1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Guy Called Gerald vents his fury

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by Moronik, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Moronik

Moronik roughly humanoid

2. Fruitloop

Fruitloop communism will win

I agree with rat-head.
  3. Brixton Hatter

Brixton Hatter marquistador

Anyone who uses the term "EDM" can fuck right off. I agree with Gerald.
    al likes this.
  4. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

Im torn.

Beatmatching isn't a skill, you can do it if you can count to 4. Well I can count to 4 and still cant fucking do it however hard I try.

As far as rat-head is concerned his part in the performace is probably a piece of piss, but I bet his techs are doing a lot of work he hasnt even considered, lighting design, sound, etc etc....... Maybe he should be paid a minimal amount and the techs should get a lot more if its that easy. Fuck deadmau5, he makes shit tunes anyway.

As far as a guy called gerald, last time I saw him he had afrikan boy as an MC. That guys such a misogynistic prick I lost respect for both of them.
    Moronik likes this.
  5. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

DJ Sneak has been full on ranting about EDM and Swedish House Mafia and their ilk
  6. editor

editor Like an ultra left hatboy on heat

What is EDM?
  7. sim667

Electronic dance music im assuming

theyre clearly just trying to make it sound poncy like IDM
  8. Kanda

Kanda Nosh Wagon

9. tommers

tommers I did it!

What's IDM?!?
  10. tommers

tommers I did it!

Haha, Intelligent Dance Music. I forgot about that. What a load of twats.
  11. Moronik

Moronik roughly humanoid

Intelligent Dance Music
  12. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

there is a fair amount of kerfuffle going on in the house community in the US over 'EDM' DJ's and the growth of those kind of festivals and table service in clubs.

Mark Farina, who has been DJ'ing since forever got a gig cancelled at a club in Vegas recently as the high rollers on the waitered table service didn't want to listen to house music anymore.

http://blogs.lasvegascitylife.com/cityblog/2012/06/03/dj-mark-farina-bumped-off-at-marquee/

People like DJ Sneak have been railing publically about Swedish House Mafia, David Guetta etc.

There have been some amusing twitterspats. its all a bit weird, but then we live in Europe where you go to a club or party to get twatted and dance, not sit on a waitered table demanding hip hop when the DJ is playing house or whatever.
    Apathy likes this.
  13. Orang Utan

Orang Utan like an outdated combine harvester

Beatmatching is pretty difficult and not everyone can do it. It's also quite skill to know what tune sounds good with what other tune, when to mix it in, when to mix it out, etc.
    Mebbe he attends lots of raves where not much thought or care is put into it.
    Anyway, you don't need to be able to beatmatch anymore as you can use software to do it, while you concentrate on the selection and effects/eq, so now even more people can do it.
    So I'm torn too.
    Fez909 and el-ahrairah like this.
  14. editor

I'm glad there's been a real shift back to live music in the last five years or so.
    dessiato likes this.
  15. Orang Utan

I'm not. I'd still rather hear someone playing records!
  16. sim667

Software doesnt beatmatch aswell as people think though.
  17. Orang Utan

Really? Shame
    sim667 likes this.
  18. Moronik

Moronik roughly humanoid

Beatmatching can be difficult depending on what music you are playing. Its a skill not a talent, and can take some time to master, although some people pick it up faster than others.

If beat-matching is so easy as Rat-face claims, why isnt he doing it? Because he is concentrating on the FX/selection?
    Good DJs do both. If you are good at beat-matching, it obviously allows you more free time to concentrate on FX/selection.

Deadmau5 is a producer, with a producer's mindset, which is fine. I just dont understand why he is so arrogant. He got big by dressing silly and making pedestrian music. Where does he get this arrogance from?

Also: 'not making original music on the fly?' If you got a whole bunch of loops its easy to make original music on the fly using Ableton. Loads of people do it. What is he on about?
    ddraig likes this.
  19. Orang Utan

Why does Gerald mean by the Palestinian comment? :hmm:
    DrRingDing likes this.
  20. Moronik

Moronik roughly humanoid

Dunno...! :confused:
  21. Orang Utan

It's a bit odd, esp as I think Deadmaus is Jewish
  22. Moronik

Moronik roughly humanoid

Deadmau5 is really starting to piss me off lately. I was pretty oblivious to him until this year. Now he seems to be popping up everywhere talking shit about people. He seems to think he is the worlds spokesman for dance music.
  23. Yelkcub

Yelkcub Awesome Narcissist

A mate of mine has described as the Michael O'Leary of dance. I assume he means that he's just shouting out controversial things for publicity, not that Deadmaus wants to charge me for having a piss
  24. editor

Exciting, isn't it?
  25. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Untermensch, and proud!

Ecuadorean nose-talcum?
    Moronik likes this.
  26. Orang Utan

Yeah, it's ace dancing to loud music that's not distorted by live sound
  27. editor

You mean like dancing to a good band? Yes, I concur.
  28. 8ball

8ball Rusty Spoons...

Even better through a phone when on the bus.
    editor likes this.
  29. Grandma Death

Grandma Death Reconfiguring & Reconstructing

SHM are dire and I for one am glad they're splitting up.
    Dan U likes this.
  30. Orang Utan

Nah, records are usually better as they sound better as nothing goes wrong,
    Especially 'dance' music