1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3rd ODI vs South Africa

Discussion in 'general sports' started by Santino, Aug 29, 2008.

1. ScallyWag II

ScallyWag II New Member

Silly question time, why has Morne Morkel (who is just out!) got A.Morkel written on his shirt? What is Morne short for, if anything? :confused:

Good bowling by Patel :cool:
  2. JTG

JTG Petulant Mr Festival

probably, but it won't be the first time a side have switched off after doing the hard work. in the end, the only important ODIs are at the World Cup, the rest is just practice
  3. mattie

mattie missing in inaction

Freddie and Harmison must be pretty much the most intimidating first changes seen in ODIs. We've also got quite a few in the lower order who can hold a bat, Freddie adds a bit more reputation to it as well.
  4. JTG

JTG Petulant Mr Festival

His full name is Morne Morkel. Cricketers without multiple initials disappoint me :(
  5. TrippyLondoner

TrippyLondoner Well-Known Member

Agreed.
  6. ScallyWag II

ScallyWag II New Member

Atherton has just reitterated this on the sky commentary pretty much, as in once a visiting side have won a test series, they have their eyes on the plane home.

Still a 5-0 win in this ODI would apparently bounce England up into 2nd place in the standings :eek: That's quite a jump! tbh i hope it keeps on giving England's players more and more confidence and form ready for 2009!
  7. JTG

JTG Petulant Mr Festival

yeah, it's useful in that sense and I'm not unhappy. Would rather win the important matches though
  8. TrippyLondoner

^ Yeh Atherton said that, the other commentator said that SA usually want to win every game they play and he wouldn't associate them with that kind of mentality.
  9. JTG

JTG Petulant Mr Festival

In SA three and a half years ago, the Safs panelled us after losing the Tests. KP did well (three centuries) but he had a point to prove.
  10. TrippyLondoner

170 all out 3-0 series win! Good old patel.
  11. ScallyWag II

ScallyWag II New Member

Oh way to go Patel!!! 5 wickets :cool:
  12. JTG

JTG Petulant Mr Festival

I would, they're a weird lot. Not exactly Australian when it comes to that sort of thing, though they like to think they are
  13. TrippyLondoner

Would rather win 3-0 than get hammered 3-0, thats how i look at it anyway!
  14. JTG

JTG Petulant Mr Festival

well of course. I don't think the safs are trying to lose. After last week though they may well be half thinking 'sod this, let's go home'
  15. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus would be a rubbish god

Before Ponting, Australia would regularly lose dead rubbers, too.

Thing is, they have done the important thing – winning the test series. The disappointing thing for me is that I genuinely think England are the better team, and they probably should have won the test series. South Africa miss Pollock.
  16. TrippyLondoner

If we had an on form harmison and flintoff in the test team, we would've won it.
  17. rapattaque

rapattaque At fighting weight

Nah, it's the KP revolution, end of. Everything is going to be absolutely brilliant in English and Welsh cricket from now onwards!
  18. TrippyLondoner

19. Flashman

Flashman wtf did I do?

Agree with JTG the only ODIs that matter are at the WC, so the rest are just practice/bedding a team in.

To win a series against the Yaaaaarps is good going of course, hopefully we can get a decent team together for a change and this one is looking not too shabby at all.

Early days though innit.
  20. mhwfc

mhwfc Anna Karina, Aleem Dar

Missing the last ball for an advert is ridiculous, especially on a premium channel which costs circa £480 a year to watch, IMO they have a cheek having ads on there at all, other premium services like HBO in the States or Canal+ in France don't.

Would never have happened on Channel 4 or S4C, indeed I can remember many times when they cut away from an advert half way through because the next over was about to start.