1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Android OS: list your killer apps

Discussion in 'mobiles and tablets' started by editor, May 18, 2009.

1. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

How big are we talking here? Until I downloaded the "London City" app I'd got a large tube map saved for when I was working in london and it worked fine, plenty clear enough for me to read station names and work out routes etc.
  2. editor

editor Like an ultra left hatboy on heat

Do you want me to mail you the file? PM me your email addy and you can have a go.
  3. beesonthewhatnow

I've just tried it with a 1.5meg tube map, and it seems fine, maybe a slight softening aound the edges of text at max zoom, but still perfectly readable.

I'l have a play with some larger image files when I've got a moment later... :)
  4. bmd

bmd and you will see me

Cyrket - Android app market via PC or Mac or whatever.
  5. bmd

bmd and you will see me

I tried TideApp but it seems broken atm, would really like something that showed tide tables if anyone knows of a good UK one.
  6. dweller

dweller muthafuckin snakes

acontacts is a nice clean contacts app if phonebook wasn't your bag.
    good for setting up group texting and t9 searching of contacts
  7. cliche guevara

cliche guevara Well-Known Member

Also, if you download the barcode scanner, you can use it to scan any app you come across. Saves having to find it again on your phone.
  8. editor

The Telegraph news app is *excellent* - really slick, and there's even video stories in there.
  9. beesonthewhatnow

Just a shame it's the fucking Telegraph really :D
  10. dweller

two apps I used today

BuddyRunner is a great app for recording
    your runs. it uses gps and while you're running a voice tells you when you hit half a mile and how fast you are running,
    when you end your run it sends your info to a webpage with a map of your run, speed and elevation.
    It is way cool!!!

don't want to carry books with you on your run?
    settle down and switch on textonphone
    brilliant ebook reader, I found a great book to read today by browsing through "today's reads" and you don't need to download the whole lot,
    just read it a page at a time online - it saves your place - perfect
  11. editor

iTweet is a fabulously slick Twiter client, well worth the £1.60.
  12. Macabre

Macabre digiratti

Flood-it is an excellent puzzle game that keeps me entertained on the chube.
  13. sumimasen

sumimasen Celebrity-endorsed

Blatant rip-off of Coloroid, but to be fair it's a more attractive improvement for sure.

Other cool games are
    Labyrinth - use the tilt to get a metal ball from A to B.
    Light Racer - kinda like Snake, but with motorbikes!
    Chess for Android - challenging enough
    Papijump - addictive fucker
  14. sumimasen

sumimasen Celebrity-endorsed

ConvertAll is a useful app from miles to kilometres, pounds to ounces etc. Categories include volume, time, kitchen, mass, energy amongst others so pretty comprehansive.

Needs hard keyboard so doesn't work with HTC Magic, I believe.
  15. cliche guevara

Better Keyboard is great. I was sceptical about paying $2.99 for a slightly different keyboard at first, but it's worth it imo. Added functionality of being able to swipe left/right to get to the alt/number keys is great, and a quick swipe down puts it away. A long press on any key gives you the alternative characters, and these are actually written on the keys for ease of use. Customizable skins make it easy to fit in with your theme, although I find the Android one to be the most pleasant looking. The only thing it is missing is an upward swipe to capitalise, but i'll be feeding back my thoughts to the developer on this.
  16. cliche guevara

It works fine with the Magic.
  17. editor

OK. I'll give it a go!
  18. cliche guevara

Worth bearing in mind with paid apps that you can always get a refund within 24 hours if you don't like them, so there's no reason to be scared of trying them out.
  19. Ozric

Ozric mostly learning guitar...

Is Better eyboard as laggy as the reviews say?
  20. editor

So far not, but I've only had a quick play.
  21. cliche guevara

I've had no lag with it at all. The standard keyboard had more lag.
  22. Fez909

Fez909 um...

Anyone using the last.fm app? Is it any good?

Getting a G1 when my contract is up, but have been putting off getting an mp3 player in case last.fm android makes it redundant!
  23. editor

Google Maps has just been updated:

24. Stig

Stig Bull in a china shop

I'm so glad I saw that, because directly underneath it is an app to sync the updated goole maps with the 'my maps' feature, which I've been wanting fopr ages!
    I've made quite a few google maps, including a london pubs map, and been wanting to be able to use them on the phone without the clunky horrors of going through the browser.

So thanks loads for that tip!
  25. editor

The public transport directions are comically bad for London. They haven't got access to LT data so every suggestion involves weird buses, long walks and coaches to Victoria!
  26. cliche guevara

I've ditched Chomp SMS for Handcent. Better, more customizable layout, awesome text notification pop ups, quick reply from the pop up. It's great. And free!
  27. Macabre

Macabre digiratti

Anyone got a good, free app for recording phone calls? All the recording apps just record your own voice and not the callers.
  28. dweller

I haven't come across anything - you have to put the phone on speakerphone to pick up their voice.
  29. editor

Based entirely on your say-so I deleted Chomp and downloaded this one. I'm impressed but it doesn't seem to display the character count when you're typing a message.
  30. cliche guevara

That's been frustrating me too actually. Its a shame because everything else in the app is great. I'm gonna feed it back to the developers, you should too.