1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion in 'computers, web and general tech' started by wordie, Jul 8, 2009.

1. wordie

wordie What's in a word?

My router has this IP address listed as an "attached device."

I can't find any information as to where this IP address may have come from, or even if it is leaching bandwidth from my ISP.

As a relative simpleton when it comes to IT (lots of acronyms beginning with "I") hopefully someone will be able to shed some light on what's happening here.....

Additional info: This "attached device" with this IP address has a MAC Address!

Any thoughts, anyone?
  2. mauvais

mauvais ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

It's a local IP so it doesn't tell us anything. I assume it's not your PC's IP address?
  3. lozenge

lozenge suck it and see

How many computers do you think should be attached to your router?
    If you tell us what Operating system & version it's running (eg Win XP / Win Vista / Mac OS X / Ubuntu Linux 9.04 -- are all possible answers)
    someone here will be able to tell you how to check which IPs your machine(s) is/are using.
    All devices have a MAC (aka 'hardware') address - if you tell us the first 6 characters we can probably tell you who makes the network card if it hasn't been spoofed.

Chances are that if this shows up as the only attached device, it's probably your PC.
  4. wordie

wordie What's in a word?

Thanks for the thinking. I sort of thought that it may have been that earlier, but it's not my PC (which is a Mac, so I can see that it's not that.)

I'm sort of thinking it may be a printer connected to the LAN.... Does that make any sense to anyone?
  5. wordie

wordie What's in a word?

Thanks for sharing your wisdom. I knew none of that, and it makes total sense. See my comment above for more details.

I've only got one Apple Mac attached right now, so the unknown "attached device" is either an alien, or possibly a peripheral.... The MAC address starts with: 00:14:38:E9:

Does this gobbledygook have any logic that I'm missing?
  6. lozenge

lozenge suck it and see

that "gobbledygook" is sufficient to identify it as manufactured by Hewlett Packard, so if your printer is made by HP then yes, it's that :)
  7. wordie

wordie What's in a word?

Thanks lozenge; you're a diamond! Now all I need to work out is why my connection has slowed to a crawl... and surely Michael Jackson can't be the entire reason? :)
  8. boskysquelch

boskysquelch Banned Banned

if it were mine I'd kill the Network Preferences and re-do'em, for a start.