1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2001: best single/album

Discussion in '2001: review' started by editor, Dec 7, 2001.

1. editor

editor Got a fever +the only prescription is more cowbell

Let's hear what tunes meant the most to you in 2001 meant to you!

I'l be archiving this forum so please keep your postings on topic and take any subsequent debate into the appropriate forum!!

[ 09 December 2001: Message edited by: editor ]

2. Voley

Voley "This huge hill of flesh"

Radiohead 'Pyramid Song': Weird, jumpy piano-led rhythm and beautiful lyrics about black-eyed angels swimming with you. Welcome to the odd but wonderful mind of Thom Yorke. :)

Spiritualized 'Out Of Sight': Ode to hedonism with just the slightest tinge of Catholic guilt. "If I was good I could add some years to my life - I would rather add some life to my years." Indeed. My personal anthem. [​IMG]

Ian Brown "F.E.A.R.": Just why he decided to write a song in which every word begins with F, E, A, or R is beyond me. But I'm glad he did: it's a cracking tune.

Bjork: "Hidden Place" The best female voice in the world backed by an Eskimo Choir. Inuit, innit. ;)

Mark B And Blade: "Ya Don't See The Signs (Grant Nicholas Remix)" Ace braggy, shouty hip-hop over wicked choppy guitar. The only thing that has anything to do with Feeder that's ever been any good.

3. Walter Mitty

Walter Mitty Seasoned lizard hunter

'All is dream' by Mercury Rev was imho the best album of the year.

4. orangeade

orangeade tranquillo

mail burner is right, the Rev's 'All is Dream' is great! But is it better than 'let it come Down'? Mmmm....

Or p'raps 'Vespertine' is best. Yes, i think Vespertine is best, mind made up! :D ;)

5. Tank Girl

Tank Girl ........

Erm, I'm useless at saying what my faves are, as soon as I've made my mind up, I think of something else... but at the moment I would say Simple Things - Zero 7

Best single? For just sheer happy singing-alongness it has to be Teenage Dirtbag - Wheatus :oops:

Tanky xx

6. corporate whore

corporate whore oh, thought you were dead

Album - Polly Harvey's Songs of Stuff, or whatever it was called.

Single - Orbital's Funny Breakz

7. secretsquirrel

secretsquirrel Respectable married lady

Way Out West 'Intensify' and Nikka Costa 'Everybody Got Their Something' have been played to death on my minidisc

Stand out tracks are WOW 'Mindcircus' - just total blissed out sun dappled loveliness and the title track and 'Hope It Felt Good' from the latter. The girl got lungs and she knows how to use them.

Also, The Avalanches just for sheer originality and Playgroup 'cause the more you listen to it, the better it gets and the first two tracks are exercises in toe tapping perfection. :)

8. zampano

zampano New Member

single - kylie - cant get you out of my head - total single

album - pj harvey - songs from the...
    some of the most beautiful songs ever - never liked her shouty shite - this has a calmness and serenity that i have never heard in a record before</sonic cathedral bit>

song - radiohead - true love waits - even tho they released a shit version of it - fucking amazing song even by their standards - heartbreaking song with a totally spooky atmosphere underneath - "just..dont leave" - she still did tho'

choon of year - nada - just one loop or hairy diamond - givin' up
    for giving me a wee bit of lite relief

[ 11 December 2001: Message edited by: zampano ]

9. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

Anyone who thinks any song this year is better than Missy Elliot's Get Ur Freak On is insane on every recognised scale.

10. TinyCrendon

TinyCrendon New Member

Oh No (Oxide Remix) - So Solid Crew
    Girls Girls Girls - Jay-Z
    All of Kenny Lattimore's new album Weekend, apart from the title track Weekend, which is just weak.

11. Leon

Leon Marmite Warrior

S Club or Kylie - two perfect pop ditties.

12. darkhorse

darkhorse New Member

Freshest sound of 2001? Has to be Roots Manuva - Witness (1 Hope) single of the year for me, and the album, Run Come Save Me comes pretty damn high too!
    Not to mention...The Gotan Project, Herbert, Ninja's Solid Steel, Missy Elliot, Royksopp...I could go on....

13. zehner

zehner Guest

My fave tunes:
    Cylob "Rewind" and Fischerspooner "Emerge".

Many a night have I danced on the sofa to these wicked ditties.

14. DarkSparkles

DarkSparkles Guest

Ack... now this is a tricky one, being an American and having no good new music to choose from... at least almost none...

For now I'll have to go with Schism by Tool.

15. katcuz

katcuz Chaaarrr!!!

Aha, and no mention of the Strokes so far. Suck on that NME.

Well the best album this year was Amnesiac.

Loadsa great singles this year. Love love love Bubba Sparxxx and Missy's. Roots Manuva's Witness (One Hope) and that I'm So Crazy song by Part-n-one were corkin' too.

How bout what songs should have been singles? Who's Got The Crack by the Moldy Peachys perhaps...? Far superior than Afroman's drug chart effort.

16. Mechanical Wonder (pity it only got to 46 in the charts) and Daydream in Blue (ultimate summer song)

Album : Amnesiac

17. sheothebudworths

sheothebudworths Up the bum - no babies!!!

Without a doubt (for me), Ian Brown - Music of the spheres. Fucking fabulous.
    NVP ?
    You _know_ it's worth more than a 'single' mention.
    Heh-heh-heh-heh. :)
    On behalf of my mum, may I vote for Billy Bragg (she's just 'discovered' him - 'Modern folk' she'd probably call it :eek: ).

18. kakuma

kakuma Banned Banned

where loving it lovin it lovin it where lovin it like this....!

19. itsbruce

itsbruce Guest

Fatboy Slim: Halfway between the gutter and the stars

20. mach v

mach v la-di-dah liberal wuss

Single: Missy Elliot "Get ur Freak On"
    LP: Pressure Rise "Focus"

21. han

han brixton hill hobbit

YES YES YES YES and again fuckin' YES!!!
    I agree :)

22. han

han brixton hill hobbit

oh and for sheer disco-diva soul-wrenching funkiness:
    'Finally' by the Kings of Tomorrow (single) :)

23. cultureslut

cultureslut Lazy Student...

Staind for album... Break the Cycle...

Liked Jimmey Eat World's album and the Single (Bleed American or Salt Sweat Sugar, whichever you want to call it, although i have the former...)

24. mach v

mach v la-di-dah liberal wuss

hanta:

Int'it? Just the best hiphop/soul/rnb/rap/drumandbass/bangra tune that I've ever heard. It crosses almost every modern alternative dance boundary in easy, almost seamless stride. Truly a BOMB!

PS - Han, U coming down t'pup on Friday?

25. han

han brixton hill hobbit

Yes, I'm coming t't pub.
    :)

Yes, it's a top tune - very genre-crossing, and by a totally in yer face sista!
    The video's brill, too :)

26. boomclick

boomclick New Member

albums:
    root manuva 'run come save me'
    royskopp 'melody AM'
    zero 7 ' simple things'
    quantic 'quantic'
    tetris 'tetris'

singles:
    missy elliot 'gyfo'
    bubba sparx 'ugly'
    eric sermon + marvin gaye 'music'

it's been the best year for music for a long time imho...

shame about all the nostalgia shite - and the bootleg 'craze' is just monkey spunk...

27. quamp

quamp Do u really want to know?

Hmm... best songs and CDs of 2001... that's a tough choice there.

For CD, it would be a tie between They Might Be Giant's Mink Car and R.E.M.'s Reveal.
    For single, there are just too many to mention. :oops:

28. nubreed

nubreed Guest

I was impressed by the new Slayer album but you'd have to be of a certain mindset to get it. Star69 by Fatboyslim was wicked too.

Best Acid Techno I heard this year was courtesy of Havok Records so fuck you London. Pull yer fingers out yer arse ya southern pansies!:) No disrespect to anyone who plays Antiworld.