1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7.2 earthquake in Christchurch - NewZealand

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by xes, Sep 3, 2010.

1. xes

xes F.O.A.D

2. xes

xes F.O.A.D

3. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

Just checked where the 2 friends I know who live in New Zealand these days are located, one of them has Christchurch as his location, hope he is ok. If the power is out it may be some time before I can find out.

4. Orang Utan

Orang Utan like an outdated combine harvester

shit, a lot of my family live near there

5. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

6. Orang Utan

Orang Utan like an outdated combine harvester

it doesn't seem that serious. phew.

7. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

Yeah initial indications of damage seem to be a few older buildings in the centre and facades falling off.

Just heard from a relative of my friend that he is ok, no power though, and has gone back to sleep :D

8. xes

xes F.O.A.D

Glad it's not been a bad one, it could have been alot worse. It wasn't even "the big one" that new zealanders are waiting for. Hope this didn't wake the big one up.

9. abe11825

abe11825 Like to take a cement fix

hey, why worry? When in doubt, sleep it out! Glad he's safe!

Still, an earthquake is an earthquake.. 2012 might be closer then we think, with all the destruction. New England is currently waiting Hurricane Earl's destruction, but it's a lowly category 1 at the moment. I'm thinking we're not going to get damage. Only rain, thus far!

10. lizzieloo

lizzieloo Up yer bum

Declared state of emergency in Kaiapoi

11. Mrs Magpie

Mrs Magpie On a bit of break...

12. lizzieloo

lizzieloo Up yer bum

13. jusali

jusali Back from the brink!

Staggering that more weren't injured a testimony the Kiwi's forethought in building regulations.
    Such a shame to see so many historic buildings I've been to devastated by the quake.
    Looks like our friends got off lightly too!

14. frogwoman

frogwoman I welcome your experience

15. gabi

gabi Well-Known Member

quakes are a daily occurence in nz. Think this one was slightly overplayed.

16. lizzieloo

lizzieloo Up yer bum

17. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

My friend has got power back and has posted a load of photos. The road outside his house is broken, so whilst this isnt a devastating earthquake that killed a lot of people, its well beyond what they are used to out there.

18. jusali

Appaerently you can't flush the bog and have to boil your water. Massive infrastructure job to detect and fix that lot I expect

19. gabi

gabi Well-Known Member

Lizziloo, I'm from Wellington. Quakes are an everyday occurence. Pretty funny that our entire cabinet was moved to the underground bunker beneath the beehive. Genuine lol there. Echos of flight of the conchords.

Nothing happens in nz. That's the only reason this is being seen as news. Also another lol at christchurch being described as heavily populated. Has the op been there? It's not Haiti let's just say that.

20. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

Roads being all broken isnt news then?

21. kyser_soze

kyser_soze Hawking's Angry Eyebrow

Same lol here. It's about as populated as a small-medium county town in the UK, over about 8 times the area.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/christchurch-earthquake-state-of-emergency-extended-20100906-14wht.html

The fact it's St Johns Ambulance providing medical support should tell you a lot...

22. LDR

LDR kiwitanga

I believe Christchurch is the second biggest city in NZ, so heavily populated by NZ standards.

The street my Good Lady Wife lived in as a child was so badly damaged that it can no longer take traffic. It's not a huge disaster on a global scale but still pretty big for NZ.

23. jusali

Oh how we laughed!

24. lizzieloo

lizzieloo Up yer bum

I know you're from New Zealand, and I'm sure you've experienced earthquakes, were you in Christchurch during this one?

25. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

Given that a lot of the building damage seems to have been the fronts falling off shops etc, and the state of some of the roads, it seems like it was actually a good thing this one happened at night. As opposed to earthquakes that cause more destruction of buildings where you dont want lots of people asleep in them at the time.

26. teuchter

teuchter *worse than Sean Connery in every regard*

[​IMG]

Pictures like this are so fascinating that it makes me think "I wish we had earthquakes here" but on balance maybe I'd rather we didn't.

27. Idris2002

Idris2002 heaven knows I'm morrisey now

28. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

Thats a pretty good example of the extremist libertarian stance - silly fuckers with their unworkable views of the world, worthy only of ridicule.

29. Idris2002

Idris2002 heaven knows I'm morrisey now

One of the few things I disliked about NZ was that the place seemed to be crawling with them, the stupid bastards.

30. elbows

elbows WoeTimer