1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ableton or Tractor?

Discussion in 'music making & live music' started by moody, Nov 26, 2010.

1. moody

moody Wooden Ladders - Talk To Me!

what would you choose just for mixing, had ableton before and was quite straight forward and easy to use plus if I ever wanted to get into production it's there already.

I like the idea of using decks as controllers with tractor but is it all it's cracked up to be?

2. kage

kage half past pasty

They're difficult to compare as they're generally used for different purposes. Traktor focuses more on live performance, it's far more dynamic as sets require little to no preparation. Ableton's more of a production/live remixing tool in my opinion.

So, just for mixing, Traktor hands down everytime, there's also the performance aspect to consider, unless you're doing crazy looping, effects heavy multichannel stuff, you won't have a great deal to do.

3. electroplated

electroplated off minehead

I have ableton live and traktor scratch pro and find myself asking this question.

After mixing with just vinyl for over 10 years and playing out using ableton for the last 3 years or so, I'm at the stage now where I feel like switching over to traktor for dj sets and leaving ableton for studio or live performance work as I find ableton to be a bit overkill for djing and leaves me with too much time on my hands, wanting to piss about with effects and mashups rather than just playing a solid set of good tunes mixed A>B stylee.

So for just mixing, I'd say traktor, maybe look at the X1 or S4 controllers too

4. miniGMgoit

miniGMgoit OverWeightUnderAchiever

How about vinyl and decks you big ol' cheapskate?

5. flash

flash I am simply not there....

This. It's one of the reasons why Mr Tong and a host of others have dropped Ableton (as it's more of a production tool, but even that is now coming under fire from the likes of Pro Tools). Is it true that there is an auto-sync feature in the latest version of Traktor (or have I got the wrong end of the stick?). It seems to be a straight war now between Serato & Traktor (NI). Traktor have a host of big hitting DJ's that are now getting involved with it (check the DJ Craze video online, and if you like your Serato check video's from the like's of A-Trak).

6. moody

moody Wooden Ladders - Talk To Me!

Just bought my 3rd pair of 1210s yesterday.

As I play both early dance (75-85) and upto date house/techno, I tend to buy all the early stuff on vinyl as it's not common on digital and vice versa with the more modern stuff.

Nothing beats playing vinyl but for convenience and cost, digital formats are the way forward.

7. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

8. flash

Dependant upon what you play, try jamming more tracks in the mix (I currently mix whatever is coming along (hip-hop, top 40, house etc.) or shorten the blends down (e.g. 8 bars or less). Once your up in the 15-20 tracks an hour bracket (of course this wouldn't work with prog house) with short blends, there's far less time to get distracted.

9. JE:5

JE:5 Ten minutes from frozen

Just bought Traktor Scratch Pro, fucking brilliant piece of kit, worth every penny. The sound card looks and feels like it's been made for military use and sounds great, software runs fine on an ageing machine with only 512Mb RAM, top notch FX, higher resolution time code than Serato too.

10. nastybobby

nastybobby Well-Known Member

I suppose it really depends on what you are doing [or want to do in the future]. I've been 'producing' since I had a hardware set-up running from an atari 1040 and cubase back in the early 90's.

What you can do with Ableton Live Suite now really is amazing, especially if you get max 4 live as well. So if you are considering getting into production in the future, something like ableton is certainly the way to go. I've had a 'play' with Traktor and it is really simple to mix tracks together, especially with the sync button, but I'm not a dj, so I'm probably not the best person to ask. There are alternative DAW's to Ableton that you may prefer, such as Reason or Fruity Loops, you wont be able to do dj mixes like you can with ableton though.
    I'd have thought, the best thing to do is to get some demos of different DAWS to try them out [or you could get 'dodgy' versions, just to assess them!!!] Or search for tutorials on youtube to see which one you like the look of!

11. lunatrick

lunatrick space travel in my blood

for Djing Traktor no question, designed for it and can just act as a digi extension of a standard setup. I've never understood the idea of djing with ableton. I can understand producers using it as a live PA tool however if they want to play their own tracks, but I can't really see what's 'DJ' about it all, I mean I've never heard anyone djing with logic or cubase?

12. Metal Malcolm

Metal Malcolm ODT resident emo

Erm, not trying to boast, but I tend to be in the area of 30 tracks in an hour when using vinyl, never mind Ableton. 15-20 would be almost playing them beginning to end...

13. kage

kage half past pasty

Depends what you're playing really doesn't it? Pop & commercial yeah but most house/techno records intended for club playing are at least 5-6 mins, normally longer.

14. nastybobby

I think if you are just making mixes at home to share with friends/online then Ableton is really good IME. You can get really accurate and creative with the fx, which I think would be more

difficult just using Traktor.

15. flash

Well done (not being sarcastic) that's the kind of open format kind of level that your seeing in the clubs in the US, unless your using quick hitter edits, or scratching/cutting out of tracks you just can't get it done though. As I can't scratch out of something in Ableton, I just have to find a 4 bar window or loop that I can use as a bridge out to shorten a 7" edit (or make a quick hitter edit - 8 bars intro, verse, chorus, 8 bars outro). If your just using 7" edits, 15-20 tracks is reasonable I thought (if you can't scratch/rub/flare out). Started out playing house 12" on Ableton - got bored, had too much time on my hands, that's all I was getting at (when you have enough time to make a cup of tea between mixes you know there are issues).

16. flash

This basically. I've never looked at playing out (except for friends and as a favour here and there) and basically just wanted to indulge myself in putting a few edits together for fun and mixtapes here and there for in the car and for friends. I have always wanted to scratch though and Traktor would look to be the choice currently (it seems like it has a lot more going for it than Serato?? - I wouldn't know though as I haven't used either of them).

17. Kanda

Kanda Nosh Wagon

It's got a built in record function, loops and loads of effects.... Not difficult at all (if you can actually mix and be creative on the fly)

18. nastybobby

Sorry, I think it's the way it's been formatted it actually says: 'more difficult using traktor' I was just thinking about the ability to do a 'mix' basically 'offline' using ableton.
    In that you can line everything up [beats etc] and ensure they are working without actually committing to anything before you render it, in traktor, it's the same as mixing with vinyl in that
    if you 'fuck-up' when in record, then that is that session 'fucked'. You can't go back and fix it.

19. kage

kage half past pasty

Call me a snob but I personally feel that's where a lot of the charm and character comes from in a mix. The slight inconsistencies and the thrill of one wrong move being able to fuck it up. It's the difference between a 'mix' and a 'mix-tape'.

20. nastybobby

If it's someone doing it 'live' like in a club or wherever [with other people and distractions] then I don't mind hearing a bit of a 'clashing beat' or a slip on a fader or whatever. If someone's 'crafting' a mix at home I like it to be as sonically and structurally 'perfect' as it can be. There's no excuse when you are using something like ableton, it just strikes me as being sloppy if it aint 'perfect'. But then, I am a notoriously 'anal' [in the Freudian sense that is] twunt!

21. flash

+1 on this - definately, if I'm making a mixtape for in the car it has to be on the money, but also if your warpings tight and you have a good idea of what your going to play and have a set layout (like don't tell me someone on Traktor or Serato haven't organised their crates based on what they want to play or is going to be their routine) you can also do this "live" with Ableton. It's totally less technically required than using decks, if you've split your clips up, with Ableton it can come down to just launching scenes at the right point - but you still can't scratch with it :(:(:(