss, the golf games on this one are a bit rubbish) on the magic, If I use it averagely, it makes it through 24 hours if I'm lucky
  23. marty21

24. editor

Read the link! It's the one that comes with the new HTC but you can now slap on your G1 for nowt.
  25. marty21

reading the link is good advice :oops:
  26. bmd

27. Kid_Eternity

Kid_Eternity "You might be a lord but here comes the king."

Official Facebook app coming next week apparently...be interesting to see how it measures up to the excellent iPhone FB 3.0 app....
  28. idioteque

idioteque mustard tiger

I have heard of an app which auto syncs all of your Facebook contacts with your contacts, but don't know the name of it... Can anyone help?
  29. Private Storm

Private Storm Smell The Glove

Facebook Sync?
  30. subversplat

subversplat writer of wrongs

ShopSavvy told me that my packet of Royals cigarettes was a Dunlop Half Length Welly :confused: :D