1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Android now accounts for more than two-thirds of all smartphones shipped

Discussion in 'mobiles and tablets' started by editor, Aug 8, 2012.

1. editor

editor Like an ultra left hatboy on heat

New figures for the last quarter show Android bagging an almighty 68% share of all smartphones shipped in Q2 2012.

Apple came in at a far distant second with just 17% share of the global market, while beleaguered BlackBerry and fast fading Symbian could only muster 4.8% and 4.4%, respectively.

Things will obviously change with the release of the new iPhone, but Android's lead now looks insurmountable for the foreseeable future.

As for Blackberry. Bless. (((RIM)))

More: http://www.wirefresh.com/android-wipes-out-ios-with-an-immense-market-share-in-q2-2012/
    moochedit, firky and stuff_it like this.
  2. stuff_it

stuff_it Nerd burglar

w00t!!!11!!1!

\o/
  3. Kanda

Kanda Nosh Wagon

Well done!
  4. editor

Android handset makers still aren't making any where near as much lovely, lovely moolah as Apple though.

I think some people might get iStiffies each time Apple's growing profits and vast stockpiles of cash are announced.
  5. Kanda

Kanda Nosh Wagon

Well, they're fucking idiots. Stiffies are for crumpet, not for poxy gadgets.
  6. editor

You should see how many blogs and tech sites describes gadgets, iPhones and other devices as 'sexy'.

:facepalm:
  7. Kanda

Kanda Nosh Wagon

iPhone is a gadget isn't it?
  8. editor

No idea where you're going with this one.
  9. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet ammonia snooker balls

It's not really all that surprising. If you were making a phone nowadays, would you (a) spend loads of cash developing your own OS for it or (b) use Android?
  10. Kanda

Kanda Nosh Wagon

Just curious how you separated 'gadgets', 'iPhones', 'other devices'...

Galaxy 3 is a gadget or other device? Why does iPhone have it's own kinda category there?
  11. maldwyn

maldwyn What?

Again, another half-arsed way of presenting data - not too many iPhones sold in the last quarter, why would that be? :D
  12. souljacker

souljacker Eggs Bread Cigs Milk

Because they are shit! :D

Wheres Windows in all this?
  13. maldwyn

maldwyn What?

TBH, I'm surprised the Android % isn't higher :D
  14. TitanSound

TitanSound Mr Beardy Drummer

15. mrs quoad

mrs quoad ¡pǝlqɐsıp ƃuıƃƃɐʇ sɐɥ ;ǝpnɹ ʇou

Cross-thread off-topic sideswipe in two posts flat :D

Nicely done :D
  16. mrs quoad

If I had to lay any kind of bets, I'd bet that, whatever the market looks like in 2016, it won't look particularly like that.

Gotta love the wa that pretty much every projection from mid-2013 on is basically a flat / near-flat line, in stark contrast with pretty much everything that precedes it.

"Looking at the market's consistent volatility, we predict stability from hereon in...."
    Jon-of-arc likes this.
  17. kabbes

kabbes kah-bus

Why is "Android" compared with "Apple"? Shouldn't it be the individual manufacturers each compared with each other? It seems a bit odd to break it down by OS -- what does Motorola care if it is Samsung or Apple that is beating it in market share?
  18. maldwyn

maldwyn What?

And with the introduction of cheaper 'smart phones' the market must've expanded massively, I think my new fridge came installed with jellybean.
  19. mrs quoad

Think someone was posting recently that Samsung is pretty much the only manufacturer turning a profit, with htc just about breaking even. Which might also play out in quite interesting ways wrt the future of manufacturers AND oses.
  20. GarfieldLeChat

GarfieldLeChat fucking awesome but wrong

which version of andriod because android is so fragmented as an os now that it means nothing to say android has the market lead...

most handset manuifactures haven't upgraded to ICS and this isn't even the latest version any more...

which is causing significant developer fragmentation too... which is what's really important...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/03/20/android_interest_slipping/
  21. editor

Because "Windows" is often compared with "Mac OS." They're competing systems, just like the mobile ones, so I'm not sure why you find it so unusual to compare their market shares.
  22. editor

That's from March. Here's a more recent article showing that developers clearly aren't being put off ( although fragmentation remains an issue, it's often overstated)
  23. editor

Nikon are rumoured to be releasing a new camera powered by Android. And that could be the start of something very big indeed.
  24. kabbes

kabbes kah-bus

I find that very interesting. I'm thinking about getting a tablet in the next few months. I was planning on an Asus Transformer Prime, which is obviously Android, but reading that article, I'm thinking that an iPad 3 may be the safer bet.
  25. kabbes

kabbes kah-bus

Data is meaningless without a purpose, of course. It all depends on what you are interested in. If people are interested in Android vs. iOS then that data is great. If they are interested in how well individual manufacturers are doing, it is not the right data!
  26. editor

Because 'sexy' is the word that regularly gets applied to Apple products more than others. Even you described an iPhone as being sexy.

:facepalm:
  27. Kanda

Kanda Nosh Wagon

28. editor

That is what the thread is about.
    Samsung are outselling Apple and all the other Android manufacturers. Read the link.
  29. editor

Just learning from you on that score.
    [Talking about a Mac]
    Consider yourself well pwned sunshine. :D
  30. kabbes

kabbes kah-bus

I'm not surprised. Even I bought a Samsung Galaxy, and my last phone purchase before that was a Nokia 3310 in about 2001.