1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amazon Kindle Fire Tablet: $199

Discussion in 'mobiles and tablets' started by lobster, Sep 2, 2011.

1. editor

editor Like an ultra left hatboy on heat

Yes, a SD card would have really added to the possibilities, but I guess Amazon want you locked into their cloud services. That said, it's still a very compelling package for the price.
  2. Kanda

Kanda Nosh Wagon

I'm quite surprised that people aren't getting on their high horses about being locked into Amazon's cloud services.

If this were certain other manufacturers, there would be uproar.
  3. kropotkin

kropotkin libcom

But the cloud doesn't come with it, you have to pay a yearly subscription to get that or rebut all your content from them. Otherwise it is just an 8gb unexpandable tablet
  4. editor

Which may be fine for a lot of people's needs seeing as the Internet has tons of free content.

It's only the equivalent of £128 in the States, ffs. If you want all the bells and whistles and acres of storage, then spend more.
  5. editor

You're not locked into anything and unlike a certain manufacturer, they won't try and bork your device if you fiddle about with the OS.
  6. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

Apple do not try and break your device if you jailbreak. They do try to plug the holes that make jail breaking possible, the usual cat & mouse game.

They filed a patent some years ago for detection of things such as SIM removal, jail breaking, etc, as part of a system that would detect events such as unauthorised use of a device. This caused a storm of speculative internet articles which often stated that apple were going to brick jailbroken devices, but they have not actually done so, and there are plenty of people who question whether Apple would take things that far, for regardless of what you may think this would be a step beyond their normal control-freakery. A more likely possibility is that they would block access to certain Apple services from jailbroken devices.
  7. editor

Which Amazon have specifically stated that they will not do.

Freedom to do what you like with the item you've bought. Who would have thought of such a thing!
  8. ChrisFilter

ChrisFilter Like a boss.

Amazon are doing plenty of relatively walled-garden things with the Fire that you'd be slating Apple for. Is it simply because Apple charge so much more for their walled-garden? I could understand that.
  9. editor

I'm not the biggest fan of Amazon but there is a huge difference between the two offerings here. The Fire is cheap enough to make it a real tool for hackers and geeks to play around with, so there's going to be some fun stuff happening - and I like the fact that the company have already stated that they won't be trying to block them at every turn.
  10. Kid_Eternity

Kid_Eternity "You might be a lord but here comes the king."

Well if this was a certain other company there'd be outrage for sure but Amazon is a corporation people feel permitted to trust.
  11. Bob_the_lost

Bob_the_lost Elsewhere

Like fuck. Amazon have been proven to be untrustworthy bastards and have a track record for shit DRM. They aren't on the side of the angels.

On the other hand they're a lot more simple, transparent if you will than Apple. They aren't the rebels and have never claimed to be. That does mean that when they are cunts i don't feel as betrayed.
    editor likes this.
  12. Kid_Eternity

I've never felt betrayed by any corporation tbh...they all act as they are legally required to: maximize profits for their shareholders.
  13. Bob_the_lost

Bob_the_lost Elsewhere

Fine, their marketing isn't hypocrital bollocks. Happier now when I say that you're boring when every other post you make is moaning about how apple are hard done by?
    editor likes this.
  14. Kid_Eternity

I've never once said Apple are hard done, I've argued consistently that they should just be treated the same as any other corporation. I'm totally honest about my strident views on corporate control and profit seeking!

E2a: applying moral agency to marketing decisions is idiotic, [commercial] marketing doesn't exist for moral reasons, it exists to help you empty your wallet.;)
  15. Kanda

Kanda Nosh Wagon

Doesn't have a camera

Doesn't have a card slot

Tied in

I remember those arguments....

Fucking hilarious....
    Kid_Eternity likes this.
  16. pinkmonkey

pinkmonkey 2.4 hour party person

I'm not mad on either company TBH. Amazon have been absolute cunts to people I know who supplied them (shoe trade people) to the point that a couple of companies have gone bust. Funnily enough someone who I loathe - an ex boss of mine who a colleague successfully sued for constructive dismissal, a right sexist pig is now head of that buying team at Amazon.
  17. Kid_Eternity

Yep...
  18. Kanda

Kanda Nosh Wagon

Oh.. the camera is shit

Doesn't have a front facing camera (cos EVERYONE uses video conf)

But it's cheap and you can hack it (just like you can an iPad)

But it's not Apple so it's fine...

Yeah, great chat... :)
  19. Kid_Eternity

Yeah...but not much you can do really, you raise this shit and suddenly you're as bad as the object in discussion...anyway, shiny new iPhone4S/ 5 thread for those who want to discuss it without the baggage of the old threads is now live on this forum...
  20. editor

(((Apple)))

PS Check out the title of the thread. It's about the new Amazon tablet, not irrelevant, two year old arguments about your favourite tech company.

x
  21. mrs quoad

mrs quoad ¡pǝlqɐsıp ƃuıƃƃɐʇ sɐɥ ;ǝpnɹ ʇou

Two-year-old arguments have passed their sell-by date, and can now be repackaged as environmentally friendly recyclo-arguments which all decent and right-thinking people can heartily agree with :thumbs:
  22. editor

23. mrs quoad

mrs quoad ¡pǝlqɐsıp ƃuıƃƃɐʇ sɐɥ ;ǝpnɹ ʇou

:D

Fantastic, ay.
  24. grit

grit an ugly force for good

So 200 dollars, what are the guesses for the uk prices?
  25. Kid_Eternity

£199?
  26. Kanda

Kanda Nosh Wagon

VMware are probably my favourite tech company. I don't give a shit about Apple and their bonkers ways, just laughing at how shit turns out on here. ;)
  27. mwgdrwg

mwgdrwg Bathing in the golden gloop

Can you stream media from your home network without having to hack it?
  28. mack

mack Fact Me Till I Fart

/Obi wan/ this is not the tablet you're looking for..

Think I'll have to pass on this one, it's designed and built for your average punter, your mum, your granddad.. nothing too complicated, it just works, plenty of content etc. etc.

It will be most likely easily hackable but with only 8 gig on board storage you'll soon fill that up and then the device just becomes a pain in the arse.

I think google should release their own branded tablet (tied in with all their services) make it hackable, plenty of storage and under £250.
  29. Kid_Eternity

A friend mentioned liking the look of this saying 'we all want an ipad but who can afford one?'. Think that's the market Amazon is going to eat up, this isn't a threat to the iPad its a strong contender for the number 2 spot and all other tablet makers (whether using android or not) should be very worried indeed. If they can barely sell a 100k without this in the market there's no way they're going to shift a 10th of that when the A Fire arrives!
  30. ChrisFilter

ChrisFilter Like a boss.

I think it is a threat to the iPad. I reckon within 2 years there'll be more of these sold than iPads. The iPad is just too big and too expensive to appeal to as wide a section of the market as the Fire. My Mum or Dad would never get an iPad, but they did get a Kindle and they did get iPods and they would get this.