1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Air France pilot asks passengers to pay a $17000 fuel bill

Discussion in 'transport' started by HAL9000, Aug 17, 2012.

1. HAL9000

HAL9000 Lasting Damage

2. equationgirl

equationgirl red Clydeside

Yes they were asked, but no money was collected as Air France resolved the issue in the end.

3. Quartz

Quartz Eclectic contrarian plebeian

And Air France has responded to its passengers' readiness by ... not even acknowledging it. :facepalm:

4. bi0boy

bi0boy .

Sounds reasonable to me, this happens sometimes. People forget that international flying isn't like a trip to the local shops by bus, but a journey through strange and foreign lands.

gosub likes this.
  5. 5t3IIa

5t3IIa Registered User

I've only read half of that story and there's 3 different reasons given; uncertain financial sit in Syria means AF couldn't use their credit card (the usual way of things), the ground staff refused fuel (presumably as it couldn't be paid for) and a passenger saying that they account was cancelled since AF stopped using Damascus. Aaaaaand then the last bit is AF saying it was the first reason :rolleyes: Stupid story.

6. 5t3IIa

5t3IIa Registered User

It's mentioned twice in the AF statement.

7. Quartz

Yes, but no mention of thanks or anything. After all, they might have had to leave their multi-million pound jet there.

8. paolo

paolo Well-Known Member

Can a mod add, to the thread title: ''but nothing of any significance actually happened"

Tnhx

beesonthewhatnow likes this.
  9. bi0boy

bi0boy .

Also: "and his ungrateful and contemptuous crew refused to tender any sort of thanks"

10. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Bound for glory

Other people forget that if you don't like, or aren't capable of dealing with, journeys through strange and foreign lands your best bet is not to be running an airline.

Greebo likes this.
  11. bi0boy

bi0boy .

You seem to think airlines are powerful enough to simply bypass any of the exigencies of national sovereignty. They will always be subservient to the countries they fly through.

12. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Bound for glory

Then they should ensure that they are in a position to deal with them.

13. paolo

paolo Well-Known Member

14. 5t3IIa

5t3IIa Registered User

They're French, remember?

Greebo and Quartz like this.
  15. Quartz

Touché. :)

5t3IIa likes this.
  16. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx purves grundy - definitely a bloke

Yep, if anyone hasn't seen Airplanski, it's worth a watch :cool:

17. Greebo

Greebo Still hooked, not unravelling.

Bof

equationgirl likes this.
  18. stuff_it

stuff_it Nerd burglar

So how did they resolve it - did AF have to western union the money? :confused:

19. slowjoe

slowjoe Well-Known Member

That a passenger aircraft belonging to one of the world's largest airlines and scheduled to land in a safe country ended up in a country to which most foreign ministries presumably advise against travel - and that the crew then thought they would need to borrow cash from passengers in order to get out of there - seems at least noteworthy to me. I mean, if I'd been onboard, I'd probably mention it to my friends, at least after I'd lamented that the quality of the food fell somewhat short of the reputation of the country whose flag the airline carries.

I don't know about these things, but is it normal for a plane to be that short of fuel after a three hour flight?

Meltingpot likes this.
  20. youngian

youngian Well-Known Member

Trigger's cousin once found himself in a similar postion-