1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Android OS: list your killer apps

Discussion in 'mobiles and tablets' started by editor, May 18, 2009.

1. cliche guevara

cliche guevara Well-Known Member

You mentioned this to me on the other thread, and I've never been able to find it. Shame, as it sounds like a fantastic app and one that I'd use all the time. Is there an email address for the developer? If so could you PM it to me? I'll get in contact.

2. Ozric

Ozric mostly learning guitar...

I like Shazam, very clever!

3. sumimasen

sumimasen Celebrity-endorsed

I found Phonebook incredibly buggy and unuseable. Uninstalled after a day.

It's curious how some apps work for some people and not for others. This is reflected in the apps' comment section in the market. One app can have 5 stars with comments like 'Wow!', 'Perfect, can't live without it!' and the comment below will have one star along with 'Terrible, keeps freezing, never works, forces closes'.

All the G1s are the bloody same aren't they, what's with this!

4. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

I've emailed the developer before with a query and never got a response...

5. cliche guevara

Ah well, that's a shame. I'm sure something else will crop up sooner or later, there's a real gap in the market for this at the minute.

I've been looking for an F1 app for latest buzz, track and driver data etc, does such a thing exist yet?

6. beesonthewhatnow

Train info:

I've found a rather nice app :cool:

It's not on the market though, so do the following:

- In your application settings, make sure you set it so you can install non market applications

- point your phones browser to http://android-grail.googlecode.com/files/GRail.apk

- Launch the file that downloads

The first time the program runs it has to download details of every UK station, which takes a while, I'd advise you make sure you're on a wifi connection...

7. editor

editor Got a fever +the only prescription is more cowbell

Downloading now! :)

8. cliche guevara

Excellent application, thanks bees! Can't figure out how to bookmark stations though, perhaps it's missing from this release.

9. beesonthewhatnow

Type the first few letters of the station until you see it in the list, then press and hold on it...

10. cliche guevara

:cool::D

11. sumimasen

sumimasen Celebrity-endorsed

Anyone else unable to use the fbook chat feature? Has never worked for me.

12. cliche guevara

Me neither.

13. Stig

Stig Bull in a china shop

I love G Rail, cheers bees!

Some of the others I had to get rid of though, the phonebook one is massive compared to the preinstalled dialer and contacts apps, and not better *enough* to be worth the extra bulk IMO.

All of the weather ones were a bit disappointing, as they were usa-centric and slow and I found it easier to just put Metcheck into browser bookmarks and use that.

things I like are:
    Meteorlite (game)
    Alkaline (game)
    Labyrinth Lite (game)
    Notebook (preinstalled? can't even remember)
    Advanced Task manager Lite (see what's running and end them)
    Quickpedia, Wikitude, and all that sort of thing
    phonalyzr (graphs and stats on phone usage from any chosen date)

and a lot are already posted.

14. beesonthewhatnow

Did you try Weatherbug? It's nice and speedy on my phone, and picks up (accurate so far) forecasts based on wherever I am at the time without any other input from me...

15. Stig

I think that one gave my location's forecast, but in farenheit? Couldn't find out how to change it, but I was being little miss impatient on the day, so could have been that...

16. cliche guevara

Yeah I agree that Weatherbug is the best weather app so far.

I downloaded an awesome game the other day, Buka, a mad little cutesy game that is very good, and well worth the £1.50.

A decent facebook application is on the way! And not just a wraparound. http://fbandroid.wordpress.com/

17. beesonthewhatnow

You need to set it to "metric" under the "preferences" menu :)

18. editor

The Facebook client on my Palm was better than the Android one as there seems to be no way to take a picture and have it sent straight on to the site with a comment.

19. editor

The default photo gallery app is unbelievably shit on Android. On my Palm I used to add maps as JPGs and GIFs but not only can the built-in app not read GIF files, it reduces big JPG files into a blurry mess. Really disappointing.

Oh, and the gallery has now started showing every single JPG file on my system. Rubbish!

20. Stig

Ah, yes, I can see how that might work :hmm:

I'll give that one another go then. :D

Anyone got an app that moves apps from the phone to the SD card? There are some huuuuuge games out there...
    Or is there a way of downloading them onto SD card from a PC without then having to install them on phone memory?

21. editor

Can't be done, I'm afraid.

22. subversplat

subversplat writer of wrongs

23. beesonthewhatnow

There is an app that puts an "upload to facebook" option onto the "share" menu, but I'll be fucked if I can remember what it's called...

24. beesonthewhatnow

Yet, I read somewhere it's being worked on for a future update.

25. beesonthewhatnow

I dunno what you've done to your gallery then, coz mine does nothing like this!

JPEGS show nice and clear, and I see pics in whatever folder they happen to be in (camera pics, saved MMS, plus various other folders I've made)

26. editor

Try importing a large JPG file and see what it does to it when you zoom in - you'll find it's been resized. It's really shit. Even my ancient Treo 650 could read large files without faffing around with them.

27. beesonthewhatnow

Nope, works fine.

How odd...

28. dweller

dweller muthafuckin snakes

Ok this hasn't come out yet,
    but it looks like a potential "killer app"

Spotify for android,

unfortunately if it is only available for £9.99 per month subscribers
    it'll sink like a lead balloon.

29. bmd

bmd this can be reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally long now

Astro - free file manager, can be used to save stuff to SD card.

30. editor

Try importing something like a 2MB file of a tube map - something with small text and lots of details - and you'll see it blurs it. Other people have reported the same problem. It can't open big GIF files either, which is a bit rubbish.