1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1972 - The worst year in music? It has to be ...

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by SS 2-200, Jun 10, 2012.

1. SS 2-200

SS 2-200 banned Banned

I'm well into the process of transferring my huge 'BBC In Concert' collection to digital. I've just had the misfortune of spending the last few hours listening to The Incredible String Band, Hawkwind, Genesis, Yes, Camel and Soft Machine. I now want to kill.

There cannot surely be a more annoying, pretentious, boring, hippy trippy, self indulgent, 'pile of shite' music year than 1972?

Unless you know better ...
  2. ska invita

ska invita yes yes

No chance - the 60s and 70s produced so much incredible music... the hippies stuff may have peaked and gotten bloated but lots of great stuff going on in the jazz and funk worlds

this the album of the year?
    [​IMG]
    Steve also released Music Of My Mind in 1972

more 72 albums
    Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars
    Exile on Main St.
    Transformer Lou Reed
    On The Corner Miles Davis
    Neu!
    Donald Byrd Black Byrd
    The World Is A Ghetto War
    Super Fly Curtis Mayfield
    Let's Stay Together Al Green
    I'm Still In Love With You Al Green
    Clear Spot Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band
    Gumbo Dr. John
    Zeit Tangerine Dream
    isvicthere?, Reno, Shreddy and 16 others like this.
  3. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

I quite liked 1972, wait till you get to 74/75 :(
  4. SS 2-200

SS 2-200 banned Banned

Already have! I'm working down. If I'd done it the other way round, after '72 I'd have chucked in the towel. I'm also adding Yes and Kevin Ayers to the list by the way - tedious drivel.

I've done so many of these without any thought of boredom for any particular year so far, 1972 just seemed to stand out particularly badly. '74/'75 was far more enjoyable to do - Dr Feelgood, Deep Purple, Queen, Thin Lizzy, Jess Roden, Robin Trower, Climax Blues Band, etc. etc., definitley not so tedious.

The '80's was the most enjoyable of all.
  5. ska invita

ska invita yes yes

What was this series?
  6. southside

southside Banned

Unlike now where we've got Jedward and Justin Bieber :rolleyes:
    Guineveretoo likes this.
  7. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Bound for glory

Round about 2007 everything got pretty dire. Maybe music has got worse since then but I wouldn't know because that's about when I stopped listening to new music altogether.
  8. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

I think our tastes differ :) None of the bands you've mentioned (cept Kevin Ayres) did much for me, then or since, but after the great years of the mid to late 70s the 80s felt packaged, flat and tired.

e2a, that's too sweeping ... a lot of the 80s...
  9. editor

editor Like an ultra left hatboy on heat

10. two sheds

two sheds not as daft as i look

Close to the Edge and Foxtrot were class albums. You have no taste :) .

Eta - what ed said, there's fucking loads of great albums there.
  11. SS 2-200

SS 2-200 banned Banned

Not a series, just my collection that I've recorded (and acquired) down the years.
  12. SS 2-200

SS 2-200 banned Banned

You have far more choice now than ever before. You don't have to have Bieber and Jedward if you don't want to - unless of course you do want Bieber and Jedward?

Good music isn't difficult to find.
    QueenOfGoths likes this.
  13. Maggot

Maggot Grubs up!

You're biased cos Led Zeppelin didn't release anything that year. ;)
  14. nino_savatte

nino_savatte No pasaran!

There's nothing wrong with Hawkwind. They were proto-punks. Yes are truly shite though.
    cozmikbrew and Blagsta like this.
  15. Knotted

Knotted Too much dancing on the fight floor

Shooting at the Moon is a great record. I once spent an entire day just listening to it again and again (without drugs). It was released in 1971, though.

Surely the worst year in music was 1987. I actually just stopped listening to pop music at all in 1987. I gave up in despair. I couldn't even listen to the charts ironically. I'm pretty good at listening to shit ironically as well - including that thing where you're sort of being ironic and you like it at the same time. I think 1987 was the reason I started listening to stuff like Kevin Ayers.
  16. SS 2-200

SS 2-200 banned Banned

They didn't, but that's because from January to August of '72 they were recording the weakest and worst offering of their entire career - 'Houses Of The Holy' - another festering pile of shite from that very same cursed year.

See, '72 really was a duffer ;)
  17. SS 2-200

SS 2-200 banned Banned

I'd certainly agree with 1987 but I'd also add 1982 as a barren year too.
  18. Termite Man

Termite Man zombie flesh eater

John Cale released The Academy in Peril in 1972 and thats a good record
  19. two sheds

two sheds not as daft as i look

King Crimson, Beat, 1982. So not barren either.
  20. Blagsta

Blagsta Minimum cage, maximum cage

21. savoloysam

savoloysam Waiting for Greebo to like my latest posts.

It gets worse every year. For all the the hate of the prog rock at least they all played their instruments and could work out complex arrangrments, even if they did bore the pants off you.

What do we have now? Computerised shite with 16 year old signing numpties giving it the biggun, No art to it at all. Just another twat behind another computer. fuck that for a game of soilders.
  22. killer b

killer b curled up on the sofa

23. Pickman's model

Pickman's model let's kill the king

the issue is that you listened to what people were listening to in 1972. everyone knows that chart music has almost always been utter shit. look at what was in the charts in the 1960s, when people could have been listening to what is now considered top 60s music they were buying very different tunes.
  24. killer b

Unless you're joking. In which case, lol.
    Guineveretoo likes this.
  25. King Biscuit Time

King Biscuit Time The highest British attention to the wrong detail.

There was thoughtless shit music in 1972 - There is a thoughtless shit music now.

There is fucking fantastic music now, there was fucking fantastic music in 1972.

Stop whining and go and find something you like for fucks sake - it's never been easier.
    Guineveretoo and QueenOfGoths like this.
  26. savoloysam

My opinion, you can like it of fuck off basically.

True crap music back then as well. What the fuck is good today?
  27. killer b

Loads, you cloth eared dickhead.
    Blagsta likes this.
  28. savoloysam

29. King Biscuit Time

King Biscuit Time The highest British attention to the wrong detail.

Um, it's kind of subjective. But it's never been easier to find music you like than it is today.
  30. killer b

such as loads of stuff you probably don't like, cause it isn't the music you liked when you were 17.